Search Unity

Player character visual experience pros and cons

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by n8parks, Mar 25, 2019.

1. n8parks

n8parks

Hello,

I am currently designing a incremental RPG (non-clicker) mobile game. My design calls for a team of up to 9 characters to fight against another team of up to 9 NPC's. Its intended to be a fast paced, level destroying game that eventual road blocks the team into all things incremental.

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions as to the pros and cons of the following 2 choices to show the combat taking place.

In both options below the characters and NPC handle their own combat.

In option one, think old "Final Fantasy" style games. Each character has its place on the battlefield. They move forward to the same spot every time its their turn, and have an attack animation that doesn't represent who they are attacking any way. I have also though about creating a space directly in front of each character that wold be a landing position for any character attacking them. My concern here is the battles will happen to slowly for an intriguing incremental.

In option two, both teams run at each other and when they meet another character or get in range they attack. Think 'Crush 'em All." Part of my issue here is my core game design calls for positioning to be important.

I would love to hear about any hurdles you may have had in the past, or just any thoughts or opinions on these two styles of team warfare. I would also be open to another style if you prefer an alternative.

Thanks,

Nathan

2. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

You wrote:
    I think option one is much easier to implement but it is absoluely NOT fast paced. None of the old Final Fantasy games feels fast paced (in my opinion). I like option one better but if you really want something fast paced you have actually no choice and rather do the second approach.

3. n8parks

n8parks

Thanks Gor-Sky

I kind of felt the same way and was leaning towards it as well. I was thinking of going the way of option two but perhaps with rank/lines and doing some logic to have the position matter based on the rank they are in and the rank they are attacking against.

I appreciate your thoughts.