Search Unity

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. wood333

wood333

If you are looking for a way to not see water in the bottom of a row boat, for example, maybe all you need is to use the unity DepthMask. I have the old link, but I have had trouble connecting with unity all day.

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/DepthMask

2. KarloE

KarloE

Nah, I would like to basically have an underwater window, sort of. But:

This is what I see when underwater.

And then this is what I see when I look "through the window", or when Im in substract volume looking out:

Obviously I need to do some work on my end to make this look better, I thought it has already been done in this asset though. :) Also it would be cool if there was water surface on the bottom part (so its like an air pocket).

3. Lohrion

Lohrion

At least you got that one to work! I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to work...

4. spiderspy

spiderspy

Any tips on adjusting the physics scripts after you change the scale and physics of things? In our game we had increased the scale to 20 times the real one. This means gravity is 20x, so we get some wacky results trying to use the water physics out of the box since it doesnt scale very well.

5. KarloE

KarloE

Actually, gravity is again the same, only mass is different. :D What happens?

Also, mass wouldnt change if you scale 20 times because you need to change the actual mass in the rigidbody. Size doesnt influence mass afaik.

6. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

Hey guys! Does PW Beta work with Unity 2017?

7. Johnny-Casual

Johnny-Casual

Im interested in this water solution, but im afraid that the product is not going to work with the newest iterations of Unity, or it is abandoned.

ftejada likes this.
  8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Clouds don't properly block the sun, still reflects on the water. Weather Maker has same issue although I am trying to figure out how to disable the sun in their shaders, but so far no luck as they are quite complicated.

9. Efril

Efril

Can anyone advice how to make materials with Queue = Transparent visible from underwater? I'm using 'Gui/Text Shader' and modified 'Standard' shader to achieve XRay effect no mater which parts of the ship underwater so ship is completely visible. But underwater parts of the ship completely transparent when camera is in underwater mode. Transparency.png

10. Johnny-Casual

Johnny-Casual

Hi,

Im unable to buy the asset from the store. Did someone else have that issue ?

11. pat_trick

pat_trick

According to the author, the Beta should work with 2017.1.

electric_jesus likes this.
  12. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

@zuzzu I feel that some transparency is long overdue. It's been months since you first told us that you'd be selling or transferring this asset on to another developer, and we're still hanging here without any concrete details. As one of your customers, I feel like I'm trapped in limbo - the asset doesn't really work for me (on a Mac running Unity 5.6.x), and I've been stuck in a holding pattern for months waiting for someone who is able and interested to come in and put in the time that's needed to get the next version released. Please share some details!

electric_jesus and Lohrion like this.
  13. syscrusher

syscrusher

Has anyone had success with this asset in 2017.2 beta? I obtained the beta file as of today, and get lots of errors. I'm starting a new project this week and would really like to be able to go to 2017.2 because of its support for Substance 6 APIs.

14. Exbleative

Exbleative

How did you get access to the beta? I've messaged @zuzzu a couple of times over the last few weeks and got no reply.

15. Efril

Efril

I emailed contact@playway.com and received link pretty soon. You have to attach invoice to your request message.

syscrusher likes this.
  16. spiderspy

spiderspy

I have this issue but I already had Ambient Occlusion enabled :( anyone solved this? Maybe I can have a static and dynamic light this time....

17. syscrusher

syscrusher

Same here, but my contact to the developer was a couple of months ago. I hadn't had a chance to work with it until this week due to recent travel.

18. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

I think this asset is dead in the water, no pun intended. Shame since it seemed so promising at one time. Why cannot anyone in Unity come up with a decent water system? Come on, this asset- https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/beach-wave-water
    is for $15 and it is better than anything currently on Unity. WTF?
    If I knew how to do it (which I don't) I would make a water asset like this one in the link myself and blow what little competition there is out of the water on the Unity Asset store. At least make something as good as Cryengine/Lumberyard water for Unity, someone.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    LostPanda and ftejada like this.
  19. wood333

wood333

HEY - WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THIS ASSET?

( sound of crickets )

20. Reiner

Reiner

21. Lohrion

Lohrion

Same here - ripped off and deceived, to use these words. I've paid for PWS just recently, with the promise of @zuzzu in mind that this asset would be continued - a new asset or upgrade costs were never mentioned. The official statement from the new publisher is that they are currently working with @zuzzu and Unity to provide an upgrade option. The new price tag (double that of PWS) is quite steep though, and I'd reckon we are expected to pay the difference in price from PWS to the new asset. I'm not happy with this situation.

22. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I feel trapped and deceived as well. I bought Playway 6 months ago, and have yet to get it working with my virtual world projects (best I've gotten has been running in the Unity editor, but a sea of hot pink textures in the VW app on any platform). For the first few months I was led to believe that an update was coming, and for the last few months that the project was moving on to another developer that would finish the release and carry things forward.

I've got an expensive asset that I've poured countless hours into and never gotten to actually use in a project, and now it looks like the new owner's solution is something that costs nearly double. Even if money was no object (I'm more struggling artist than game studio with a budget), I'm troubled that the neither @zuzzu nor @Moonlit-Games-Studio popped in to announce the deal and even more troubled that the new developer doesn't allow private messages on their account. I've never encountered an asset developer that does that, it does not bode well for good customer support.

ftejada likes this.
  23. ForgedChaos

ForgedChaos

Where can we see this statement that they are going to offer an upgrade option?

24. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

25. Lohrion

Lohrion

26. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as many others here, but I'd like to urge everyone to take a deep breath and give the UWS developer time to respond. There was mention of some kind of an upgrade deal for PW customers like us. We don't yet know how favorable that deal will be, so I suggest we wait until details are forthcoming. It could be a very good deal, or it could be a very minimal token discount.

I don't speak for the developer of either asset, but I suspect the UWS developer has been caught flat-footed with respect to the level of irritation from PW customers. Let's give them a reasonable time to respond to those concerns, rather than assuming the response will be unfavorable to us. Perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised -- there's always hope. :)

Aubrey-Falconer likes this.
  27. Ultimate_Games_SA

Ultimate_Games_SA

Dear All,

we - PlayWay S.A. confirm that PlayWay Water System will appear very soon on Ultimate Games profile,
    and there will be an option to make an upgrade from PWS to Ultimate Water System.

Best,
    PlayWay S.A.

sadicus likes this.
  28. zuzzu

zuzzu

Dear community,

Like I declared some time ago, there is now a completely new developer, Moonlit Games Studio, that will continue to add new features to this system to ensure that its feature set will continue to be relevant and satisfying to Unity users. Their updated system is now being released as a separate asset called Ultimate Water System. There is going to be a large discount for existing PlayWay Water System customers that will compensate a big part of the upgrade cost.

All existing Playway Water System customers can still count on technical support by e-mail and I'm going to continue to distribute minor updates through private channels. These updates will be released once per few months and won't noticeably expand its feature set, but instead will focus on maintaining compatibility with new Unity versions and minor bug fixes. Latest beta version (2.0b10) is already compatible with all latest Unity versions - if you don't have it, be sure to drop your Invoice No on my e-mail as it's a big step forward in many areas.

All future updates are also going to be incorporated by Moonlit into their larger and actively developed Ultimate Water System as it's meant to replace PlayWay Water System.

Please give these guys a chance to prove their good intentions, they invested hundreds of hours of developer time into their version. Their asset, despite new features also improves many areas of the core code. From what I've seen, it has better startup times, performance improvements and generally works better.

Kind regards,
    zuzzu

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  29. gibmation

gibmation

Hi @zuzzu, what kind of a discount are we looking at?

This new asset is listed at $175.

30. zuzzu

zuzzu

You will want to contact Moonlit representative about this.

31. elbows

elbows

They have posted the upgrade price on the UWS thread, its only going to be $50 for PlayWay Water owners. This makes me a happy customer, cheers for all your efforts zuzzu!

SquadraCorse, Fraconte and zuzzu like this.
  32. Big-Bang-Studio

Big-Bang-Studio

We purchased the water asset a few weeks ago to implement in one of our projects using Unity3d.
    The problem we keep running into is the fact that the water shaders seem to create a black surface on top of the ocean.

We have included all the shaders in the list of included shaders, but nothing seems to be resolving our issue. We would love to hear from you if this behaviour is normal or if we forgot a silly switch somewhere :)

33. zuzzu

zuzzu

Could you post a screenshot presenting that issue?

34. cbirchem0724

cbirchem0724

Cant get this water to work on 5.5 anyone have any ideas? I had it working fine on unity 2017

35. zuzzu

zuzzu

Asset Store version should work fine on all older Unity versions, but beta may be limited to 5.6+.

What issues are you experiencing?

Edit: If you have opened Unity 2017 project in Unity 5.5 then it's not supported. Unity API Updater cannot go backwards. You will have to copy original asset files to make it working again.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  36. Ultimate_Games_SA

Ultimate_Games_SA

Dear All,

short explanation:
    PlayWay S.A. and Ultimate Games S.A. are in one group, they are sister-companies.
    Because of some Unity Asset Store rules, we need to transfer UWS to PlayWay S.A. account.
    PlayWay S.A. account will change the name on Ultimate Games S.A. (already did).

Then PlayWay Water and UWS will be on one, the same account.
    Then all owners of PW Water will be able to make an upgrade to UWS in discounted price.

Sorry for this confusing situation, hope now all is clear.

Best,
    PlayWay S.A. / Ultimate Games S.A.

SquadraCorse likes this.
  37. cbirchem0724

cbirchem0724

Thank you for the input, I will try to delete the assets and then re-download from the store.

38. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Which email is this? I tried emailing the contact@playway but received no response. The OneDrive link I received via PMs awhile back doesn't seem to be updated(I can't really tell since the filename doesn't include the version).

39. sadicus

sadicus

Which version of PlayWay actually works with Unity 5.6.3p1?

40. zuzzu

zuzzu

PlayWay Water 2.0b11 changelog:

• Fix: planar reflections were causing "disco effect" on water on AMD graphic cards.
    • Water.GetHeightAt and other data sampling methods now compensate horizontal displacements by default, just like WaterSample class. If you would like to have the old behaviour back, use Water.GetHeightAtUncompensated etc.

I also added experimental NeuralNetworkPhysics component. It seems to be the fastest and most precise physics class in my asset, but probably needs some further testing.

It may be used with any number of colliders on a rigid body. Performance doesn't depend on their count and complexity (vertex count etc.) as neural network trains their shape to a fixed number of neurons to compute the necessary data for physics.

This component is supposed to be used with a small voxel count like 1 to 5. I'm personally using 3 or 5 voxels on the Z axis for ships in my projects and network seems to guess the shape of water pretty well.

Note: I will continue to push small updates like this and fix bugs, but like I declared earlier, I'm generally retiring from the Asset Store. Please prefer contacting me by e-mail in the future.

You can find my e-mail on a fourth page of documentation. E-mailing PlayWay works fine most of the time too, but occasionally some e-mails get lost.

Both the latest Asset Store version and the latest beta should work fine with that Unity version. Just be sure to re-import "Shaders" folder after the update process.

If you encounter some version-specific issues, send me an e-mail with error log or screenshots.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    ftejada likes this.
  41. MINJU-KANG

MINJU-KANG

i used PlayWay Water 2.0b11 ..just now

this error message...

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/NeuralNetworks/NeuralNetwork.cs(196,30): error CS1061: Type `PlayWay.Water.Extensions.NeuralNetwork.NeuralLayer' does not contain a definition for `weights' and no extension method `weights' of type `PlayWay.Water.Extensions.NeuralNetwork.NeuralLayer' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

help me..

unity version 2017.1.1f1

42. zuzzu

zuzzu

I will upload a fixed package in a second, sorry about that ;)

Edit: Fixed package is now online.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  43. Dragst

Dragst

Zuzzu, I can't find your email address anywhere so I have no other choice than to try gambling contact@playway.com. Have I missed something?

I don't think PWWS is working in Unity 5.6.3p4 at all as there's a lot of shader problems.

Attached Files:

• pwws.png
      pwws.png
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
  44. zuzzu

zuzzu

I've got these errors reported today and I'm working on a fix.

I recommend you to move to the beta anyway. It's a production ready version - just not properly documented.

My personal e-mail is on a 4th page of the documentation: link.

45. Dragst

Dragst

Ok, thanks. Mailing you for beta right now.

46. Big-Bang-Studio

Big-Bang-Studio

Hey Zuzzu,

The problem we have currently with the system has the following error code popping up in our consoles.
    Both reloading the asset from the asset store and trying to fix the problem hasnt worked for us.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Texture has out of range width / height
    2. UnityEngine.Texture2D:.ctor(Int32, Int32, TextureFormat, Boolean, Boolean)
    3. PlayWay.Water.GpuFFT:CreateButterflyTexture() (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:100)
    4. PlayWay.Water.GpuFFT:CreateTextures() (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:57)
    5. PlayWay.Water.GpuFFT:.ctor(Int32, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:30)
    6. PlayWay.Water.Dx11FFT:.ctor(ComputeShader, Int32, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/Dx11FFT.cs:13)
    7. PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT:ChooseBestFFTAlgorithm(Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:333)
    8. PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT:ValidateFFT(GpuFFT&, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:316)
    9. PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT:ValidateResources() (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:172)
    10. PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT:Enable(WindWaves) (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:85)
    11. PlayWay.Water.WindWaves:ResolveFinalSettings(WaterQualityLevel) (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:399)
    12. PlayWay.Water.WindWaves:Awake() (at Assets/Plugins/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:103)
    Running unity 5.6+ and havent made changes to the project. Was working previously but now just wont show any texturing due to the errors.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  47. PeterB

PeterB

This is a total ripoff. I'm not paying another $50 to MAYBE get features I was promised years ago and which never turned up.

I want a refund.

48. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Thanks for the follow-up! Actually very excited to use the new water splash features.

When / how do we upgrade? I'll throw another $50 onto this wild ride.

49. zuzzu

zuzzu

My honest will of expanding this asset cannot be exploited indefinitely and I have the right to gradually stop my work. I don't understand what features you may have in mind as I completed most of them with some small exceptions compared to the massive amount of work done. Just from the back of my head, new features of 2.0 that you received for free with no additional charge, are:
    • 2-4x better performance.
    • VR and single pass stereo rendering support - afaik that's the only water asset that has this.
    • Caustics.
    • Bow and stern waves (preview).
    • Deferred water rendering that lets you use any number of lights with it.
    • Custom rendering to water maps.
    • Swell (distant storm waves).
    • Calming waves near the land and shoreline foam.
    • Screen space reflections, ambient occlusion and atmospheric image effects support.
    • Looped water maps caching.
    • Depth-dependent underwater absorption color.
    • Overriding profile values by runtime scripts.
    • Full code refactor.
    That completely omits features that appeared back in 1.0 and constant bug fixing for maturing Unity 5. I haven't completed documentation and samples for 2.0, but still I did a lot of good work here.

I can't say that this asset wouldn't use even more useful features and that's why I do my best to support Moonlit with their new incarnation of this asset. Continuing their work on an asset with the upgrade price is the only viable option as you can't expect them to work for free.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  50. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

Hi zuzzu, that is all well and beautiful and please do not misunderstand - I respect your work, but it is no use if there is no guidance/support how to use it - please, think about it ;)

ftejada likes this.