Search Unity

Playable Graph Evaluation Order

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by tree_fiddler_2000, Apr 9, 2019.

1. tree_fiddler_2000

tree_fiddler_2000

I have a Timeline which is executing a Playable Graph. Some of the playables on my custom clips in this Timeline's Playable Graph (call it A) indirectly end up controlling playables in a separate Playable Graph (call it B).

Right now, I have to buffer any changes which are triggered during ProcessFrame() for Graph A, such as requiring Play()ing graph B, until a LateUpdate(), otherwise I get crashes in the Editor. I assume these crashes are because Playable Graph's A &B are being executed simultaneously on worker threads during the Internal Animation Update, leading to badness.

Is there I can set up an order of executing for two Play Graphs? So that A will be executed before B, and I can modify B from A's Process Frame directly? Or is there another, better way to fix this?

Cheers,

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

There is no way to order execution of separate PlayableGraphs, and calling a separate graph to do something in a ProcessFrame() can be potentially dangerous. We have mechanisms in place to avoid cyclic-behaviour (e.g. graphA calling graphB calling graphA), but it seems like we missed a case.

All C# calls to the playable system, like ProcessFrame(), are done on the main thread, so the crash you are getting is a concern. I'd recommend filing a bug with a repro case if possible.

As for a better way, I think you are already on the right track. The graphs should queue behaviour to a monobehaviour LateUpdate(), where you can guarantee the order of operations as needed.

3. tree_fiddler_2000

tree_fiddler_2000

Thanks, I've filed a bug report via the crash reporter.

In my case, its not a cycle (Graph A triggers changes in Graph B, bot not vice versa). In the debugger, VS tells me the calls to Process Frame are made from a Worker Thread, but maybe that's misleading, and the main thread is labelled as a Worker Thread too.

It would be great to get some log errors if the programmer does something wrong, like modifying graph B from graph A.

seant_unity likes this.