Search Unity

Playmaker Platforming Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Graham-B, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Graham-B

Graham-B

3DSauce proudly presents,

Playmaker Platforming Starter Kit. Now available on the Unity Asset Store* and 3DSauce.com!

*Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. While clicking these links won't cost you any money, it will help us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

Designed to help you get up and running quickly with your Playmaker platformer project! Learn from easy to understand, fully commented state machines.

Unity 5 Ready!
    *Requires Playmaker

Features:

1 - Moving Platforms, Coins, Health system, Checkpoints, Basic Enemy, Death and Respawn.
    2 - Easily swap character models.
    3 - Supports both legacy and mecanim animation systems.
    4 - Rigidbody physics based controller, made entirely with Playmaker!
    5 - Fully commented logic for easy dissection and tweaking.
    6 - Both analog gamepad and keyboard controls.
    7 - Mobile controls Included!
    8 - Animation and blending support.
    9 - Idle, Walk, Run, Sprint, Jump, Double Jump, Fall.
    10 - Rigidbody physics interactions simple to integrate.
    11 - Character and animations included.
    12 - Basic platforming camera system.

<< DEMO >>
    << Sample APK >>

Feel free to ask questions, make suggestions, or post requests in this thread.
    You can also refer to our thread on the Playmaker forums.

Thank you all for your support! Please remember to leave a rating and review if you want to encourage updates and new kits!

This kit also comes bundled as part of the Playmaker Essentials Pack, a complete collection of our most popular Playmaker game templates!

Available on the Unity Asset Store* and 3DSauce.com!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. Graham-B

Graham-B

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know the kit has just been updated to v1.3. Among other minor improvements, the kit has had it's animation system completely overhauled. Now swapping the default character with your own is a breeze, you'll find detailed instructions in the revamped documentation. Setup is now much simpler as well.

Hope you're all enjoying the kit,
    Graham

3. Graham-B

Graham-B

v1.4 is live on the asset store. Be sure to download the latest version to access the new features.

The latest update adds new features such as a health system, checkpoints, basic enemy, death and respawn. Also supports mobile controls using Virtual Controls Suite.

Thank you everyone for your support and patience!

4. sirius_002

sirius_002

Hi, I noticed that when you have 3 health and grab the heart at the end of the level the killzone (lava?) doesn't kill you and you're stuck.

5. Graham-B

Graham-B

THANKS sirius! I encountered this before but wasn't sure how to reproduce it, nice find.

EDIT: Fixed in next update.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. sirius_002

sirius_002

Nice, I like the way you're constantly adding to this.

7. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

Your Playmaker Platforming Starter Kit works for 2D and 2.5D, correct? I just wanted to make sure before purchasing.
    Thanks

8. Graham-B

Graham-B

The kit does not directly support 2D. If you character is modeled and animated in a 3d application, and works using the legacy animation system, then yes it would work with my kit. Otherwise it likely won't be compatible.

Thanks for your interest Ryan!

9. wagamama

wagamama

$jump.png
    Hello did you can add this skill to this package!?
    I really do not know how to wrote in playmaker

If you can add this feature
    I would be very happy to buy one
    As tuition

10. Graham-B

Graham-B

Hi wagamama

It is on my list, but it may be a while though before I get to wall jumping. I'll keep you updated!

11. Graham-B

Graham-B

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know version 1.5 just hit the asset store!

Change log:
    - Basic mecanim support added.
    - Numerous improvements have been made to the camera rig.
    - Added Coins.
    - Remaining FSMs have been fully commented and colored.
    - Should no longer receive prefab error messages.
    - Stuck in KillZone bug fix.
    - Checkpoints now save the position of the checkpoint itself instead of the players position, this prevents mid air respawn.
    - Global variables and project settings now included alongside product.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  12. dayvbrown

dayvbrown

Hi there,

First of all, thanks for a great kit, i've started to play around with it today and it looks very promising indeed.

I do need a bit of help though, setting up the killzone in a level of my own. It seems all the prefabs (moving platforms, controller, etc) are working however dragging a killzone into the scene does not seem to work straight up.

Is there a process i've missed? The killzone itself has no fsms attached, however that's the same in your sample scene. I'm not sure I understand exactly how it is working. Is this documented anywhere? Can't seem to find it in the pdf.

Anyway thanks again for the kit, looking forward to working with it a bit more.

Dave.

13. Graham-B

Graham-B

Hi Dave,

Extremely sorry for the late reply, I have tried dragging the killzone prefab into a test scene and it is working as intended for me. Ensure that your killzone is tagged as "Kill_Zone" and that the box collider is present and set to "Is Trigger." Also, check the "Health Manager" FSM, inside the "Wait For Damage" state make sure the second "Trigger Event," "Collide Tag" is set to "Kill_Zone."

In case you can't find the Health Manager, it is a child of the Controller.

Please let me know if this remedies your issue.

14. Graham-B

Graham-B

Just a quick note, if anyone needs a mecanim version of the VCS mobile controller, contact me with your invoice number and I'll send you a pre-release copy. For everyone else, it will be added in the next release.

15. space_droid

space_droid

I just purchased the kit. It's a very nice package. I am having a great time looking through the FSM's to see how everything is done. Have you considered porting this to unity 2d using the new 2d physics? I am trying to convert certain parts and running into issues.

16. Graham-B

Graham-B

Glad you are enjoying the kit space_droid! I may do something like this eventually, but currently I have no experience with the 2d toolset in unity. I am planning to learn it in the near future though, so I will keep you updated.

17. Graham-B

Graham-B

Just letting users know, there is a bug with the mobile controls in the current release. When jumping on a moving platform, the player will lose the ability to jump. If anyone is experiencing this, there is a simple fix!

You will have to add a Send Event action to both the "IDLE" and "IDLE - Platform" states. Basically fill it in exactly as shown in the attached image. In case you don't know, to fill in the gameobject you need to drag and drop the "buttonJump" child gameobject from the "Prefab_VCSMobileControls" into the slot.

That will fix it, I will add this to the next update. Please let me know if you still experience any issues.

18. BioFan

BioFan

I need ladder climbing, ledge hang and climb and rope grab with momentum...is this in your list? If you can make it, I will buy :)

19. Graham-B

Graham-B

Hi BioFan, I already have ladders on my list. I will add the others to the wish list, but I can't add them anytime soon.

I am actually planning to do a major revamp of the whole system soon, I am currently waiting on a new character model with more animations to support the extra features.

Thanks for checking out the kit! I'll keep you informed about any updates.

20. BioFan

BioFan

Thanks for the reply Graham. Ahhh please do. I'm very interested. And if you don't mind, one more thing, a power up that changes the player look? :)

thank you

21. Graham-B

Graham-B

@BioFan Can you please clarify what you mean by changing the player's look? Model changes? Texture changes?

Thanks!

22. BioFan

BioFan

@Graham.B what i'm looking for is model change. :)

23. Graham-B

Graham-B

Just wanted to inform anyone who is interested, the platforming kit is 50% off for 24 hours on the Unity asset store!

I also have great news, a new fully featured character model is being created for this and other upcoming kits. This will allow for better mecanim integration and accommodate a wider range of requested features.

Exciting times!

24. Rosie-Posie

Rosie-Posie

Hello everyone! Right now you can use this MERRY10 coupon to get 10$ off your next 20$ purchase on our Website! But this code expires on the 1st of January, so get your Playmaker kits while they are still hot!!

Happy Holidays everyone!!

25. trintasegundos

trintasegundos

hello there.

"You will have to add a Send Event action to both the "IDLE" and "IDLE - Platform" states. Basically fill it in exactly as shown in the attached image. In case you don't know, to fill in the gameobject you need to drag and drop the "buttonJump" child gameobject from the "Prefab_VCSMobileControls" into the slot."

i dont know how to do this.
    can you please explain step by step?
    thank you

26. Graham-B

Graham-B

@trintasegundos

Select the "MobilePlatformingController" game object in the hierarchy tab. In the playmaker editor you will see the Platforming Controller FSM. This is where you will find the Idle and Idle Platform states. Create the Send event action in both of these states as shown in the image on the original post. To make the next step easier to manage you can press the "Lock" button at the top of the playmaker editor window while you are still in the controller FSM.

To finish off, you have to expand the "Prefab_VCSMobileControls" game object which is also found under the hierarchy tab. in here you will find the buttonJump game object that you have to drag into the send event action.

I hope this clears it up a little.

27. Graham-B

Graham-B

Just a little sneak peak at our steampunk hero, he'll be starring in a few upcoming kits as well as the platforming kit!

28. Graham-B

Graham-B

Just wanted to quickly update everyone who is interested, I've started updating the Platforming kit to support Unity 5.

The good news: It should be completed very soon, the only issues I am facing are minor and mostly caused by changes to the physics engine.

The bad news: (But in a way good ;)) I am not sure if the author of Virtual Controls Suite is going to update his asset for Unity 5, as he hasn't touched the asset since 2013. So if you are using that addon, I think you may be out of luck with Unity 5.

HOWEVER! I am going to try implementing my own mobile control solution using the new Unity GUI. I think this would be great in the long run, as mobile support will no longer require a separate asset purchase!

Thank you everyone for your patience, I will let you know as soon as it's ready.

29. Graham-B

Graham-B

I just submitted an update with full Unity 5 Support! If anyone is curious about the new mobile controls, here is an Android APK sample you can try out. Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    twobob likes this.
  30. kindel

kindel

Hey Graham B.
    Good work on the Kit, i am really having fun with it.
    I have a question: Since the player is 3D I would like to have him move him forward and back on a plane.
    I looked trough the Variables and FSMs, I tried enabling the axis's for Z movement and rotation but I think I need 2 more states in the Animation controller. Do i just duplicate the left/right states and modify the accordingly?
    What are your thoughts on that?
    Thank you!

31. twobob

twobob

I really bought this to get this kids interested in using Playmaker.
    I am pleased you upped it to version 5_0, hopefully this will - at some point - get it's chance to air and I'll give you feedback.

I recall testing it when I bought it. it was hard to break.
    Nice work.

32. Graham-B

Graham-B

Thanks kindel!
    I don't have access to my computer this weekend, however I think I have an idea off the top of my head. In your L and R move states and also the jump states you will need the following:

1. An additional get axis action for axis "Vertical" which represents up and down keys.
    2. In the existing set Velocity you will need to add a new global variable in the Z axis for movement up and down.
    3. You will need a float clamp action to keep this variable's value inside the limits of the range you want to allow the player to move.

That should give you the range of movement you are looking for. Besides the smooth look at direction, I think the animations will take care of themselve depending on what you are looking for. Let me know how it goes!

33. Graham-B

Graham-B

Thanks twobob, really appreciate that. I wish I had access to these tools when I was a kid. :)

34. kindel

kindel

Awesome!
    I will play around with that for a while see what i can accomplish. However I will wait until the Unity 5 update for this kit hits the store to work with it in my current project.
    Thank you for the clarification on the movement, I tried it some other way but your way is easier and faster to do.
    However I encountered some issues while changing the player's mesh and rig, I did some tests using the legacy and mechanim rigs. I got the player moving from side to side and jumping but the animations didn't really want to play.
    Also at one point I had a bug where the player would keep his Fall state even after landing. (maybe its just me).

Looking forward for the update for Unity 5!

Thank you again!

35. Graham-B

Graham-B

The newest update has a fix for the fall state bug you mentioned, however I have never encountered it in Unity 4, only 5. You will have to let me know if you are able to reproduce it.

36. kindel

kindel

Will do!
    Enjoy the weekend ! :)

37. Graham-B

Graham-B

I added button artwork and made some modifications to the mobile controls thanks to all the feedback. I enlarged the touch areas, added speed smoothing to the sprint function, and added button press scaling instead of color changing. I also fixed a bug that caused the player to stick to walls when pressing towards them while in mid air.

I've uploaded a new Sample APK for anyone who wants to try it out. This update has already been submitted for approval on the Asset Store.

38. Graham-B

Graham-B

This kit is now included in our Playmaker Essentials Pack!

You can get the entire Playmaker template collection at almost 50% OFF the regular price when you buy the bundle this week only!

Don't forget, I can give you an additional rebate for any kits you already own! Just contact me.

39. musta

musta

Greetings Graham,

I just bought your platforming kit and started to tweak it around. I had playmaker asset way before but never had the chance to work with it.

I have a problem though, I couldn't make the character to move both in legacy and the mechanim scenes. It can only jump. I tried to modify the FSM but when I change the states and key bindings (because arrows don't work) of MOVE_LEFT or MOVE_RIGHT it gives an error and doesn't compile.

Can you help me with this?

40. Graham-B

Graham-B

It looks as though the Playmaker Globals didn't import properly while unpacking the Platforming kit, re-importing them manually with the supplied "PlatformerGlobals" should fix your issues. There is a paragraph relating to installation issues in the "Getting Started" section of the documentation that you may want to read.

In short, you will need to navigate to the resources folder. Select the “PlatformerGlobals” and select “Import Globals” in the inpector window.

Let me know if this helped.

41. musta

musta

Thanks alot! It solved the problem :)

42. Graham-B

Graham-B

43. Graham-B

Graham-B

Only one day left! take 50% off any order on 3DSauce.com! Use coupon code "black50" during checkout.

44. musta

musta

Hey Graham, hope you doing well.
    I was wondering that if you are going to keep support this asset, because with the new update of playmaker there are some compatability problems, such as player not facing the direction it moves etc.

45. Graham-B

Graham-B

Hi Musta,

You have experienced these issues yourself? Can you please tell me which version of Playmaker and which version of Unity you are using? I will have to take a look.

46. musta

musta

yes I've experienced these issues myself.
    tried with the playmaker 1.7.8.4 (and also the beta version 1.8.0) and unity version is 5.3.0f4.

47. Graham-B

Graham-B

I can't reproduce this issue. Please contact me by email and I can take a look at your project if you want.

48. Graham-B

Graham-B

From now until November 28th, take 50% off any order on 3DSauce.com! Use coupon code "Thanks50" during checkout.

49. Graham-B

Graham-B

The Playmaker Platforming Starter Kit is now Unity 2017 ready!

For the next week, get 40% off when you purchase the Playmaker Platforming Starter Kit on our website. (http://3dsauce.com/release/platforming/)

I hereby dub this Platforming Week!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  50. Graham-B

Graham-B

IMPORTANT information regarding all 3D Sauce templates!

If anyone is running into FSM or build errors, there are a few simple steps to follow that will remedy these issues until I've had time to update the packages.

Simply open all affected scenes and re-save them individually. This should fix any issues you are experiencing after updating to the latest version of any 3D Sauce template and Playmaker.

Thanks for you patience. Please don't hesitate to report any additional issues that may arise.