Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for your feedback about Templates! Tell us about your experiences by taking our survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback PlayerSettings.WebGL.template need revamp

Discussion in 'WebGL' started by aurelien-morel-ubiant, Jan 21, 2020.

1. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Hello Unity dev,
    I was trying to use your
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PlayerSettings.WebGL.template
    and to do so, I basically just read the documentation from your website :

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/PlayerSettings.WebGL-template.html

This documentation seems pretty clear by the way : Path to the WebGL template asset.

So to patch this part during my automation process, I just read the WebGLTemplates folder and set this variable with the one I need.

When I execute my straightforward code based on your documentation, my build failed with this message

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2. UnityEditor.WebGL.WebGlBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WebGL/Extensions/Unity.WebGL.extensions/BuildPostprocessor.cs:936)
    3. UnityEditor.Modules.DefaultBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args, UnityEditor.BuildProperties& outProperties) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Modules/DefaultBuildPostprocessor.cs:27)
    4. UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup targetGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:286)
    5. UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayer(BuildPlayerOptions)
    6. ChangeTemplateBuild:ChangeTemplateOnBuild() (at Assets/Scripts/Editor/ChangeTemplateBuild.cs:20)
    this message was odd to me. Why I obtained a index out of range ? In the documentation you only mentionned a string. I was sceptical.

Then I debug the value you currently save in it and the result just blow my mind...
    When it's your template it's
    Code (CSharp):
    1. APPLICATION:UnityTemplateName
    and when it's user based template it's
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PROJECT:UserTemplateName
    So just please I have 3 requests :
    1. Could you update your documentation and change this "path" notion cause it's wrong. You can't call it a "path".
    2. Could you change your error message and just say syntax is incorrect instead of do all your process and fail. Maybe using a try catch or something like this could be a nice idea ?
    3. When it failed, Unity will select the first user custom template in the list which is quite odd too. When you have only one template, your user can think : Why does it fail because it selects the good one ?

Thanks.

2. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Just to be sure to be read by at least one unity dev on this point, sorry to ping you @Marco-Trivellato

I can create a bug report too if it seems to be a better process ?

3. SashaKC

SashaKC

I agree with what aurelien said.

Also @aurelien-morel-ubiant did you manage to get this to work? Could you show a code sample of how exactly did you manage to set a WebGL template through code?

4. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

@SashaKC I'll do it on monday morning when I'm back to the office ;)

5. SashaKC

SashaKC

Thank you for the reply.

I managed to get it to work. I wasn't aware that "PROJECT:UserTemplateName" is literally what is says, not the project path to the template.

In case anyone else gets confused:

Code (CSharp):
    1. PlayerSettings.WebGL.template = "PROJECT:UserTemplateName";

6. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Glad you finally find it !
    Yeah it's clearly not userfriendly or explained anywhere :/

I will post my code but if you find it it's nice :D

7. kalineh

kalineh

also running into this issue - selection manually from project settings gives the same failure
    case 1254077

unityunity