Search Unity

Playable Directors are disabled?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by ehanceMuse, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ehanceMuse

ehanceMuse

Hi all,

I have a scene with multiple Timelines.

I was having some strange behavior in one and then several my Timelines (almost looked like Unity wasn't refreshing to Timeline I was on...) when I close and reload Unity now all my timelines (except the very first Timeline) have a caution triangle along the top of the timeline UIs that say "PlayableDirector is disabled".

What are the likely culprits/how do I work around this?

Eric Hance
    MuseVFX

2. ehanceMuse

ehanceMuse

We found a temporary workaround. If we change the PlayableDirector to 'none' and then enable/disable the game object the timeline is on, then choose the same PlayableDirector as before, now its no longer disabled and seems to work as expected.

Unexpected behavior, hopefully it helps someone with a similar issue.

-Eric

3. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

are these timelines linked together via a control track? How do they interact with each other normally?

4. ehanceMuse

ehanceMuse

Hi Mike, good question, they aren't linked together in any way. My typical usage is to have a list of timelines for recording animation. I was enabling/disabling each one by hand to allow recording of specific footage.

Does that help at all?

-Eric

5. ehanceMuse

ehanceMuse

To clarify, the only thing the timelines share are common FBX files that are meshes, which are dropped in as 'animation tracks' and then new 'animation clips' are added to that common mesh for each shot.

-Eric

6. ehanceMuse

ehanceMuse

I was able to recreate the behavior where my timelines get disabled just now by saving with a new scene name, is this an expected behavior?

-Eric

7. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Kind of a silly question, but are the directors actually disabled when you get that warning? Either the gameObject or a parent is inactive, or the playable director itself is disabled?

Is it possible the animation or an activation track is disabling it in some way?

8. Anthroventure

Anthroventure

I've just had this behaviour but from a different cause. It turned out I had accidentally added a second activation track for the object the playable director was attached to. The second activation track overwrote the behaviour of the first. I didn't pick up on it for a while because this particular timeline has more than 80 objects in it.