Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Please add a warning to Release Notes when a new version forces full reimport

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Hyp-X, May 28, 2020.

1. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

This is a request for the Unity release team.

Please add a Warning to the Release Notes when a new Unity version forces full reimport of the project!
    This usually requires careful scheduling to avoid hours of lost productivity.

Recent versions that forced a full reimport (*):
    2019.3.14f1
    2020.1.0b9
    2020.1.0b10

* when updating from the previous version of the same release branch

2. iamarugin

iamarugin

3. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Big plus one from my side, I am wasting 6+ hours every time this happens. Happened again with 2019.3.15 just today which is super annoying.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I've forwarded the feedback. I'll get back to you when I have an update.

5. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thank you!

LeonhardP likes this.
  6. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

b11 is without, just fyi.

7. 00christian00

00christian00

For me since a while every version of the same branch forces full reimport and I don't understand why.
    Probably since 2019.3

8. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

I think I'm partly responsible for this :p. I've been filing quiet a few bug reports related to performance regressions in asset pipeline, and the fixes seem to force reimport the project because of the changes to imported files' cache, especially the hashes. Also, sometimes a new version forces a new version of the scriptable build pipeline which may have something to do with this too.

But yeah, a warning would be cool, because when you start the reimport you have to go through with it, as it already dirtied the library folder anyway.

TJHeuvel-net and phobos2077 like this.
  9. Baste

Baste

afaik, there's nothing in the unity version that says "reimport the project if it's older". The way it works is that Unity checks if the format of any files have changed, and if so updates (reimports) those files. So this is very project-dependent - Unity can't know if it's a big reimport or not.

Unless it's one of those instances where the format of every file changes - like a few years back when the .meta file content changed.

Anyway, Unity could do some metrics where they had a pretty large project or two that they imported from one version to the next, and then they could add a notice if the reimport was longer than normal.

phobos2077 likes this.