Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Playable for a emissive pulsating material

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Huxii, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Huxii

Huxii

Hello,

I try to create a playable for an emissive material, which should pulsate. I tried do it via timeline. First it looked fine, the material was pulsating correctly. But when I wanted to adjust the color, and changed the albedo I realized, that it wasn't working - it still had the purple color as in the beginning. So the playable did not saved just the intensity, but the exact values for the purple albedo after the emission was applied: See picture.

That is not exactly what I wanted. And also, I have around 150 objects, where this pulsating material is assigned to. This means, that there are also 150 Anim Controller.

I find this a bit uneffective. I would like to have an playable just like an extension, which I could assign to every material (not gameObject), to achieve the same effect - doesn't matter what color.

Is it possible?

Thank you
    Huxi

Attached Files:

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Missing more context, it seems like timeline - or even animation - may not be the right solution. With 150 objects, maybe the pulsing should be part of a custom shader, especially if all the objects share they same material, and/or the pulsing can be controlled algorithmically.

Adding 150 Animator Controllers seems like a large cost to do this, especially if this is the only item being animated.

3. Huxii

Huxii

Exactly,150 controllers are overwhelming.I just wanted to create a playable cause I have seen some videos from unity conferences where the playable where more introduced and it seem like a cool solution. But maybe it isn't. I don't know what would be a good solution because this is the first try doing something like this. I also didn't touched shaders yet.

The effect I try is in gif below.

Attached Files:

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Well, as much as I want to promote playables and Timeline, I think a shader, vfxgraph or script might be better here - you could even use timeline to drive a script. There are other factors to consider should all 150 materials pulse in sync or individually?

Doing a quick search, there appears to be a lot of tutorials and examples for pulsating materials.

5. Huxii

Huxii

So, I decided that I will get into shaders :). It still would come sometime in future, so I will learn it a bit earlier. Thanks for help :)