Search Unity

player is getting blocked by small object

Discussion in 'Physics' started by steveh2112, Feb 6, 2020.

1. steveh2112

steveh2112

can someone tell me why my player cannot walk through this object?
    upload_2020-2-6_11-21-13.png
    as you can see , the blocking object has no drag or angle drag, is not kinematic, has a mass of one.
    the player has a mass of 50, and some drag
    upload_2020-2-6_11-22-26.png
    sometimes i can get the player to walk through but mostly its blocked.
    i think in this situation, the player should be able to walk right through pushing the lighter, low drag object out of the way. what am i missing?
    by the way, yes there are about 3 things blocking the way but they are all identical setup to the one shown.
    thanks

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

Might depend on various things. Can the player normally walk through small objects like that, and this object is an exception? Are those Bone objects possible connected to a kinematic rigidbody via a a joint? Does your movement script do some kind of raycasting to test for obstacles, and then just not try to move forward if there is one? How are you actually handling movement?

steveh2112 likes this.
  3. steveh2112

steveh2112

actually yes,the player does raycasting at the feet to look for obstacles to walk over. i got the character controller from a very complex character asset that does climbing and lots of stuff so i guess i need to dig into that, maybe not a simple physics problem like i was thinking.

thanks