Search Unity

Player.IO Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hjupter, May 2, 2012.

1. hjupter

hjupter

I'm currently using Player.IO which is an all in one service for my game Ninja PVP, there is not too much people using it with unity because its easier to make multiplayer games with other options but the other options only offers multiplayer service and Player.IO its much more than only a multiplayer service, so thats why I decided to create a framework for player.io and unity to make games faster.

This is still being developed just being busy with client work and my own game, here is a quick demo I made in a few hours couple months ago:

Play Demo

Since this kit requires Player.IO Unity won't accept this asset for now, if someone is interested I can sell it via paypal.

Current Features:

- Dead easy API - (Works similar to PhotonCloud / Unity Built-in network)
    - Network Views (Just add a view to an object and set what you want to observe - Transform, Rigidbody, Monobehaviour)
    - Low bandwidth usage
    - Optimized save bandwidth
    - RPC's yes Player.IO with RPC's :)
    - Real time player state synchronization
    - Player Accounts (Login/Register/Recover Password)
    - Statistics GUI (KiB/s, players online etc)
    - Leaderboard
    - Chat with private messages
    - Network instantiation
    - Easy to use Unity editor panel (see the picture below)
    - Keep track of the version of your game everytime you make a build
    - All GUI related stuff is build with NGUI so, NGUI its required
    - Demo scene showing all the features in action
    - Clean and well commented code in C#
    - All GUI related stuff is build with NGUI so, NGUI its required

Upcoming features (On Development):

- Skills, stats, player information etc.. is stored and loaded from database -> Big DB
    - Basic stats, damage calculation
    - Server side skill system
    - Shop system integrated with all providers here ->http://playerio.com/documentation/payvault/provider/
    - Free and Paid currency system
    - FLASH support! <- Currently working on this (for this will be a "special setup"/bridge as there is no multiplayer - support for flash inside unity yet)
    - Server side 24 day night cycle
    - Facebook / Kongregate Login
    - Server handled NPC's
    - Android/iOS support
    - Friend list system
    - Semi-authoritative server (hp, stats, daynight time, damage is handled only by the server)

I think this could be a good asset for the asset store, anyone interested?.. *Suggestions/Price/Feedback is welcome :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. imtrobin

imtrobin

Interested but I would prefer you keep the dependencies to a minimum so I can replace and improve on individual parts.

3. hjupter

hjupter

there is only one dependency which is NGUI and there is a free version, anyways integrate it with other GUI solution would be easy

4. Zhosay

Zhosay

Guess 25-50$ would be fine as its only a "port" to player.io.

5. hjupter

hjupter

Well I agree with the price, but I must say is not a port at all, it has been written on top of the Player.IO unity client dll, Player.IO already works with unity but doesn't come with all the features I mentioned above. :)

6. Zhosay

Zhosay

Yeah you can create a poll for the price but I guess its the price most people would be willing to pay including me.

7. hjupter

hjupter

I think I don't need a poll, I agree with you with the price, that's what I would pay too

8. Zhosay

Zhosay

Oh the second thing is you may not be allowed to sell it via asset store the Hack Slash framework is not allowed to sell because of his dependency on Ulink he has to sell it with his own shop. You may run into the same problem with Player.Io dependency you may should write an Email to Unity about this.

9. hjupter

hjupter

Yes I read about it, but I think its because Ulink is not free as they requires a license, Player.io its totally free until you decided to upgrade http://playerio.com/pricing/, same with NGUI, so I'm pretty sure there won't be a problem, anyways I will email them to ask about it.

I will release this if there is enough people interested.

10. imtrobin

imtrobin

When dependencies, I mean the code linking with each other, not third party dependencies. Something like Prime plugins, they show each inidividual component separately.

11. hjupter

hjupter

Then everything is fine as every component its separated :)

12. hjupter

hjupter

(bump) someone else interested?

13. liverolA

liverolA

is there a video or something to show the demo?

14. hjupter

hjupter

Here is an old video, it doesn't have all the current features
    ... I will post a new version soon :)

15. kheng

kheng

Looks interesting, I would buy it if there was a good example that comes with it.

16. hjupter

hjupter

There will be an scene example ;)

17. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

Cool...looks interesting

18. Mauri

Mauri

Looks really interesting. *bookmarks thread*

19. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Very interested :) When do you intend to put it up for sale?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  20. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

This sounds great! I had a few questions for you though as I'm already using PlayerIO in a new project and the PlayerIO integration is about 80% complete. That said, would your framework be helpful at this point or would using it require that I rewrite a lot of code?

Also, can you explain the bandwidth benefits? Do you mean that the bandwidth is lower using your framework than using the standard Playerio code?

As for the Facebook integration, would it work with iOS/Unity? I would like to add the playerio facebook simplelogin into my iOS unity game but I don't think their native system is setup for that.

Thanks!
    -JJ

21. mimminito

mimminito

Definitely interested! If you have already created this system, I dont see any reason for you to not release it to the Asset store! Integration with NGUI is a great addition for me too.

22. imtrobin

imtrobin

When is this coming?

23. hjupter

hjupter

Hey all, sorry if I posted this too early, I just wanted to see if there was enough people interested on this.

I've been busy working on this and my job the past few weeks, so this its still being in development, I'm adding some new features as also some of the ones on the list still need to be done..

I've planned to release this as soon as it well polished and complete, I don't want to release something that is not totally useful.

I will keep you posted, maybe upload a video in the next few weeks.

Thanks

24. theletter7

theletter7

Looks Cool :D

25. hesa2020

hesa2020

Im not sure to understand this come with all feature in the list ?
    What is this exactly ? a client/server Framework ?
    With alot of feature already made for mmorpg ?
    How much player your server can handle ?

btw i played your game , and i think you can Add it on facebook, will get alot of player and Player are going to Invite player to get item , etc... and you can sell thing for credits :p

26. hjupter

hjupter

Yes it comes with all the features in the list + more I've added already, these features are for both client and server.

I took player.io unity3d api and made easier to make games you can see player.io features here: http://playerio.com/features/

27. Dreamora

Dreamora

Player.IO is a room based server architecture with a max of 45 players in a room.
    As the different subscription tier are traffic bound, you will likely want to limit that number down to Guild Wars level

But if used properly player.io is a great solution thats dead simple to use. we use it in our current project cause it offered all we needed out of the box which saved us some weeks to get a investor presentable version going and the presence of BigDB on the client still saves headache at times :)

28. hjupter

hjupter

That is already done ;)

29. hjupter

hjupter

You can hack that by use rooms as zones you can connect to as many rooms as you want with a single player, also you can change that limit if your game is successful enough and you get the pro plan.

I must say is not dead simple that depends on the type of game and if you are going fully auth or not, the easier and simplest solution I've found its definitely photon cloud.

Is nice to hear there are other people doing game with player.io any link where I can see your game?

30. Dreamora

Dreamora

Don't see what this changes beside the objects in db limit and traffic.
    If you want to change the 45 player in room limit you still need to rent a dedicated server or do what some others did, create your own cloud of dev server instances

Photon is a nice solution too.
    I would normally have gone there but it offers 0% of what we need and 100% we don't need so it was unluckily no option.
    Player.IO is great for any kind of persistent single multiplayer game, especially social MMOs with little to a lot of realtime interaction.
    Photon on the other hand is absolutely focused on only the realtime interaction.

We will surely link it once we have more to say about it, for the time being you can follow us at http://www.facebook.com/imaginarygames

31. hjupter

hjupter

You can change the limit on the pro plan, you get a dedicated server automatically... that's if you have the money to pay for it, if not 45 limit its perfectly fine as I mentioned before there are ways to workaround it. Create your own cloud of dev server instances could be more expensive than just get the pro plan.

32. Dreamora

Dreamora

What I absolutely forgot: Great framework by the way :)
    Very nice features.

As for any who might use it and who upgraded Player.IO and now got troubles with JIT errors upon execution on mobile ensure to grab the latest Unity verison from their board at http://bit.ly/KDfbov

33. hjupter

hjupter

Nice thanks for it, downloading the update

34. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

is this project still a reality?

35. hjupter

hjupter

It is... anyone still interested on this?

I've updated the feature list on the first page.

I'm almost done with this and have planned to released within 1 or 2 weeks, so price feedback and feature request are welcome.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  36. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Still interested :)

37. imtrobin

imtrobin

38. hjupter

hjupter

There are ways to workaround that, as Player.IO guys answered there the client its unsecure and that could be with any game if the developer let everything be handled on the client.

In the case of my asset I'm handling PayVault transactions and User verification all on the server so there is no way that someone can hack that.

Also I'm not using Connect method even for guest accounts, so all accounts must have a user and password. And I use authentication for connections. http://playerio.com/documentation/connections

So you don't have to worry about it ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  39. liverolA

liverolA

Still interested ,can't wait to see

40. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Is this still being worked on?

41. Acolit

Acolit

Of course we are interested in this kit...where we can buy it?

42. hjupter

hjupter

Hi, this is still being developed just being busy with client work and my own game, here is a quick demo I made in a few hours couple months ago: http://ninjutsugames.com.playsian.com/

Since this kit requires Player.IO Unity won't accept this asset for now, if someone is interested I can sell it via paypal.

43. imtrobin

imtrobin

Looks good but since I don't have another player to play against, I like to ask. How much of this Player IO is completed? The physics I presume, is run on client, then who is authorative?

44. hjupter

hjupter

Since thats a quick demo its everything managed is managed by the master client ofc you can make it authoritative on the server side, if I get enough users I will make more examples and keep updating it

45. Acolit

Acolit

I'll buy it, it's great kit!

46. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I would buy it too. Do you selling your Ninja PvP as asset aswell? :D

47. hjupter

hjupter

Just made a few sales already :), if anyone else is interested just PM me!

48. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I'm interested but first... I was looking at Player.IO pricing. Is that PER server or PER account?

For example can I run 20 free server for one game? Each server being a room?

49. Acolit

Acolit

No, you can run 1 server, but it included 500 users FREE!
    and many rooms on it.
    as i know, you can run many games with one Server...
    or buy 2 or more accounts if you want.
    I just bought it, it's a great pack! Recomiendo!

50. hjupter

hjupter

Player.IO is room based on the free account you can have 500 concurrent users and you can have as rooms as you want untill you reach 500 users online by the moment you surpass that you can consider moving into $25/m account wich can handle 5000 CCU and you can use micro transactions http://playerio.com/features/payvault/ to make some money.

Player.IO recently reached 100 million users registered through all their games, they lot of successful (money wise) games.