Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Player inside cockpit or seperate model camera.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by unitychristy2, Nov 3, 2014.

1. unitychristy2

unitychristy2

I have a player who gets into a plane after running around, do I want a seperate model and camera for when INSIDE the cockpit or use the same main character. I am thinking in terms of colliders and possible problems.

cheers for any thoughts.

2. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Is the player running around in 3rd person or 1st person view?
    Will the player be able to drive vehicles in 3rd person view (looking at ex airplane from above, behind etc)?

Colliders and such stuff that cause problems is typically not a problem, you simply turn them off.

There is nothing wrong with using the existing camera and model, some games do that to save production time that could be spent on things that they consider more important. Others do that because they got a graphics style that isn't so detailed from the start and it makes no sense for them to model ex highly detailed arms.

Games that got realistic or detailed graphics tend to model separate arms and other body parts when the view change between 1st and 3rd person view. They do this because a 3rd person character typically do not need the same level of detail while the person get a much closer view of his arms etc when he steps into the car.
    These games tend to also ask themselves if they need a more detailed version of the interior of the vehicle. It looks odd if you give the character super realistic body parts but the textures or model for the interior got artifacts because they were intended for 3rd person view only.

Some games also take the third route, they intentionally skip the character altogether because they maybe want to show of how nice the vehicle is as an example. Others solve this by moving the camera so close to the vehicle window(s) that you wouldn't be able to see the character anyways.

Personally, I'd approach this problem by getting the players view as he enters the vehicle and finally inside the vehicle done first. I would then look for a smooth transition between these two states...