Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing my game in public places

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by P3ndragonLLC, Feb 19, 2020.

1. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hello,

Are there any rules for governing where games built on unity can be played? Like, can my game be played in my church lobby, or sell to a hotel to play in their lobby?

Thanks!
    Scott

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

There are no such rules. Play 'em where you like.

UnityMaru likes this.
  3. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Great, thanks!

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Technically there are a handful of rules in the license, but they don't impact your typical game. For example if your Unity build forms the basis of a UI in an embedded device which will be mass produced, or if your game would require a gambling related license in your jurisdiction, you will need separate licensing from Unity. An example which would fit the description of either rule would be if your game was integrated into a Las Vegas style slot machine.

For your typical game though there aren't such rules.

UnityMaru and Ryiah like this.
  5. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

I see, so the first case is if I were to use unity as the primary UI for an embedded device, such as a vr phone or something where the UI was made in unity, vs the "normal" practice of a game built in unity running on a device that has a UI based on a typical desktop or web OS.

And then the second is in relationship with gambling.

Thanks for the clarification!

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The exact wording of the rules are under Unity Software Additional Terms section 2

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

The embedded software restriction is under 2.3

2.3 Embedded Software Restriction.
    You may not directly or indirectly distribute your Project Content installed on more than 1,000 electronic devices or systems if your Project Content provides the user interface or primary functionality of such electronic device or system without a separate grant of rights from Unity. This restriction does not prevent you from distributing your Project Content pre-installed on personal computers and consumer electronic devices such as mobile phones, tablets, televisions or set top boxes as long as your Project Content does not provide the user interface or primary functionality of such device.

The gambling restriction is under 2.5 and clarified in section 9

2.5 Gambling Restriction.
    You may not develop, distribute or publish any of your Project Content in connection with any Gambling Activities without a separate grant of rights from Unity.

9.3 “Gambling Activities” means any gambling product or service offered in any market or application that is regulated by any local, state or national authority and requires a gambling license.

7. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Thank you very much!

Joe-Censored and UnityMaru like this.