Search Unity

Resolved Players can stuck hands in obstacle to float in air

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by Megatank58, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Megatank58

Megatank58

Starting of this Issue.

2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I created a card for it

Just be aware that this is going to be a though one, since it involves the character controller and we don't want to introduce too many crazy hacks in there.

3. gabriellcarpes

gabriellcarpes

Hello all, my name is Gabriel Carpes. I'm a web developer from Brazil new to Unity and Game programming and development.

I chose to work on this bug because it's not a top priority issue and since I don't have much experience in the area I thought it would be a good way to start. I made some small research into the issue but still couldn't allocate too much time to work on it (I hope to make it up to it during the weekend).

I'll keep this thread updated as I move forward and I also welcome any tips. I work mostly with Javascript on my day to day work so C# and Unity are new things for me.

4. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

5. hemanthvanam

hemanthvanam

I think its better to fix this after we fix the climb issue bug as that fix will most probable change the character movement script if not later this will cause merge conflicts.

Also there are many PRs for that issue some of which involves (eg: PR) finding the slope angle at the point of contact for the player. We can use that slope angle to make the player fall down if it is below certain angle that will solve this issue.
    This is just a suggestion as I have already experienced with merge conflicts in github.

6. gabriellcarpes

gabriellcarpes

Hello, I thought he was working on the other reported bugs (There are two from what I see on CodePen). There's "Player gets stuck in mid-air" and "Player can climb steep surfaces"
    upload_2020-10-3_11-49-59.png

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  7. Megatank58

Megatank58

A lot of people are working on bugs see GitHub issues for all issues,feel free to work on this bug tho you might have a better solution! (and I'm a he)

8. Megatank58

Megatank58

I believe that's already fixed I've tested the game and the bug isn't there

luisquid and gabriellcarpes like this.
  9. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

Oh sorry, I misread your title as being related to this one. But yeah there's some other people also working on that through Github. Let me at least fix the thread so yours becomes it's own thread.

Edit: I can't seem to remove the redirect from the thread, I'll ask someone internally to help me with this

gabriellcarpes likes this.
  10. redeamed

redeamed

Couple of questions I'd have from the tracking perspective, and clarification on who is working tasks.
    1.There are 6 issues reported in the Git repo, will these be reflected in bug cards on the codecks? ( I imagine the pop up much quick in git hub than can reasonably be mapped to the codecks)
    2. This may be as a reminder for some but to confirm if the task is Blue, it should be assumed someone is assigned the task. and if you click the "issue" link it should be requested on the issue itself to take up the task correct?

I'm super interested in the management side of this. and I imagine you have your hands full working on keeping this all straight. Im spending more of today going over the project as a whole any may look into picking up a task after that.

11. Megatank58

Megatank58

12. lmbarns

lmbarns

Character Controller strikes again. Rigidbody driven controller would avoid these types of problems, you can even climb up the hill, add a collider and rigidbody, turn off character controller, and watch it slide down beautifully. Seems like "fixing" the character controller's flaws is a bit hacky in itself.

13. Megatank58

Megatank58

Our whole code right now is based of Character Controller so we can't just change that so quickly but if Unity staff finds it better we might have a change

14. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

I think first we should wait for the completion of final character (3d model of hamlet), because the character controller properties may have to change for the new character.

15. Megatank58

Megatank58

This bug is not happening anymore

MileyUnity likes this.
  16. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Thanks, I closed it!

Megatank58 likes this.