Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Tried to download the windows standalone but only get a link to google drive that wants to run it in the browser. Have you released a stand alone demo yet?

2. zibas

zibas

Big fan. Great work!

I'm having trouble with physics and objects under 200 kilograms/square meter density. (Assuming we're working with unity's default 1 meter per unit and 1 kilogram per mass). Adjusting the Buoyancy Intensity as suggested in the manual doesn't seem to stop objects from behaving erratically, usually jetting off into the sky.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

3. nubdev

nubdev

Hey, a few issues though one cosmetic - your violent storm preset is quite different from the last version - there is a significant drop in height with the water level to achieve the stormy waves which leads to quite a few patches of terrain being shown as the wave drops below it... is there way to achieve the look of the last version? This new preset looks like its 10x magnified scale in comparison and the significant drops in height are a killer. Is it possible to get an older version of the plugin even? The last "very stormy" preset was perfect.

Also the underwater cam has switched problems on me - the water splash screen effect is not working whereas there is something happening underwater in terms of post processing, though I am thinking its not meant to look the way it does... new projects seem not to fix it so I am going to update to 5.3 and see what happens.

4. zuzzu

zuzzu

My bad. I will set correct links to them tomorrow at morning.

Thanks! Such bodies are affected by exaggerated buoyancy force compared to gravity due to their low density and achieve balance just by being submerged in a few percent. If you would submerge them fully by force, they would be launched into the air.

Because physics work in fixed time steps, such bodies may be completely above water in one time step and for example 60% submerged in the next step making the buoyancy to go crazy.

I'm putting effort into handling such objects in some special way, but until I will come up with something, the only way is to lower the buoyancy intensity and/or lower physics time step.

Are you comparing to 1.0? If so, then it had some bugs in its spectrum that produced unrealistic waves ;) Some of the biggest waves were also skipped. You can probably still get the desired result for the storms by using lower "Waves Amplitude" and "Wind Speed" in that profile.

Next version solves such issues by lowering overall waves amplitude near the coasts and performing specialized simulation near them.

Can you post a screenshot? I have forgotten to mention it in the docs, but UnderwaterIME needs to be placed above tonemapping, color grading etc.

5. nubdev

nubdev

It's a shame because we're not too fixated on hyper realism, and liked the look of the last algorithm - fit our use perfectly. Oh well.. Tried to go back to another project that had 1.0 working, though it now suffers from the same issues as 1.1.1 - will experiment with the values you said to see if we can get it working for us again, thanks.

edit- seems that the high waves are the main mechanism for creating a stormy look since lowering amplitude + wind speed tends to make it look like a choppy compared to rough - no foam etc... whilst the last was quite unnerving and imposing this is quite tame. Sorry to go on and on about it but I am attempting to find out why the project with the 1.0 version is now showing the same errors as this updated project with 1.1.1..

Thanks for all your help up until now

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  6. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

7. ddf

ddf

The underwater blur is upside-down in Unity 5.3.1 with forward rendering in DX11 mode on Windows. Is this a known issue? Does version 1.1.1 fix it?

8. ddf

ddf

I am also seeing very erratic and extreme offsets coming back from WaterSample using the DiplacementMode.Displacement and ComputationMode.Computation.

My game is configured to load up with one Water asset, which is then set to DontDestroyOnLoad. Some scenes do not use the water, so I disable it by setting the component's enabled property to false. If I start the game in a scene that disables water and then load to a scene that enables water, I see the erratic behavior. If I start the game in a scene that does not disable the water, everything seems fine. Any idea why this might happen?

9. zuzzu

zuzzu

I've seen this earlier. Do you by any chance have a directional light parallel to the water surface?

If you are on 1.0 then updating to 1.1.1 will fix the erratic offsets issue. I've made some initialization fixes too, so the second part of your problems may be also fixed. Let me know, if it won't help.

10. ddf

ddf

I am on 1.1

We are just finishing up a demo, so now is not a good time to change versions. I will try 1.1.1 in a week or so.

Any ideas about the underwater blur? It'd be a real shame to have to show the demo with it upside-down like it is.

11. zuzzu

zuzzu

Do you use antialiasing in Unity's quality settings?

If that's the case I can send you a hotfix on Thursday.

12. ddf

ddf

Yes we are using antialiasing in Unity's quality settings.

13. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Depending on the time of day/night in the game, yes. But that's obviously going to happen in any game with a day/night cycle.

14. zuzzu

zuzzu

I was interested, if this bug was during that time, but a reason is something else anyway (probably).

You need to keep at least one directional light in your scene without a cookie (it may have very low intensity like 0.001). If there are no such lights, Unity passes zeroes to few parameters causing divisions by zero. I could add a check for it to shader, but that would have some minor performance impact.

First dir light is always free anyway.

15. SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

Does anyone here, tried using this one with Gaia ??? any success of using it without any further issues ?

16. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

It's a post effect.

17. daschatten

daschatten

Both tools are independent of each other. No problems on my side...

18. halcyon626

halcyon626

Bought this a couple weeks ago - absolutely beautiful. Any updates on 1.2/shorelines? In beta or...?

19. zuzzu

zuzzu

Still working on it, sorry. Some bugs were found during our recent tests.

It is kind of ready to be published right now, but one of our games is on hold until all issues with shore waves will be sorted out, forcing me to keep it for a bit longer. The upside is that it should be pretty stable when it gets here.

montyfi and Rycons like this.
  20. Werewolf_GS

Werewolf_GS

Hi I have unity 5.3, getting a bunch of errors about dx11 and the water is coming up pink. Could I please have a fix? Thanks

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _VOLUMETRIC_LIGHTING _WATER_FOAM_WS _WATER_REFRACTION _WAVES_FFT': failed to open source file: 'WaterTessellation.cginc' at line 189 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF FOG_EXP2 _WAVES_FFT _WATER_FRONT
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_TEXTURE_ALPHASPLIT_ALLOWED

Edit: Sent you a pm with invoice number :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  21. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Hi, @zuzzu

One question. How to pack your water in asset bundles? What need to pack and not need to pack?

22. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Getting errors in Unity 5.3.4f1, using PlayWay Water System 1.1.1

InvalidOperationException: The following game object is invoking the DontDestroyOnLoad method: Water.RenderTexturesCache. Notice that DontDestroyOnLoad can only be used in play mode and, as such, cannot be part of an editor script.
    PlayWay.Water.RenderTexturesCache+RenderTexturesUpdater.EnsureInstance () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Utilities/RenderTexturesCache.cs:120)
    PlayWay.Water.RenderTexturesCache.GetCache (Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 depthBuffer, RenderTextureFormat format, Boolean linear, Boolean uav, Boolean mipMaps) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Utilities/RenderTexturesCache.cs:36)
    PlayWay.Water.RenderTexturesCache.GetTemporary (Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 depthBuffer, RenderTextureFormat format, Boolean linear, Boolean uav, Boolean mipMaps) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Utilities/RenderTexturesCache.cs:58)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterPlanarReflection.GetRenderTexture (Int32 width, Int32 height) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterPlanarReflection.cs:289)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterPlanarReflection.RenderReflection (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterPlanarReflection.cs:176)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterPlanarReflection.OnWaterRender (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterPlanarReflection.cs:135)
    PlayWay.Water.Water.OnWaterRender (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Water.cs:1017)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterRenderer.Render (UnityEngine.Camera camera, WaterGeometryType geometryType) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Base/WaterRenderer.cs:128)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera.RenderWater () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:413)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera.OnPreCull () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:321)

upload_2016-3-20_21-44-17.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  23. Yan-Pepin

Yan-Pepin

On Unity 5.3.4f1, as soon as I add some Playway Water, I can't select my scene objects by clicking on them in the 3D viewport anymore. I have to draw a selection rectangle that encompasses the whole object to select it. When I delete my water, close Unity and open it again, I can select my objects again by just clicking on them as normal. Am I the only one to have this problem?

24. zuzzu

zuzzu

Sorry for responding late. Simply missed the notifications, had a lot of work this week.

Hey, I don't know to be honest, but there are teams that have reported doing it successfully. If you still need it let me know and I will ask them.

@tachyon-particle, @Yan Pepin: I've fixed these and few other issues with 5.3.4 earlier this week. I'm planning to submit an update containing them just after the holidays.

Rycons likes this.
  25. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Please, ask them ;) Thanks!

26. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Howdy! Just bought a copy for our WebGL game, but a WebGL build of the demo crashes in Chrome and Firefox. Any idea what we might need to do to get it to run? Thanks!

The error we got wasn't super helpful:

upload_2016-3-23_17-41-37.png

27. MINJU-KANG

MINJU-KANG

hi zuzzu!
    playway water system... Does it work? 5.4.0b11?? I developed in this version..
    If the operating...
    I want to buy

28. imDanOush

imDanOush

@zuzzu I can't replicate the foam that appears on sea shore. What should I do for it?
    I mean something like this (or something close to it) :

My second question is how would I be able to remake realistic waves? something like this (or something close to it) :

This is what I currently made -_- Yeah... super realistic I know :D :

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  29. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

We're having an issue viewing our skybox from underneath shallow water. Is there a setting to control the opacity of the under water fog so we can still see our skybox partially?

Attached Files:

30. Plutoman

Plutoman

@D4N005H You're asking a question many many people have wanted an answer for!

Realistic waves like that are extraordinarily difficult to produce. Which is why triple A games across the board don't even have realistic simulations, including games focused on oceans. The best we can do is use approximations to hopefully get close to that.

As far as I know, he's still working on the shoreline system (I haven't kept up to date, maybe it's complete) which would maybe include some of those features, but unlikely the fully realistic waves.

31. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

You can disregard that post - we were using an old release candidate at the time.

However our Time of Day skybox sun/moon/stars seem to show up with a blood red tint when viewed from under water now:

32. zuzzu

zuzzu

WebGL is not supported. Please send me your Invoice No and I will ask UT to refund you.

Shoreline waves are part of the next major update. You won't be able to make breaking waves like on a second screenshot, but those on first one are doable.

It works with Unity 5.4, but with a few bugs. Next week's update will fix them.

What's your water absorption color?

I should improve on this area (seeing things out of water, when camera is submerged). I will look into this just after update for Unity 5.4 will be out.

33. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

We've got a near black color with a hint of teal mostly to give the fog effect we're looking for:

34. imDanOush

imDanOush

I just got into the sea shore effect recently, so I didn't know that is a thing here. So do you mean there is no way to replicate it with this asset? then if yes, I should find a workaround for it which is this shader:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/water-foam-shoreline-shader.347107/
    And speaking about the waves, actually they do look complex but once he make the shoreline system, he can make the waves. I mean look at the image I've made below:

also there is a guy that made the waves shader for Unity3D which extremely awesome but he never shared it or haven't sold it have a look at here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/visualization-of-earths-beauty-dev-diary.229118/

If we mix my idea and the guy's shader then we could probably have something like waves which would be better than nothing, I guess.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  35. imDanOush

imDanOush

Okay then, we'll wait but please have a look at this shader which replicates waves amazingly:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/visualization-of-earths-beauty-dev-diary.229118/
    Have a look at the last video there and note how water waves hit other meshes and generates water particles, that is great.
    Hope that would help you add that feature into this asset,though.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  36. Exbleative

Exbleative

Could you give any advice for settings for really huge waves? I'm seeing a couple of issues such as:
    - Slightly wobbly looking wave geometry
    - Blocky low resolution foam (can't seem to fix with foam tiling settings, only Tile Size, which causes distant foam tiling problems)
    - Camera not understanding when its inside a wave or not, then either seeing through to the ocean floor minus any kinda fog or going inside a wave when its not actually in yet.

My settings (I'm making some unrealistic alien oceans) are:
    Wind Speed 70
    Tile size 300 (not hugely clear on what this and the next two do)
    Tile scale 10
    Amplitude 150
    Horizontal 2
    Directionality 1
    Fetch 8000000 (can I ever get completely horizontal 'lines' of waves?)

Also curious if you think any form of surfing/rock skipping kinda physics would be possible on the waves?
    Cheers,
    Jay

37. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

There seems to be some odd field of view reflection culling going on around the border of the game camera. Notice in this video how the reflections are circle shaped, and are missing near the borders of the camera.

Video: https://vid.me/r7b4

38. imDanOush

imDanOush

@zuzzu found a great tool to make waves, look at this

Mr-Logan and hopeful like this.
  39. pojoih

pojoih

Awesome asset! Is there a value onside the shaders I can turn to scale down the whole simulation?

I want to use it in a miniaturized world and use a custom mesh (like build-in unity plane) to make a "small" lake.
    Just turning down tile size wind speed and tile size/scale does not enough as the waves are moving too fast.

40. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Call me an idiot, but I'm just not getting the workflow for using custom meshes, like for a lake / pond thing that I'm making. Does the mesh have to be a prefab, or have some specific component added to it?
    Generally the documentation is actually pretty good, it's just this one step that could use some clearing up.

Also, I seem to have this weird bug where I can't select objects in my scene using the cursor, I have to use the hierarchy tab (5.3.4).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  41. Fraconte

Fraconte

When you set the geometry type to "Custom meshes", you have to also add the meshes to the list "Custom meshes" (just 3 lines below).

42. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

@Fraconte: Yes, this is what I mean about selecting the meshes - I've created a regular unity plane, yet in the inspector on the custom mesh list, the water system won't let me specify the plane from the scene.

43. Fraconte

Fraconte

@Deckard_89: Do you know you have to set Size to at least 1 to be able to add meshes?
    WaterMeshes.PNG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  44. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

@Fraconte Yes. I put size to one, then clicked the selector icon, but then when the window appears to choose your mesh, there are no meshes to choose from in the scene.

45. Fraconte

Fraconte

@Deckard_89 Just change tab from "Scene" to "Assets". :)

46. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

@Fraconte So I dragged my plane into my project folder, selected that from Assets as the custom mesh, and it doesn't work. (Also tried dragging back into the scene) I even tried Ocean Plane as per your example, but again, does not work. The very instant I turn back to radial grid - boom - perfect sea. Small custom meshes though? Not working for me. The fact that I have that bug the same as @Yan Pepin, where I can't select scene objects, probably means something is up. Maybe if that is sorted in the next update then this issue will be solved as well.

47. Fraconte

Fraconte

@Deckard_89 If you have the water setup as in my image above, you should see a water plane. Have you checked at the Water gameObject position? (just in case you are looking at the mesh in your scene)

48. Fraconte

Fraconte

@Deckard_89 I have just discovered that I have the selection bug too... Anyway the water mesh is working.

49. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

@Fraconte I got a plane in the selector, but there's no water being rendered on the mesh. I tried putting the PlayWay water standard shader on it, but that doesn't seem the right way - surely there's some default water it would apply, like with the radial grid "ocean" type. Would you mind telling me step by step how you got yours working? I feel like I'm missing a simple step, or doing it in the wrong order or something.

50. Fraconte

Fraconte

@Deckard_89 Try this test scene with a simple plane.
    If you try a quad it doesn't show well (you have to rotate it 180 degree on Y axis).
    A cube works but it's not perfect.
    Note that you have to change mesh before play.

Attached Files: