Search Unity

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. panFX

panFX

:) had the same feeling...

2. zuzzu

zuzzu

I'm very sorry for being away so much lately. There is some very tough personal events going on in my life right now.

I hope to be back during upcoming week for further development and support. I realistically plan the next beta version to be released between 13-19 march. I will look into the foam issue for sure.

Regarding 2.0 stable release, it will happen as soon as I will ensure that everything works fine on Mac and DX9. I hoped to work on it earlier, but was forced to prioritize some other features and fixes for teams close to their release dates. I don't think that it will be finished and tested this month, but April is pretty doable.

3. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

Hi! I'm considering buying the asset.

I wonder if there is a script function that returns the water elevation (y) at a given position (x, z). I need this in order for my own buoyancy scripts to work.

Thanks!

4. KillerNads

KillerNads

@zuzzu, was thinking of purchasing this today (last day of the sale). But i only really need it for VR.

From many of the reviews on the store people have said that there are a few issues in VR. Are you going to solve these ASAP? Please let me know so that i can decide.

Thanks

5. zuzzu

zuzzu

Also... I'm very excited about the upcoming Unity update in April. Some completely new optimizations for water will be possible with the scriptable render loop functionality.

Yes, there are functions for that.

I've fixed all reported VR issues in the beta releases.

They are not fixable for the Asset Store release without all that complex work that was put into these beta versions and make them "beta" versions ;)

Voodoo_ZA likes this.
  6. KillerNads

KillerNads

Cool thanks for your response, one other thing i needed to ask was that is this asset only really meant to be used for oceans? Is it a bit overkill to be used in VR for smaller waters such as swimming pools, lakes, etc... or should it be fine still?

Lastly, do objects that fall into the water just automatically float and behave to waves? Im assuming you have included a script file that we need to attach to objects to make them float?

thanks

7. zuzzu

zuzzu

It may be an overkill, that depends. It's fine to use for smaller water bodies as long they are noticeable and important for your game somehow. You may clone a water state between them or just use one water object with multiple meshes for a whole world. At that point it's just the cost of the base shader without per-instance overhead.

Yes, there are components for that called WaterFloat and WaterPhysics.

KillerNads likes this.
  8. KillerNads

KillerNads

Cool, thanks. I guess that makes sense, for my first level i only need it for a few swimming pools in the back garden of a few houses, the reason as to why i would prefer to use your water is because i guess it automatically would set it up to contain underwater effects and also a few other things that the free Unity Water doesnt do. Then i guess i could also use your floating and physic components on the objects that need to float in the pool!

One thing, would those components also work with the standard unity water, or would they fall right through it as they are dependent on your water system?

9. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

OK, I've been fiddling with the scripts.

Looks like we don't have a X,Z to Y function directly, apparently because of it being thread-safe. If I understood correctly, we have to instantiate a probe at a certain position, and it will give displacement and force updates, is that correct?

Do you have any advice for us to create a script that can track water displacement on a moving object (for example, a boat with a propeller attached)?

EDIT: There's another problem, there is not enough precision. In the weather demo scene, if you change the purple sphere's scale to 1/1/1, it goes underwater or floats in the air. Is there a way to get more precision? I tried changing the Water Float script parameter Precision and restarting, but the problem persisted.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  10. pat_trick

pat_trick

Hi, just purchased this asset and noting that there is a beta version which works better with Unity 5.5; how would I go about acquiring the beta?

Thanks!

11. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

See below from zuzzu. I just sent in my request.

12. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

@Epimolophant
    I use my own buoyancy system with this asset too. I just keep water samples for each object and use WaterSample.GetAndReset(pos).y to calculate water height. Works fine for even a great amount of objects.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hope every thing is starting to get better for you!!

14. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hello! I purchased your asset a few hours ago and everything has been working as intended so far. It blends in perfect in my low poly game :)

How would I go about making my character being able to swim / float? Whenever I try to apply the float of physics script everything freaks out

Just to get it out there, your asset was worth every dollar!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    iddqd likes this.
  15. Voodoo_ZA

Voodoo_ZA

Wish the best of luck Zuzzu, hope things get better soon hang in there!!! Thank you for your continued support even though you are going, through a tough time!! Your are awesome!!

kurotatsu, iddqd and veddycent like this.
  16. pojoih

pojoih

I've got another small issue related to Unity 5.6 beta. The new MSAA switch on the camera gets me some weird banding issues on geo/water borders letting the skybox shine through. Most likely related to the depth texture not correctly MSAAed as well. I've tried to fix it myself but no luck.

noAA.jpg wAA.jpg

17. iddqd

iddqd

Wishing you all the best and thanks for your dedication for this amazing asset!

18. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

Sorry to bother again, but I'm kinda lost here. Need to setup my own buoyancy.

Tried:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cube.transform.position = new Vector3 (0f,  water.GetHeightAt (cube.transform.position.x, cube.transform.position.z, 0.0f, 1.0f, Time.time), 0f);
    Also:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cube.transform.position = water.GetDisplacementAt (cube.transform.position.x, cube.transform.position.z, 0f, 1f, Time.time);
    And also:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 pos = cube.transform.position;
    2. pos.y = waterSample.GetAndReset (pos).y;
    3. cube.transform.position = pos;
    In all cases, the cube sometimes goes underwater, sometimes floats in the air. What am I missing?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  19. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Here is a script I use for some common grabs of water height.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using PlayWay.Water;
    4. namespace WPG
    5. {
    6.     public class Common
    7.     {
    8.         private static Water water = null;
    9.         private static WaterSample sample = null;
    11.         /// <summary>
    12.         /// Get height of the ocean at transform position
    13.         /// </summary>
    14.         public static float GetWaterHeight(Vector3 t)
    15.         {
    16.             return GetWaterHeight(t.x,t.z);
    17.         }
    19.         public static float GetWaterHeight(float x, float z)
    20.         {
    21.             if (water == null)
    22.             {
    23.                 if (water == null)
    24.                     water = MonoBehaviour.FindObjectOfType<Water>();
    25.                 sample = new WaterSample(water, WaterSample.DisplacementMode.Height, .2f);
    26.             }
    28.             return sample.GetAndReset(x, z, WaterSample.ComputationsMode.ForceCompletion).y;
    29.         }
    31.     }
    32. }

ftejada likes this.
  20. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

@CaptainMurphy thanks, it works! Not 100% precise, but gets the job done! =)

21. paxilon

paxilon

Hi I just bought this fancy stuff and now want to know if it is possible to make irt work together with "HX Volumetric Lighting". I own both and it seems that there are difficulties with the command buffer (wrong order?).

Thanks in advance

22. jilt

jilt

Thanks for the 2.0 beta. I'm trying to get caustics working, and it appears that this is now handled by LightWaterEffects.cs ? I can drop that onto a directional light and it will setup a Caustic Camera but all variables are hidden and I can't assign a caustic texture (even though there is one in the code). It would be very helpful to see this component explained a bit.

23. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

I believe I might have found a bug / glitch zuzzu. I have an area with a box collider with the script "Water Volume Subtract" on it. Whenever I enter this area (and go under the water) it works fine, no underwater effects are shown. However, when I enter a valid water and then go back into the "forbidden water" where the water doesn't show, the underwater IME script is turned off (as it should be), but it still changes the values of the audio reverb filter (making the player "hear" that he/ her is under water). I tried all three "Water Volume Subtract" modes, but they all have the same problem.

I found out that the function called "SetEffectsIntensity" from the Underwater IME script gets called after the first time being in the water (thus changing the audio reverb filter component variables).

I did some more digging and found out that this (in the WaterCamera script):

returns true and therefore activates the audio reverb effects. If this is supposed to be true in this scenario the problem is probably that the effect intensity is not calculated properly (I can see that the effect intensity is calculated using the vertical distance as a parameter and this might cause it?

I still don't exactly know why it only triggers after being in the "allowed" water at least once. Note that the audio reverb filter is the only thing that is being changed while under the "forbidden" water. Well anyway, I hope that you are able to solve this problem for me :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  24. nekozake

nekozake

This asset not support Windows Store platform?

25. zuzzu

zuzzu

It seems that foam is missing in b7 when "Local effects supported" is disabled in the shader set inspector. Please enable it as a temporary workaround, while I work on a proper fix.

I remember that problem. I think that I solved this already in the beta. I will either add that fix for the stable release soon or will rush 2.0 this month.

It's my omission in b7, apologies. I will upload b8 with a fix for that next week. You may try to use a debug inspector for the time being.

It won't work ;) They are separate systems.

26. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Hi!

I'm really loving your asset and this water is simply one of the best I've seen so far. I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks now and have one problem that I can't solve. I'm using Playway Water with Volumetric Fog (by Kronnect). If I would be using only these two plugins all would work great, but (!) I'm also using some transparent fences with alpha maps (fade mod- standard metallic shader). This double transparency causes always a problem in Unity and Fog renders in front of my fences. When I turn on "render before transparency" (Volume Fog) the fences render fine, but Playway water pops before this fog. Is there any way around this? Can I force this water somehow to render after the fog and these fences?

Mike

2017-03-09_12h02_54.png 2017-03-09_12h03_42.png

27. mr-whisky

mr-whisky

Would it be possible to get a video tutorial on how to correctly setup a ship? I also have a problem where my ship sometimes almost fully goes below water and then pops back up again.

28. panFX

panFX

unfortunately, this didn't work for me. the foam is still missing.

29. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

Quick question for everyone out there. I'm having a slight scaling issue for lack of a better description. The wave movement seems too fast almost as if I'm looking at my model sitting in a bathtub instead of an ocean. Is there a way to slow down or space out the wave movement that I'm missing? My model distance units are meters.

I also see an issue when translating the position of the camera that the wave speed is jittery or almost accelerated while movement is taking place. It's possible this was addressed in the beta releases, but I'm still on 1.1.6 while I await response to beta access request.

30. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I'm also awaiting beta response now!

31. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Can someone please tell me how to add this water to a custom mesh? I've been trying to do this with planes, boxes etc. I did all that had been decribed in the docs, but all I can create is boundless see.

I keep getting weird effects and there is no way of limiting of water area:
    2017-03-10_12h18_33.png

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  32. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Thanks! I'll try out the beta version

33. GuinUK

GuinUK

Hi there

I have seen in this chat that some people have managed to use this and Tenkoku's dynamic sky and get them working together.

I'm having a couple of issues and was hoping someone could help.
    I've posted on Gaia and Tenkoku forums too as I'm not sure where the fault lies (It probably lies with me - I'm fairly new to the whole setup)

11.3.17.png

At first it seemed to be working really well straight out of the box. The water effect is stunning and I managed to implement it easily with Gaia.

Sadly when I moved away from the initial spawn point I had 2 issues.

Firstly one of my Speedtree went blocky.

tree error.jpg

that isn't the end of the world as I can just use a different one, although would be nice to know what caused it.

The biggest issue is the lighting reflection on my terrain when I add Tenkoku's Dynamic Sky which is also incredible. Under the spaceship should be grass, and it is just reflecting like still water would.

Playway Gaia and Tenkoku not playing nice together.jpg

You can also see the error here that it almost chooses and clips what reflects and what doesn't.

terrain error.png
    Please could someone help me make them play nice together?
    I'm not on the beta version of Playway - would that potentially help?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can make it work,
    Guin

34. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @zuzzu !!

I bought your asset recently and I would like to ask you again: Are there advances in the characteristics of waves, foam and shorelines ?. I asked on several occasions, but I have read that you are going through personal problems and I hope they will be resolved as soon as possible. And most importantly, that you are well.

I would like to contribute a couple of videos that I found about the waves and foam on the beach lines. It's made with Unreal, and I would like to know if I can expect something like this with Playway Water in the near future.

Since your first post in 2015, when you put your asset on sale, I saw that you said that you had some ideas for the features of the waves breaking on the shore, but I do not know if there is any progress in those features.

Could you tell me something?

regards

Artaani likes this.
  35. Lohrion

Lohrion

I would guess you need to use the "Apply and regenerate Materials" button, which is shown on the tree prefab at the bottom.

36. GuinUK

GuinUK

That is indeed what I had to do - thanks for getting back to me :)

Lohrion likes this.
  37. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I hope @zuzzu checks in today, because my deadline is approaching and I really need to get started on the water in VR and the negative volumes.

38. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Hi zuzzu. I've encountered another problem with water. I've been trying tweaking various settings, but none had helped :-/.
    When I rotate my camera up and down I can't see reflection of my terrain in the water. Only certain angle gives me correct reflections (image). It looks as if it has fresnel attached (?). No matter what I do I can't get it fixed.

Attached Files:

Alzan and ftejada like this.
  39. Artaani

Artaani

I am also would like to request such features.
    PlayWay Water have the best looking ocean surface and geometry of waves, but unfortunately it still lacks other features from others water assets, such as:
    • Shadows on water surface
    • Point / spot lights on water surface
    • Shoreline waves and foam
    • Wave trails from the fast moving ships
    • Underwater caustics

For example, such features can be found in SUIMONO or AQUAS water system. But SUIMONO or AQUAS water surface looks not so beautiful as water surface in PlayWay, especially during storms.

If you will add those features, it will be amazing. You even will deserve to increase a price since it will be best water system for Unity.

ftejada likes this.
  40. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

• Shadows on water surface [latest beta does]
    • Point / spot lights on water surface [how do you mean? I use point lights and they light the water up fine]
    • Shoreline waves and foam
    • Wave trails from the fast moving ships [latest beta does]
    • Underwater caustics [latest beta does]
    Maybe that helps. We are using the latest beta for our game and it has those features listed above.

hopeful and ftejada like this.
  41. ftejada

ftejada

Hi

lack that zuzzu, when he can, give us information on how are the characteristics of shorelines, foam, waves on the shore, etc ... And watch the videos I post to see if he can do something similar or better with the shore line and the waves

42. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Is it possible to reach Zuzzu in any other way than on this forum? I still haven't received the beta and my deadline is scarily close now. I really hope this is a drop in solution that "just works" (similar to Valve's SteamVR, which was really impressive).

43. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

A shot from my latest build using PlayWay. We are getting closer to the effect stack we want.

44. GuinUK

GuinUK

Looks stunning that mate. Is that using the beta water?

45. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Yes, though I am not sure if it is the bleeding edge latest as I haven't pulled a new version for a couple weeks now. I put up a new devlog vid a bit ago showing it in motion too.

trilobyteme, Fenris2, GuinUK and 3 others like this.
  46. veddycent

veddycent

Can people please read the previous comments. The guy is having some private matters to deal with so stop being inconsiderate and complaining about not being able to get a hold of him.
    I'm sure if the situation was reversed you wouldn't want to get bombarded with messages

Voodoo_ZA likes this.
  47. wood333

wood333

Okey dokey, plan "B"

48. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

As much as I sympathize with the plight, (I have chronic medical issues, family history of them, have more doctors than close friends, etc, so I really can relate better than most) I also have an obligation to keep making progress on our projects. It takes seconds to respond on the forums, in PM's, on emails and right now we are getting none of that. It really isn't the lack of progress it is the lack of communication that is starting to concern us. We already went through this with Ceto and do not want a repeat of lost investment of time and money in a water solution. So, yes, patience is always appreciated, but for something that other people are relying on for their own projects, it really needs to be better communicated as to what the current status is and what the near future will bring in terms of progress. If he needs help in getting people the beta, coordinating the community, getting a handle on the bug reports then by all means, let me know. I have a private git server we could use to start getting people set up with and using to get a nice shared environment for getting these issues worked out. Hell, I'd help get a website set up with a private forum if need be. We just want to get some progress and bug fixes rolling soon.

ftejada likes this.
  49. ftejada

ftejada

Hi !!!

I do not know if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm having problems with reflections when I have the "HDR" turned on in the camera. I do not know if this problem has been discussed before in this thread or if the new beta that is available already has it corrected.
    I am using the latest PlayWay Water update from the asset store, not the beta.

Bad reflections HDR turned:
    BadReflections.jpg

Good reflections HDR desactived:
    GoodReflections.jpg

Can someone tell me how to fix this? Or the same zuzzu if it enters the forum.

Greetings and thanks in advance.

50. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

I tried spot lights, and they cause some reflections at certain angles, but other than that they do not illuminate the surface at all. Is that different in the newest beta?

Also, I found that transparent objects do not show at all when underwater (unless the camera is below them pointing towards the surface). Anyone else had this issue?

unityunity