Search Unity

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Can't believe I didn't notice that one earlier... Really impressive quality. I just wished you could showcase the storm and the waves under this condition with some more light. I's way too dark to really enjoy the beauty of this in the video. I know... I just need to be critical at some point :)

2. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks! Check out the Weather Demo. Ones in the asset store description are currently way outdated.

3. Elecman

Elecman

4. zuzzu

zuzzu

5. arkon

arkon

Is there any chance that someone that has bought this asset can try it on IOS specifically to an iPad please. I am in desperate need for mobile oceans but so far nothing has fit the bill. I'd like to know A) does it work on IOS and B) what is the frame rate like with just an ocean on screen. Thanks anyone that can give this a try for me.

6. zuzzu

zuzzu

Definitely won't work on iPad 2. On others - possibly, but still mobile features are not fun to use at the moment and it may not work at all.

I've a good looking reflective water implementation with Gerstner waves for mobiles, getting 30 fps on iPad 2 and need to port it to this system. I've hoped to do it this month, but had to do some unplanned features. I need this badly too, so it's still possible I will get to it in December, but probably I won't make it until January.

7. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

zuzzu,

Any date yet for the release of the update with the shore foam? I am looking forward to it.

Regards,
    Carlos

8. zuzzu

zuzzu

I've almost finished fluids in tanks etc.

I'm going to work on shorelines for the next week. I will keep you updated.

ThunderTruck and John-G like this.
  9. zuzzu

zuzzu

Isn't this cool? :D

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

Clipboard03.png

Clipboard04.png

Clipboard05.png

I will include this in 1.1 RC4. It will most probably be the final release candidate of 1.1.

You may make aquariums, glasses of water or just some abstract stuff like above with this.

10. GXMark

GXMark

I purchased Playway Water product and its beautiful to look at but I have some question which I'm struggling to understand.

1. When I set the level of water with the Y Transform I don't seem to be able to trigger the underwater effect. It seems to be looking for a Y=0. How do I trigger on a water height of say 30m ?

2. I have scion filmic but I noticed a lot of other image effect components either turned on or turned off which are still part of the game objects. I don't understand why and it needs cleaning up in the demo's.

3. The subtractive volume demo works but the camera needs better placement to use it and some better explanation on screen how to use.

11. zuzzu

zuzzu

It was fixed in 1.1 RC3. Would you like to get it?

I was in hurry, sorry. I will clean it a bit :) Disabled image effects are not used.

I've removed this demo in 1.1 RC4 and I'm going to make a better one soon. I've delayed making a proper demo for "volumetric" features as I'm constantly improving them and there is more things to present with each update.

12. GXMark

GXMark

13. Seith

Seith

That looks very nice indeed! :)

I'm glad to hear you're starting work on shorelines. Do you have any ETA about being able to get water to interact (eg: small disturbance) with a third-person player capsule?

14. Kratharin

Kratharin

I have this issues on AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series.

15. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

zuzzu,

That is great to hear! I can' t wait to see your solution for the shoreline. That water in containers looks really awesome! How big would a container to work smoothly, good framerate?

Regards,
    Carlos

16. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

How this product compared with ceto in terms of features? Also i download the webdemo and i got artifacts everywhere on the screen on an AMD 5970, the only setting that work was fastest.

Regards

17. zuzzu

zuzzu

January at most. I'm not sure atm when I will be able to get to it, sorry.

This should work fine with containers of any size. You may assemble them from multiple meshes, to make CPU cull some of the unnecessary geometry.

I have tested 1.1 on your card and it works fine now. You may see it working in the Weather Demo. I currently have only one report of issue on AMD GPU, but it's editor-only and it's most probably fixed in upcoming 1.1 RC4.

Try the Weather Demo. It's based on a newer version, fixed for AMD. As of comparison to ceto, compare the demos and make a decision for yourself. You may also look over the features list in the opening post and some of the later ones.

Seith likes this.
  18. Elecman

Elecman

With the new weather demo, you can't change to another preset and you have to wait for a while in order to change it again. If this is intentional, I suggest changing that. Also, for a while I thought making a preset change didn't do much in the first place. Only after a while I noticed the change was gradual. I suggest making this "feature" more obvious, like with a countdown or something.

Also, it would look much better if the ship has pitch and roll applied, not just bobbing up and down.

One more thing, if you look toward the sun, you can see a beautiful realistic stretched reflection. However, if you look just to the side of it, you can see a second spherical sun reflection in the water. Can you fix that?

Other than that, great work!

hopeful likes this.
  19. zuzzu

zuzzu

It's fixed in 1.1 RC4. I will upload a new demo a bit later.

John-G likes this.
  20. _invalidusername

_invalidusername

There seems to be some issues on mac, in the weather demo the waves are flat regardless of which weather preset you've selected and there is a strange color issue when the camera goes beneath the water

On the tropical demo there is also some issues when the camera goes underwater

OS X El Capitan 10.11
    Nvidia GeForce GT640 2047 MB

21. zuzzu

zuzzu

It seems that compute shaders don't work correctly on your system. Would you be interested in helping me diagnose this?

_invalidusername likes this.
  22. GXMark

GXMark

Yes I can confirm that on the Mac Pro that the waves do in fact not work correctly (flat).

The error coming up on my console is

Shader warning in "Spectral variances.compute" Buffer count exceeding default GL_MAX_SHADER_STORAGE_BUFFER.ENDINGS. Shader might not work on all HW. Consider combining separate buffers into one containing struct elements (on gles3)

23. zuzzu

zuzzu

That warning no longer appears as of 1.1 RC4. Still, this should be harmless for all desktop gpus.

Waves should also work on all Macs from now on.

The only thing that I can't explain are these trippy colours. Does that happen on your Mac too?

24. _invalidusername

_invalidusername

Sure, I would love to help

25. GXMark

GXMark

Trippy colours ? Was not seeing anything like that on the Mac Pro I have just flat looking waves looking like a mill pond.

I have a friend who has a Mac and would love to try out my game but I would need a copy of the RC4 to do this. Also we would be more than delighted to give it a complete test and give you feedback. I am a paying customer of your product.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  26. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Just watch the weather demo and wow i must admit your water look gorgeous but some of the effects like crest on wave and spray are braking the illusion but i guess we can change that.

Also the ship buoyancy is terribly wrong in heavy storm condition so any chance you will updated a decent buoyancy system in the near future?

Last question can we get the waves height just like in ceto?

27. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks. Crests may be flattened in 1.1 RC4. I will be working on spray later, as there are already more user requests than I can handle atm ;)

It's actually correct, but I have left too high rigidbody drag making it behave too stiff. I will upload a new demo soon.

Yes, all such computations are done in the background to not impact the performance. That means that you get your result with one frame delay unless you will force its completion.

28. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

@zuzzu

Hi. I have one question (Setting your asset is hard in night time ;) ):
    When i set my water to position y >0 (66 in my game)- planar reflection camera still located at 0 and reflection has offset on 66 units. This is optimization feature or bug?
    aadf98d5eb7b8967902b90ecb6e6d1f0.png

29. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hi. It's fixed in 1.1 RC4 ;)

I was going to package it today, but I'm tired already. I will send it to you tomorrow.

30. CugotaEric

CugotaEric

damn i just discovered this plugin and i want to buy it so hard >_< , will have to wait for any (hopefully) christmas deal, 100$ plugins are not made for the student's wallets. still, keep up the hard work, this looks amazing.

31. CugotaEric

CugotaEric

also , my mac mini also shows flat waves on the weather demo , and if you try to enter the water, the trippy colours are shown. not a single error is shown via firefox console, though.

32. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks for a report.

Waves are probably fixed already. Cheerful colours are being worked on ;)

33. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

@zuzzu
    You will add new version on asset store?

34. GXMark

GXMark

Any chance of a copy of the RC4 as I want to use it with Mac

35. zuzzu

zuzzu

I will send RC4 to everyone interested in an hour.

I'm uploading it on a network drive right now. I will upload a final 1.1 release to the asset store in a couple of days, if everything is fine with RC4.

I've managed to fix Mac issues on the hardware that I had available so you should be good to go. Temporarily you will need to disable volumetric lighting on at least one quality level to force inclusion of the missing shader.

36. TrentR

TrentR

@zuzzu Hi, I am interested in your water asset for our game. However we have a not so typical situation and I am wondering if your water asset could be adapted to our needs. We have several procedurally generated planets in our game that have spherical maps. Would it be possible to adapt your water assets to wrap around a sphere to use for our bodies of water?

37. GXMark

GXMark

Would you be able to explain some things RC4

1. What does the reflection probe do for the water? Does it have a particular position based on water height?
    2. If using a package like Time of Day, should the reflection probe and camera be set to solid color or skybox?
    3. How to increase the reflection of the sun on the water. I notice the moon is not reflecting on the water at night?

38. zuzzu

zuzzu

Reflection probes are used for pixels for which wasn't found any suitable planar reflection, especially on windy weather when planar reflections are terribly incorrect.

Water detects closest reflection probes to camera by default, but you may override that behaviour by setting this property to a transform of arbitrary probe.

If using Time of Day I've found that workflow useful:

1. Disable builtin Time of Day reflection probe.
    2. Create a Reflection Probe and set its size to 1000000 on each axis.
    3. In Time of Day prefab there is a "Clear" object. Put in on its own layer and disable rendering of this layer for your reflection probe.
    4. Edit your profiles to look good with Time of Day. By default there is too much contrast on the sky. You may either lower it in Time of Day settings or enable custom ambient smoothness in water profile and set it low. You may try one of my profiles: link. It's calibrated for our postprocess setup, but it may look fine anyway.

Make sure that Time of Day layer is enabled for rendering in your reflection probes and planar reflection. This should work fine.

39. elbows

elbows

I was just playing around with Time of Day stuff tonight, before reading your post. My approach was different and possibly worst in some respects. I will try your method tomorrow before deciding whether it is worth describing mine.

But I wanted to respond quickly now because in regards to the above post asking for help making the moon etc reflect off the ocean more, I think I had to untick the 'use skybox' option in your waters planar reflection script in order to get decent sun reflection from Time Of Day (haven't tried with moon yet, ran out of time).

zuzzu likes this.
  40. GXMark

GXMark

I ran RC4 on the Mac Pro this evening but there are underwater screen effect issues as shown in the image shot.

Another interesting thing is that the FPS is halve of the PC I run it on with an NVidia 650 card.
    PC 55-60 FPS Mac Pro 30 - 35 FPS

41. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thank you. I've got this reported by another Mac user too.

I will fix it this week.

42. GXMark

GXMark

On the mac when building out with high precision checked the waves remain flat. Uncheck high precision and it works. RC4

43. GXMark

GXMark

Windows Build for RC4 creates these errors

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Underwater/Base IME': Compiled shader code uses too many instruction slots (119). Max. allowed by the target (ps_2_0) is 96. at line 1 (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with _WAVES_GERSTNER

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Underwater/Base IME': Compiled shader code uses too many instruction slots (117). Max. allowed by the target (ps_2_0) is 96. at line 1 (on d3d11_9x)

Compiling Fragment program
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_NO_LINEAR_COLORSPACE

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Underwater/Base IME': Too many math instructions for SM2.0 (116 needed, max is 64). Try #pragma target 3.0 at Code.cginc(96) (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with _WAVES_GERSTNER

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Underwater/Base IME': Too many math instructions for SM2.0 (114 needed, max is 64). Try #pragma target 3.0 at Code.cginc(96) (on d3d11_9x)

Compiling Fragment program
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_NO_LINEAR_COLORSPACE

44. Plutoman

Plutoman

@GXMark I don't believe it works for mobile. You are targeting OpenGL 2.0 there.. that is extremely low-end.

45. GXMark

GXMark

I'm getting that error with a build settings of Windows x64.

I noticed when moving between Mac Build and Windows builds that the FFT shader compute sometimes goes wrong causing this issue. Its back working fine again.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  46. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks for detailed reports on RC4 issues. I will be working on fixing them from Thursday to Sunday.

There is one major issue with this release that forces me to stop sharing it for now. I've been adding new features to the shader with each release and apparently I've hit the wall on RC4. Editor may use up to 6 GB of memory because of this without clear reason to do so. As this is not detectable in profiler and it doesn't occur in builds, I'm pretty sure that it is Unity's shader compiler bug trying to keep track of all possible shader variations.

I have a general idea how to reimplement that part of Unity functionality and hopefully will do this by Sunday. This may take too much time for Unity to fix this as they have a lot bigger software to maintain and I want this fixed now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  47. GXMark

GXMark

Your doing an awesome job on an awesome product zuzzu.

hopeful likes this.
  48. Fenris2

Fenris2

I believe tomaszek Uber/RTP ran into this with Uber, and it was indeed Unity keeping all shader variants in memory. Eventually he worked around it. It may indeed save some time to reach out if he is willing to share any advice,.

zuzzu likes this.
  49. chasse

chasse

Great plugin, great buy. I am going to end up implementing this myself, but will height/depth maps ever be officially added to help distinguish shorelines and/or act as energy multipliers? And are there any plans for flow maps and/or forces directly affecting waves (i.e., wakes)?

Thanks for developing this!

50. GXMark

GXMark

Can playway water target Linux?