Search Unity

PlayerInputManager onPlayerJoined and PlayerInput onActionTriggered

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TheCellCH, Apr 11, 2020.

1. TheCellCH

TheCellCH

Hello everybody

I am trying to get into the details and implement the new input system in a prototype of mine. For this purpose I wanted to do a turn based game but some events don't really work or don't work the way expected. I hope somebody can explain to me how I am supposed to use them or if it is a bug.

Bug one is with the PlayerInputManager. I have read the docs (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...manual/Components.html#notification-behaviors) and I have a gameobject with a player input manager and a script of mine. If I listen to onPlayerJoined I do not get a callback (PlayerInputManager Notification Behaviour set to "Send Messages"). I have to switch the Notification Behaviour to Unity Events and manually reference my script methods for it to work. Is this a bug?

The Function PlayerManager_onPlayerJoined is never called. Even though the player spawning does work.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Start()
    2.     {
    3.         playerManager = PlayerInputManager.instance;
    4.         // not working
    5.         // playerManager.onPlayerJoined += PlayerManager_onPlayerJoined;
    6.     }
    When referencing it manually with unity events (like in the screenshot) it does get called.
    onplayerjoined_UnityEvents.PNG

The second thing that is bothering me is in the playerJoined function. I can't get a trigger when I subscribe to onActionTriggered. I have to breadcrumb through PlayerInput.currentActionMap.actions.performed to add a function callback. I either missunderstand the onActionTriggered or it is not working either.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void PlayerJoined(PlayerInput input)
    2.     {
    3.         // not working
    4.         // input.onActionTriggered += Input_onActionTriggered;
    6.         for (int i = 0; i < input.currentActionMap.actions.Count; i++)
    7.         {
    8.             if (input.currentActionMap.actions[i].name == "Fire")
    9.             {
    10.                 input.currentActionMap.actions[i].performed += SwitchRounds_performed;
    11.             }
    12.         }
    13.     }

2. alexxjaz

alexxjaz

In case that anyone needs to make it work. Change it to Invoke Csharp Events and it will get called.

ojaoweir and GuitarBro like this.