Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Playables and controlling root motion/offset

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Tchjetil, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Tchjetil

Tchjetil

Hi

I've been trying to get the grips on animation in Unity, and I've toyed around with the legacy, animator and playables.

I want to use animation clips to move objects around the screen (let's call them "spaceships") in a 2.5d game, and also queue these animation in sequence to create movement patterns.

I've coded a simple script that creates animations at runtime, but I also want to use pre-made animation, and of course put them both types in the same queue.

I've been trying to enable root motion to offset the the pre-made animation, but when using the playable queue example (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Playables-Examples.html), the position teleports when starting playing the second clips. All the root motion check boxes are checked. It seems me that the start/root position is set for both clips when the playable is created, and doesn't properly take into account the current position when transitioning from the first to the second clip.

Is there a way to get Unity to recalculate the root motion or is there a better way to achieve what I'm after?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018