Search Unity

Question Player "loses energy"

Discussion in 'Physics' started by plooploo2, Dec 19, 2023.

1. plooploo2

plooploo2

I have a 2-player vertical platformer game. The 2 players compete to see who loses (i.e, falls into lava or touches spike) first. Problem is, the players can push each other, and both of them appear to "lose their energy" afterwards, meaning they lose the power to move in a specific direction (usually they can't jump anymore). I suspect the problem is from the rigidbody2d, but not sure.
    May be related to: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-keep-the-same-velocity-after-bumping-into-things.1040899/

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Impossible to give you a definitive answer from a brief description above. Just a lot of guess as to what might be happening such as PhysicsMaterial2D bounce, physics isn't 100% energy conserving etc.

3. plooploo2

plooploo2

it could be the physicsMaterial... although I have nothing assigned to it.
    Screenshot 2023-12-19 100502.png

A better description: Both players have rigidbodies and are controlled by the wasd and arrow keys, respectively. the code controls their movements by setting the rigidbody.velocity.

This is what's happening:
    Screenshot 2023-12-19 101507.png
    PS I'm a beginner so i apologize if i'm being naive

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

If you're directly setting the velocity of both then the velocity is entirely controlled by you so how can they "loose energy"?

I see you've now mentioned it cannot jump. Is this another problem?