Search Unity

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. zuzzu

zuzzu

PlayWay Water System was deprecated and replaced by Ultimate Water System developed by Moonlit. An upgrade path exists without a need to pay a full price.

I'm also pushing new versions of the old asset like the one above through private channels. You can send me your Invoice No, if you have purchased this asset before and I will share the links to these new packages.

2. Dobalina

Dobalina

Hey guys, I'm still using Playway 1.1.7 (hesitant to pay the upgrade price) I'm having an issue with Playway + Fog.... hoping someone might have a suggestion.

Placing fog in my scene looks fine on the ocean horizon, but it blankets all my transparent objects and particle effects that are near the camera... To my understanding, fog gets rendered after transparency which explains this. So I'm kinda forced to set the fog to render before transparency. My transparent objects then look fine, but now the fog is rendering behind playway water.

Does this issue lie within the fog? (both unity fog and paid fog packages have this issue) or does the issue lie within playway?

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. creat327

creat327

is there a video where i can see shoreline waves? on the included videos i can't see any
    i was expecting something basic at least, like these guys

which is a $15 asset on unreal

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  4. olavrv

olavrv

After upgrading I get an error when enabling SMID, in SpecrumResolverCpu.cs(430,26): error CS0019: '*' cannot be applied to operands of type 'Mono.Simd.Vector4f' and 'float'

Zuzzu: Can you please help with this

PS: Have tried to copy Mono.Simd.dll to Plugins folder again...

5. zuzzu

zuzzu

I'm uploading a new package with a fix to this. It should be online in 30 minutes.

It's a general incompatibility of transparent objects with effects using depth buffer. The simplest way to fix this for that water is to choose Forward or Deferred water render mode on WaterCamera, but this works only for 2.0 branch.

olavrv likes this.
  6. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Wait, why is this assett still being updated? Didn't Ultimate Water System replace this?

7. KarelA

KarelA

He is continuing the support the product. Fixing bugs and updating other minor changes that may break with newer versions of Unity. He is not adding new features and wont invest huge amount of time on developing this further.

8. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Thank you for the clarification. I hope Ultimate Water System also gets updated the same?

9. Galahad

Galahad

It's a different team, they have their own schedule, albeit there still some collaboration between them and Playway dev, some code sharing et cetera.

10. luizleo

luizleo

I'm also having this problem, is there any solution?
    With me it happens in Windows itself...

11. smurfted

smurfted

Its a shame this has died as it was very good looking when it worked. UWS looks terrible in comparison...

12. creat327

creat327

Anyone knows how to fix this? using the default terrain trees, when they billboard, they get hidden behind. It's on forward rendering already. I've tried changing the renderqueue on the shader but nothing works. I only have this problem with this package (I've always been able to change the render queue and fix it, but not with this one). Any ideas?
    billboard.jpg

13. Protozoaire

Protozoaire

Can I have access to the latest beta of PlayWay Water?

Order no sent by email.

I'm using Unity 2017.3.0f3 and it's working only in the editor. I can't build it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _VOLUMETRIC_LIGHTING _WATER_REFRACTION _WAVES_FFT': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/PlayWay Water/Shaders/Water/UnityStandardShadow.cginc(122) (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _WAVES_FFT
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING
    7. Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS _VOLUMETRIC_LIGHTING _WATER_FOAM_WS _WATER_REFRACTION _WAVES_FFT': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/PlayWay Water/Shaders/Water/UnityStandardShadow.cginc(122) (on d3d11)
    9. Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _WAVES_FFT
    10. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING
    13. Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _VOLUMETRIC_LIGHTING _WATER_REFRACTION _WAVES_FFT': invalid subscript 'vec' at Assets/PlayWay Water/Shaders/Water/UnityStandardShadow.cginc(122) (on d3d11)
    15. Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_CUBE _WAVES_FFT
    16. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING
    19. Error building Player: 3 errors
    21. Build completed with a result of 'Failed'
    22. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    24. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 4 errors
    25.   at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x0020e] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:181
    26.   at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00065] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:88
    27. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Thank you

14. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

On clean install for latest beta. Got this set of errors related to Quads.BipolarXZ

I tried fixing it myself but couldn't find any reference of it online.

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Effects/UnderwaterIME.cs(278,38): error CS0117: `Quads' does not contain a definition for `BipolarXInversedY'

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Geometry/WaterQuadGeometry.cs(13,45): error CS0117: `Quads' does not contain a definition for `BipolarXZ'

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Geometry/WaterQuadGeometry.cs(13,31): error CS0826: The type of an implicitly typed array cannot be inferred from the initializer. Try specifying array type explicitly

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Geometry/WaterQuadGeometry.cs(36,25): error CS0117: `Quads' does not contain a definition for `BipolarXZ'

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Geometry/WaterQuadGeometry.cs(36,11): error CS0826: The type of an implicitly typed array cannot be inferred from the initializer. Try specifying array type explicitly

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spray.cs(467,32): error CS0117: `Quads' does not contain a definition for `BipolarXZ'

15. olavrv

olavrv

Zuzzu: can you please make playway work with postprocessing stack v2 temporal aa? Motionvectors? VR

16. zuzzu

zuzzu

PlayWay Water 2.0b17 changelog:
    • Water motion vectors now support stereo rendering (only Unity 2017.3+).
    • Fix: Motion vectors rendering is now automatically enabled for water objects when it's enabled on water camera (fixes problem reported by olavrv).
    • Fix: Warnings caused by motion vectors rendering.
    • Fix: Warnings in DX11 blur.
    • Fix: Fixes black horizontal lines sometimes caused by water deferred shader.
    • Fix: Base effects quality no longer applies to depth buffer replacement texture.
    • Fix: Water quality settings are no longer set dirty each time.

It's available to download through the same link as always.

It's probably not an error on my side. There must be a second Quads class somewhere in your project that isn't namespaced and causes these errors. There are 2 ways to fix this:
    • You can put that second class into its own namespace.
    • You can replace all "Quads" occurences in water files that report errors with this: "PlayWay.Water.Internal.Quads".

Send me a PM, in case you got no answer from the e-mail you used.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  17. Protozoaire

Protozoaire

Thank you zuzzu, latest version for Unity 2017.3.0f3 solved my problem :)

For those with issue in VR:
    - Use 2 separate cameras, one for each eye, to avoid weird waves reflections on the inside of the boad.
    - Stereo rendering method : Multi-pass

18. olavrv

olavrv

@zuzzu When we change the viewport rect size on camera, the ocean is not rendered. It would be great if you can make a fix for this case!

Thank you!

19. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

@zuzzu Sent you a PM. I'm announcing it in this thread since last time I never got a response.

20. diccon

diccon

Does anyone have any experience of running Playway water on Nintendo Switch? Can you comment on how it runs/looks? My project uses water extensively so I am wondering if I can target that platform with this asset.

21. zuzzu

zuzzu

Sure, I can make a fix. It's going to take around a month for the next version to be ready though.

22. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @zuzzu !!! how I can get the data of the position of the crests of the waves that form in the water ...??

In the crests of the waves we have spray of particles that came out in these crests.... How could I get that position data from the crests directly in a script?

A greetting

23. olavrv

olavrv

Hi @zuzzu, motion vectors are not working in Unity 2018.2.0b9 with Post Processing Stack v2 Temporal Antialiasing. Appriciate it if you can make a fix for this.

Thank you very much!

24. olavrv

olavrv

This seems to be a Unity bug, and have nothing to do with PlayWay :D Sorry about that...

25. Traditore

Traditore

I used to like this asset very much. Now my project needs to be used. Can I leave a contact? I'll buy it privately.

26. Vincent454

Vincent454

I'd love to see this re-released and would buy it instantly if the author fixes compatability with new versions, I dont need new features or anything - this is the best looking water asset for Unity!

27. sadicus

sadicus

I cry everyday since this and Ceto stopped working. lol

electric_jesus likes this.
  28. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

Really sad that this asset is gone :(

29. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

Has anyone had luck in creating surface particles with this? I just want to create bubbles on the surface as my boat moves through the water. No need for displacement!

30. digimbyte

digimbyte

but...
    Unfortunately, UWS - Ultimate Water System is no longer available.
    This package has been deprecated from the Asset Store.

NeatWolf likes this.
  31. jashan

jashan

The Unity Asset Store is kind of a sad affair. Those are not the only packages that were deprecated. Looks like publishing assets isn't really sustainable (I also have one on the store, and it's hardly worth it).

32. PeterB

PeterB

That's no fault of the Asset Store. It's due to publishers losing interest, or lacking knowledge on how to fulfil their promises. This was certainly the case with this asset: it never fully implemented its promised list of features, especially on the Mac.

You have to check the background of Asset Store vendors. One-person/single-product enterprises can rarely be relied upon.

33. wood333

wood333

It's also a question of good business sense. Programmers are not taught how to run a business. Making money on the asset store takes a sound business plan, competent coding skills, good business and technical decisions and perseverance. Successful asset developers have great code, don't bite off more features than they can provide, and set aside time for feedback and support. They price their product right for their customers and so they can still make enough money for their efforts to be worthwhile. While it sounds fairly simple, many asset developers prove unable to execute their grand plans. I purchased some of their stuff, and leaned the hard way, like others on this forum.

Water assets seem to be particularly difficult to code and sell, especially those with physical waves, (more than a water shader on a flat plane). I own three that have been deprecated.

I do own a version of Ultimate Water that works on Unity 5.6.6. If I start upgrading my project, parts of UWS are going to break. I have this same problem with other store assets, so my solution was to freeze my project at 5.6.6 where I own working versions for all the assets I plan to use. For me, Unity 5.6.6 is the sweet spot.

To avoid purchasing assets that are likely to be Deprecated, find out how long the assets has been offered on the store, read the reviews, and if you have the time, read all or part of their Unity forum. With appropriate time invested in researching interesting assets, you will learn how to separate the assets that are going to fizzle from those that are going to succeed. I have no shortcut to offer for this research. I have spent a boat load of time reading about assets, but in the end, I have found all the great ones needed for my project. And because I am patient, I have purchased many of them on sale. ;) Use the Unity wish list. You get a message when an asset on your list goes on sale.

Good luck to all with their assets and projects.

PeterB and Vincent454 like this.
  34. digimbyte

digimbyte

Did anyone have problems with isometric camera's not rendering water but only perspective camera's work?
    I have this issue with the latest UWS and was wondering if it exists in PlayWay

35. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

It is too bad that this water went the way of the Dodo. I think we got a HUGE steal of a deal considering all the work that went into it. Any water rendering asset is going to be a pain in the butt to support and implement for such a small amount of money spent on it. Glad I have a working copy for Unity 2017 :D.

jashan likes this.
  36. jashan

jashan

I still have it running in Unity 2018.3. I'm only using this as an Ocean shader, so I don't know if underwater and some of the other fancy things are also still working. But for what I need, it still works really well.

Btw, just yesterday I checked how many Assets that I have were deprecated - and it's roughly 33%: 224 of 673 packages were deprecated. And quite a few of the assets that were deprecated did look really promising, with very active and responsive developers. Quite a few of the larger companies that provided assets via the Unity Asset Store pulled off the Asset Store and now sell their products separately, so it's not exactly just small single-developers that don't plan properly.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  37. iddqd

iddqd

Lux is a great alternative. Easy to use and looks great. The Water works in VR Single Pass - underwater Effects don't but I just use my own Underwater Effects that work with Single Pass (currently just Blur) and detect when the Headset goes underwater with a custom Script.

38. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

CETO is now open source so that might be a possible option also.

https://github.com/Scrawk/Ceto

recon0303, Harekelas and NeatWolf like this.
  39. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I believe that if it only got deprecated everyone who purchased it can still download a copy of it from the Asset Store tab in Unity. If it got removed tho, which is different, well, I'd really appreciate if the author or you could send a copy (I can provide a valid invoice)

I'm trying to not to think about it, since I purchased at least 10% of what's in the Asset Store, lol.
    I could have probably bought a little car with the money I spent with assets that got deprecated. Very promising ones, that got replaced by builtin or native Unity functionalities, in the better case :(
    As long as they're Textures or 3D models, it's all fine tho, I guess they're the safest to get :p

I believe Unity should really enforce publishers not to deprecate their assets for at least 1 year or 1 year from the last purchase, whichever comes last. The store is getting more and more fragmented, and I believe no one want it to become Steam-like.

(random rant but felt to say it, sorry for the OT - hippocoder, feel free to remove my post, the thread got a bit on the conversational side and I felt to share my 2 cents ^^)

40. SSL7

SSL7

Asset Creators pushing Unity for a yearly subscription, but Unity doesn't allow it, so their workaround is to release separate assets, like CTS and CTS 2019, Vegetation Studio and Vegetation Studio Pro. Which is fine for me because some of these tools are essential and I prefer to pay a yearly subscription or so, than lose them and left empty-handed with a deprecated asset.

recon0303 likes this.
  41. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

Financially the assets that are developed on for the asset store are a long shot. You aren't gonna make millions off these assets unless you strike just at the right time and have the right market. My asset has been doing okay, but for the amount of work I put into it, it isn't worth the time.

I think a water shader is just TOO complicated and not worth the time and experience of those who make it. Which is really unfortunate because water shaders are KEY for a lot of games and nVidia has a great one for UE4.

And it is also the problem of the asset store. No one is going to spend $2k on a water asset, but a creator can't live off of $100 copy for an eternal license.

@zuzzu tried to do the best for customers of Playway Water and sold or gave the asset to another company to make the UWS. Which then got depreciated. I don't blame him at all, he did an INSANE amount of good work.

Has anyone tried to get this working in Unity 2018.3 btw??

42. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

@jashan Are you running this for VR or just regular in 2018.3? I tried to run the shader in a later version of 2017 and it crapped out completely. Did you have to do anything fancy to get it working?

43. jashan

jashan

I'm using it in VR, and just the Ocean waves (no underwater effects or anything like that). I did update to one of the 2.0 betas that zuzzu shared with customers but that last update is also a while back.

44. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

@jashan I found a new water simulator and it is pretty awesome. It's called Crest and it is free. There is also a Discord where the author is awesome and super responsive. https://github.com/huwb/crest-oceanrender. To get proper wave look, you have to do a bit more customizing (can't just set the windspeed and you are good to go), but after playing around with it for a bit it's pretty easy to get whatever look you want. Only thing it doesn't have right now is great water weighting which I am going to write and contribute.

Also runs FAST on VR on 2018.3 Unity. Getting about a 1ms render time for the endless ocean. No reflections though, but it still looks awesome. There is a Discord you can join here https://discord.gg/g7GpjDC.

Lohrion and jashan like this.
  45. jashan

jashan

Thank you, that does look pretty cool. I'll give it a try!

46. Hexer_

Hexer_

Hi!
    How can I upgrade to the latest version?
    Do I have to send my order ID to someone?

EDIT: Found the way!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  47. am_salperton

am_salperton

So both this and the Ultimate Water System got deprecated. What gives?

If you can't sustain your asset, make it open source.

Uthgaard likes this.
  48. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

I agree, but Crest is open source, free and about 90% of what this did. And WAY faster.

49. crazBullet

crazBullet

CREST is not using FFT waves and waves look very fake, so there is no relation at all between the two unfortunately.

CETO is a much better option for realistic looks, though not a Unity asset

50. creat327

creat327

Crest water looks like plastic. This asset here was awesome. Unfortunately it's gone.