Search Unity

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. RKTeam

RKTeam

Hi!
    Is it any support fot Unity 5.6.f1 ?
    I have "missing splat texture" error when import project, and some errors in shaders.

All water in sample scene is pink :)

Thanks!

2. Fraconte

Fraconte

I think it's a bug of the Temporal Antialiasing. It seems it only happens in Editor but never in the build.
    When it happens in editor, disabling and reenabling the Camera usually solves the problem (until the next run).

3. SciePro

SciePro

Thanks Fraconte, unfortunately it also happens in the build. PantropyClient 2017-05-20 20-36-27-18.jpg

4. Fraconte

Fraconte

It's a different problem indeed, because with the Temporal AA the screen goes all black in few seconds.
    Anyway I am still using 5.6.0f3. I'm going to install the new one.

5. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Using Unity 5.6, latest beta playway, and latest scionic, I find that the ocean is partially flipped vertically when DOF/depth-of-field is active in scionic. This appears to happen in the built-in samples as well.

For now, disabling DOF allows Scion and Playway to play nice, but looks like there is some conflict perhaps with the Unity 5.6 rendering architecture.

6. Galahad

Galahad

Good morning,

Given a Matrix of phi provided by an external ocean physics calculator, how could I use this matrix instead of the random generated dynamics of Playway?

7. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

I had this problem. My solution was to turn off the Bloom from Standard Assets and use another 3rd party bloom effect.

8. PeterB

PeterB

Does anyone have the beta link?

9. Galahad

Galahad

Also I'm having problems with the fog system on my project. Playway water is not affected by it. I tried changing the water material rendering queue and only manage to make water disappear after going below 2501 value.

Please help =[

unitarians likes this.
  10. syscrusher

syscrusher

Hello, Playway Water community. I just acquired this asset recently and have only had a little time to start learning it so far. I've read the posts above and I can see that it's not without flaws, but so far I'm very impressed. One requirement of my project is a smooth and realistic transition of the camera between submerged and non-submerged states. There are a lot of tools that can do either of those, but the transition is hard to do well.

After messing around with a test camera and its settings in a sandbox project, all I can say is "wow." I'm sure PWW has a few bugs, like most other software, but you absolutely nailed it with respect to the water surface transition. I'm going to continue learning PWW in a sandbox before integrating it into a real project, but I'm really happy with the way it looks and works so far.

EDIT: Here's a screen shot, in the editor (so not very good resolution, alas) of a quick test:

Capture.PNG

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    angrypenguin likes this.
  11. Wolfkingdom

Wolfkingdom

12. iddqd

iddqd

nice! i thought playway already had shoreline in the beta?

13. ftejada

ftejada

Hi
    The truth is that I think it is unfortunate what is happening with this asset ...

I'm still waiting for @zuzzu to give me an answer to the problem of reflections when the camera has HDR enabled. I sent the project a long time ago and still did not respond. And in the Beta follows the same problem.

I have asked a lot of questions on many occasions and I have not been answered

And to my disappointment, zuzzu leaves the asset. I bought it recently (I think about two or three months ago) and the truth is that I would like a refund of the money I paid because I think it is an unfinished product with a lot of problems and that it does not have good support on the part of the creator.

regards

unitarians and gibmation like this.
  14. SSL7

SSL7

zuzzu left the asset? i think he prepares 2.0 release, am I missing something?

15. gibmation

gibmation

This seems to be a common problem withing the Unity asset store, a lot of assets seem to be released as unfinished products.

I have to agree with @ftejada, our project's deadline has had to be push back twice and I don't think we will even make the next one.

Its a real pity as this is a superb asset.

jc_lvngstn, unitarians and ftejada like this.
  16. iddqd

iddqd

17. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

I red zuzzus post now, missed it before. I would like to know:

Will playway be supported in the future, for future updates of unity?
    Will there be a 2.0 stable release? If so, when?

Please say yes :)

unitarians likes this.
  18. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

When Ceto was discontinued I was about to jump onto playway water, like a lot did. However as I wasn't actually in need of an ocean shader at that time I didn't. Lucky me. Seems like all good ocean shaders get abondonned over time, pitty to see this evolution on paid assets though.

19. SanityIsOverrated

SanityIsOverrated

Hello zuzzu,

I just read about the transition of the asset. Thanks a lot for developing it in the first place. Playway Water is central to our game project and we have been able to achieve amazing results with it! At the moment we stay at Unity 5.5 and its working well.

We have just launched the game on Steam Greenlight:

We hope for continued support in the future as we progress.

20. sadicus

sadicus

@SanityIsOverrated looks great! Also The logo is really cool, nice design.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  21. SanityIsOverrated

SanityIsOverrated

Thanks a lot! We're a two man team, the logo was done by my collegue. I'm the code breaker. ;)

I can share two improvements I edited into the underwater shaders. I don't know whether these are already in the 2.0 Beta, we worked only with the release version. Maybe someone here also has a use for them:
    First, we modified the water surface highlight (=where light is supposed to hit the water surface) to be something other than white (e.g, colored, even HDR for extreme overblow)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Underwater - Base IME.cginc
    3. //  add to the variable declarations
    4. float3 _LightColor;
    6. // replace the ime function with
    7. half4 ime (VertexOutput vo) : SV_Target
    8.     {
    9.         fixed mask = tex2D(_UnderwaterMask, vo.uv1);
    10.         half4 color = tex2D(_MainTex, vo.uv);
    11.         half4 screenPos = half4(vo.uv1 * 2 - 1, 0, 1);
    13.         half4 pixelWorldSpacePos = mul(UNITY_MATRIX_VP_INVERSE, screenPos);
    14.         pixelWorldSpacePos.xyz /= pixelWorldSpacePos.w;
    16.         half3 ray = pixelWorldSpacePos - _WorldSpaceCameraPos;
    17.         ray.xyz = normalize(ray.xyz) * half3(3, -3, 3);
    19.         float depth = tex2D(_CameraDepthTexture, vo.uv1);
    20.         depth = LinearEyeDepth(depth);
    22.         half3 depthColor = ComputeDepthColor(pixelWorldSpacePos, ray.xyz, half3(0, 1, 0), _LightColor, depth);
    24.         return half4(lerp(color.rgb, depthColor, mask * (1.0 - exp(-_AbsorptionColor * depth))), 1);
    25.     }
    27. // UnderwaterIME.cs
    29. // add to the public fields
    30. [ColorUsage(false, true, 0f, 3f, 0f, 3f)]
    31. public Color lightColor = Color.white;
    33. // UnderwaterIMEEditor.cs
    35. // add to the end of if(BeginGroup("Advanced", advancedFoldout))
    36. PropertyField("lightColor");
    Secondly, the underwater vision wobble produced a ugly repetition of edge pixels.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Underwater - Base IME.cginc
    3. // replace ime2 function with
    5. half4 ime2 (VertexOutput vo) : SV_Target
    6.     {
    7.         fixed mask = tex2D(_UnderwaterMask, vo.uv1);
    9.         float edgeFactor = clamp(0, 1, vo.uv.x / 0.1) * clamp(0, 1, vo.uv.y / 0.1) * clamp(0, 1, (1 - vo.uv.x) / 0.1) * clamp(0, 1, (1 - vo.uv.y) / 0.1);
    10.         half2 distortion = (tex2D(_DistortionTex, vo.uv).xy - 0.5)*edgeFactor;
    11.         vo.uv += distortion * mask * _DistortionIntensity;
    13.         return tex2D(_MainTex, vo.uv);
    14.     }
    The clamp(0, 1, vo.uv.x / 0.1) parts make the distortion grow from strength 0 to 1 within 10%=0.1 of the screen edge.

Best,
    SanityIsOverrated

syscrusher, ftejada, iddqd and 2 others like this.
  22. sadicus

sadicus

@SanityIsOverrated Nice! I hope PlayWay continues development.

23. sadicus

sadicus

Is there a solution yet for shorelines? I think ceto had a way of using a heightmap that you edit in Photoshop. Not sure if that can be done In PW.

24. gibmation

gibmation

I cant seem to place the bow emitter properly.

It looks fine from front or behind but when you move camera to the side the waves seems to start some distance away from the boat.

I have read previous post on this but although I can move the emitter to different locations it will always look displaced when seen from the side.

Is there a component that should be added to the camera?

Has anyone had same problem?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

25. reelie

reelie

Wait, are those bow emitter available in the version currently on the asset store? Or is it a beta feature? I'm trying to figure out how to do this since a few days.

Many thanks!
    -Reelie

26. Fraconte

Fraconte

@reelie Yes, it's in the beta.
    @gibmation Have you checked that the water height is exactly at 0 position?

gibmation likes this.
  27. reelie

reelie

Oh! And then, lastly, Is there any way to access the Beta or since Zuzzu dropped the project, it is unavailable? Well, I think I should talk to him in fact! xD

Thanks for the info! :)
    -Reelie

28. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

@zuzzu so where is this mythical new developer at?

ftejada likes this.
  29. wood333

wood333

Grammar Nazi Information Post.

Don't end your sentence with a preposition.
    All you need to say is: "So, where is this mythical new developer?"

30. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

31. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

I sent him a request for the beta link with my invoice number over a month ago, and he didn't reply. I guess we can't have the beta anymore.

32. wood333

wood333

Yes there are exceptions to the rule that are common in our language, so let me narrow my comment by suggesting that it is not strong speech or writing to end a sentence with an unnecessary "at." I didn't mean to offend you, and if I did, let me make amends by wishing you good fortune with your project, and hoping as you do, that we get a good successor developer for this good looking water asset. ;)

33. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I don't care, I was just pointing out the archaic rule usage. How about we all just focus on the fact that we STILL haven't seen any progress on an asset that a lot of us paid a bunch of money for.

ftejada and wood333 like this.
  34. wood333

wood333

@zuzzu said in his May 5th post that if you have an important question to email him. Why not send him an email, since he isn't active on this forum.

He also said on May 5th the transfer would be made in one month, and it has been about a month now.

Good luck.

35. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Here is the response from the dev.
    What is this, cloak and dagger? "Reveal themselves"? What the hell is that about?

36. IronDuke

IronDuke

A preposition is a perfectly fine thing to end a sentence with! :D

Oh, and yeah, I'd love to know what's going on with the asset as well. It's very purty and I don't want people to no longer have access to it, since it means I'd have to poke around for yet another one.

--IronDuke

37. wood333

wood333

NO! DON'T DO IT. DOOOOOOOMED!

I don't understand why the new studio will not reveal itself. The worst thing that could happen is we might bombard them with questions. They could at least provide us with a written release on their initial plans. Communication is a good business practice.

38. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hi,
    a bit funny is, that i wrote an e-mail to playway support about 3 weeks ago, that i want a refund because of the vage ownership transfer post and not answering my beta request for over one week. they responded within one hour that they have sent the refund request to unity already. I have got my money back within 10 days.
    Seems to me they don´t want to support it anymore!
    Bad thing is that there is in my opinion no matching water asset out there. Tried Suimono in the meanwhile but the wave pattern is much to clean and recognizable.
    I took a look at the codebase of both assets in the last days. Suimono is much cleaner code much better documented but i think playway is the better option to do some further development because it has a much better math. Well harder to find out how things work because of codebase and docu.

Hope they will send me the beta version when i rebuy it.

jayty90 likes this.
  39. jayty90

jayty90

How did you contact them about the refund? They haven't been online on here in a few weeks now and they've not responded to my messages. It really is a shame because there just aren't any better solutions out there. I do have the latest beta and it doesn't even work when imported into a new project. The non beta version has issues on our mac builds so it's just completely unusable.

40. ftejada

ftejada

Hello everyone!!

I find it very regrettable what is happening with this asset and its support from those responsible.
    I asked by private message to PlayWay the refund of the money since I bought it recently. But I have not been answered and I sent it more than a week ago.

Reading the @Funkeys message I see him if he has been reimbursed. But my English is a bad thing and I do not quite understand how it has been done. What did you write to Unity directly? Sorry for my clumsiness Can someone clarify it?

On the other hand, I have two problems that I do not know why:

I'm using the latest beta version of PlayWay but I can not get the "Water Spray" to work.

I changed all the parameters of the water profile. I have added the component "Spray", I have tried to put the same values that come in the profile "Violent Storm" and try to configure everything the same .... etc. Even putting the profile of Viloent Storm in my scene does not work the "Water Spray"

But nothing works. The Water Spray does not work when breaking the waves ....
    What am I doing wrong?

I'm using Unity 5.6.0f3, but I do not think it's because of this because in the PlayWay demo scene the Spray Foam works correctly.

The second problem is that I have day / night cycle. And when it dawns, water suddenly appears instead of gently illuminating with global illumination.

I tested it with two different day / night cycle assets (so I assume that it is not a problem of these assets) and besides that I have also tried manually changing the rotation in X of the directional light without being managed by any day / night.
    I tested it with reflection probe and without it, etc ... but I can not get the water to glow softly when everything is dark.

I leave the video where I show. In the video shows that the first time I give the play, it seems to work correctly. But when I repeat the process, the problem begins to occur every time

Does anyone know how to solve these problems or see if I am doing something wrong?

Greetings and thanks in advance

41. zuzzu

zuzzu

Transition to a new owner may still take some time. It's a very capable developer though and I'm sure that everything will work out for everyone in the end.

All I can do is to ask you for the patience. Temporarily this asset is still my responsibility, but I don't have necessary energy and time to properly support it anymore.

That doesn't mean that I won't do my best to help in case of any issues with it. Please ensure that your issues are reproducible and are related to the asset. Prefer contacting me directly through my e-mail that you may find in the documentation.

I have made some further progress with the beta version and I'm going to upload an update soon.

I've written more than that ;)

42. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @zuzzu!!
    Where in the documentation is your @zuzzu email? Because I have looked at the manual and I do not see it. Because as the PlayWay email, I wrote days ago or even more than a week and no one has answered me

And since you have entered the forum and "Supposedly you have read the messages", please try to give us solution to those who have raised problems.
    At least answer us with something ... I do not think that's asking too much.

You ask patiently but every time, I personally, I asked something you ignored me except twice.
    And because of the messages that I read in the forum of other people who have written to you and have not yet received an answer, I think that too much patience we are having.

You asked me a long time ago to send you the scene with the problem that I exposed in this forum of the HDR in the camera and the problems in the reflections.
    After all this time he still has not answered me, nor to tell me that he is trying to solve it.

I am sorry to be so hard on you because you may be going through personal problems. I hope that this is not so for his sake !!!, but I think we deserve at least to answer us

Regards

43. wood333

wood333

I am using unity 5.5 and Unistorm. When the sun goes down the Play Way water goes completely black. To avoid this problem I added one directional light that I keep at a very small intensity. That keeps the water from going completely black at night before the moon rises. Before I added the light, my water went completely black when the sun set, then suddenly appeared when the moon would rise. Now, the water is visible all the time.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

ftejada likes this.
  44. zuzzu

zuzzu

You are crossing the line like this from the first day. If you want my help then consider a less demanding tone of your messages.

I indeed haven't looked at your reproduction project and consider that my fault. I've received a few more reproduction projects at that time and haven't made it to check all of them. If you are still willing to cooperate then I can take a look at it this weekend.

PS My e-mail is on the page 4.

45. iddqd

iddqd

Hey @zuzzu

Many thanks for the updated information - it's sad that you will no longer be developing the water, but i wish you all the best for the future!

Fraconte and jayty90 like this.
  46. zuzzu

zuzzu

I will probably still be involved into the further improvements of the core code, but thank you, I'm very glad to hear that! :)

iddqd likes this.
  47. Funkeys

Funkeys

hello @zuzzu,
    any chance to get a dl link for the beta, when i send you my new invoice?

48. Funkeys

Funkeys

i used the help@playway.com e-mail

49. zuzzu

zuzzu

Sure thing ;) Haven't I granted you a refund some time ago?

50. Funkeys

Funkeys

yes you did!
    But when you read my post from last night, you know why i am back. I think you know it anyway ;).
    And i still have the issue that you are selling the sc which is not documented at all. It is really hard to do adaptations or even use functions. Ends up in trail and error.