Search Unity

Question Player with HDRP 7.4.1 and Unity 2019.4 instantly crashes on most notebooks GPU

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by iamarugin, Feb 21, 2020.

1. iamarugin

iamarugin

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. iamarugin

iamarugin

3. iamarugin

iamarugin

4. FiveXGames

FiveXGames

It is supposed to work on: Windows with DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 and Shader Model 5.0:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.2/manual/index.html

The 940M is a graphic card with support for DirectX 11 and shader model 5.1
    http://techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-940m.c2643

But the error in the log could be that for some reason your computer is not running directx 11
    To check it, maybe this helps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ion-of-directx-by-using-the-directx-diagnosti

5. iamarugin

iamarugin

It would be great if Unity would not crash even if PC specs are not met. We need to provide the meaningful message to users about that.

FiveXGames likes this.
  6. faolad

faolad

There's tons of problems with the new post-processing, this feels more like a beta to me. Why even pushing it ?!

7. FiveXGames

FiveXGames

Yes I agree at least let the developer choose to show a meaningful message when the spec are not met!

8. iamarugin

iamarugin

Still interested in this. I am getting 20% refund rate of my game almost from all users with laptops. HDRP is stable as well as 2019.3. Laptops met minimal HDRP requirements. So what's wrong?

9. iamarugin

iamarugin

10. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, please submit a bug report on this so we can take a look at it internally !
    Thanks.

11. iamarugin

iamarugin

@chap-unity So what to attach as a reproducable project? Game keys? And it is only reproducable on a specific hardware from the logs. I'm afraid the report would be instantly closed by QA as not reproducable.

12. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Just specify that it repro only on this type of hardware, be specific.
    As for the project, just attach the most simple project that repro your issue with the correct HDRP version, even an empty scene/project could work.
    Thank you !

13. iamarugin

iamarugin

I understood, thanks. The problem is that I doesn't have this specific hardware to check and prepare reproducable project. All reports came from some users with laptops that bought the game and it instantly crashed on their machines. All I have are the logs. That's why I came to the forum to ask an advise and not opened the case directly. Does it make sense to open a bug in this case?

14. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

In this case, I'll take care of it ! Thanks :)

iamarugin likes this.
  15. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thank you very much.

16. iamarugin

iamarugin

17. iamarugin

iamarugin

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  18. iamarugin

iamarugin

19. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

The best course of action for this kind of crash is to "Report a bug" when you have the crash so we can take a look what's really causing this.
    Thank you !

20. iamarugin

iamarugin

Unfortunately I could not reproduce these crashes, because as I mentioned above, I have no such hardware. All these reports are from users, that bought the game and tried to launch it on their laptops.
    This can't be something specific to just my project, because the game instantly crashes on launch trying to allocate some buffers for HDRP. I am using latest stock HDRP without modifications and Unity LTS version. I am pretty sure, that empty HDRP project would also crash on such GPU. I just could not check it and report proper bug.

21. iamarugin

iamarugin

If you have such hardware at Unity and could not reproduce the bug with built empty HDRP project, I could send you game keys, if it helps.