Search Unity

Player persistence VS Reloading player every new level

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by mafoof, Aug 11, 2022.

1. mafoof

mafoof

Hello, I am making a new video game and so far I have the basic mechanics down and have been working on it for the past 2 months.

I am struggling of understanding game logic/design and how I should go about loading the player into the game.

The game has an RPG save/load system.

• I have a preload scene, that contains managers that are DDOL (save/load, dialogue, etc).

• When the game starts, I load a gameplay scene that holds the player, camera, and more managers (inventory, stats, etc).

• Along with the gameplay scene, I additively load the scene the player last left off on.
    My question here is:

• Should I reload the gameplay scene each time I load a level/scene, essentially making the gameplay scene have to reload the information from the preload scene every time (since info is not kept)?
    or....​

• Should I have the gameplay scene persist as long as the game is active (not in main menu) so I don't have to load the inventory and stats again, only disabling the control and player model when not active? This would mean I unload the recent level scene and load the new one.​

Which would be more efficient? Which method is used more commonly in games like Paper Mario/other platformers mixed with RPGs?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. mafoof

mafoof

Update:

I thought about it some more, and I decided to have my managers all completely moved to another scene, so they are still present even if the player is loaded on or off.

Feel free to correct me or offer a piece of advice, anything is welcome! :)