Search Unity

Playmaker Vs Bolt.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TheMadScientist11, May 31, 2019.

1. TheMadScientist11

TheMadScientist11

Hello,

New to Unity here. I have almost no programming language so I'm considering between Playmaker and Bolt.

Which one is easier for a beginner? Keep in mind that I'll only be making mobile games(hyper casual games, 2D platformers, etc). I think completing a project is very important so I'll keep my goals small and achievable. I'm also going to be developing solo.

So, for my purpose, which one is the better option for me?

Please help me decide as I'm in analysis paralysis mode over this. I've read enough threads and did enough googling to the point I'm starting to loose my mind. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Visual scripting solutions can be good for scripting certain systems, but if your intention is to skip C# all together and do the entire game with a visual scripting package you're going to get pretty frustrated. You'd be far better off learning C# so you can benefit from all the tutorials, the Unity manual, and forum threads which discuss specific issues you need solved in your game. All those assume C#.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Neither. The hardest part of programming is not the language. It's wrapping your head around programming concepts and learning to approach problem solving in a way that a computer can understand which is very different from the way we as humans would normally solve them.

Both. One beginner is not the same as another beginner. Bolt is basically a traditional programming language in a visual format. Playmaker is a finite state machine and working with it is wildly different from traditional languages. Some people will find Bolt to be very easy to learn while some people will find Playmaker to be very easy to learn.

Basically there is no answer to this that isn't "you need to try both of them to know", but before you do all of that my advice is that you try C#. Because if you're able to think like a programmer you're almost guaranteed to pick it up. Below is a link to a free ebook that teaches the basics of C# (outside of Unity).

http://www.csharpcourse.com/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019