Search Unity

Playmaker or Bolt, or Antares?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EvilWeevil, May 10, 2018.

1. EvilWeevil

EvilWeevil

I have been using Unity for a bit now, and am comfortable with it. I have done scripting, and it has worked, and it hasn't worked at other times, until plenty of research bears fruit. So I recently stumbled upon visual scripting tools. So, with a decent grasp of how coding works, and I am also a quick learner with new technologies, which is better to help with my time when coding - Playmaker, Bolt, or something free like Antares?
    I'm looking for something that can be used instead of writing the codes, for various different types of games. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edit: also taking into consideration what works well with the new Unity Update

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

try them all, in a real use case and see what you prefer.

I have used playmaker since the first version and find it sufficient for most things.

also bought bolt but have not used it yet.

3. EvilWeevil

EvilWeevil

Ok, thanks. So is Playmaker useful for all types of coding for games? Or does it have its limitations?

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I use it mainly for triggering actions.

So for example and collision between the player and an object, fires an event in playmaker and the event plays a sound / changes the high score / plays a particle effect, opens a door etc.

5. Amon

Amon

Bolt is pretty cool. As Lars says though, try them both. It's all about preference and what works for you.

6. EvilWeevil

EvilWeevil

Ok, will check it out then

7. EvilWeevil

EvilWeevil

Thanks. Will check them both out, as they are both on sale may go for it

8. zenGarden

zenGarden

I own both and i find Bolt is lot more advanced than Playmaker, it's lot more natural and easy to use, the flowgraph is modern, and FSM is more advanced as you have things like enter,update and exit states for example.

Ignacii likes this.
  9. sledgeman

sledgeman

There is also:
    - GameFlow
    - uNode
    Check them too. Maybe they appeal more to you....try it out.

10. Stardog

Stardog

Playmaker is pretty much just a state machine editor.

Bolt is full visual programming, and seems near 1:1 with the Unity API, and can also create state machines.

See FlowCanvas too.

Antares used to be the best, but has not been updated in a long time, so it probably doesn't work. In those days, people preferred Playmakers simpler style. Only since Blueprints do people want full programming.

Last edited: May 11, 2018