Search Unity

Play Mode Save

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by pluginmaster418, Aug 20, 2020.

1. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, thanks for reporting the bug. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

vincurekf likes this.
  2. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

3. justifun

justifun

I can't see to get the right click menu to come up. In play mode (in the game scene nothing happens) and in scene view i get right click view navigation instead. is there a setting i need to adjust in the editor or something? thx

edit: You need to click the component of the object you want to save unless you have "auto save all" options selected in the save play mode inspector

4. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

To display the context menu, simply right-click the component in the inspector.

5. rizorpolder

rizorpolder

Good idea and good start!
    Have some questions:
    1) Wht about saving across scenes? I have "Scene 1", whitch loading "Scene 2", and i need to save changes on "Scene 2". Saving on exiting playmode isnt works, Save now - same, but when exired from playmode - both of scenes are loaded (but components has no chanded) - is it will be fixed?
    2) How its will be works with prefabs? Nested prefabs? Asset will save "Scene", or apply changes on prefab?
    P.S. No, i cant use playmode on "Scene 2", coz basic logic initializing on Scene 1.

6. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, Have you enabled the auto-apply option?
    I have tried but here it works fine.
    Could you send me a mockup project where I can test the issue? my email is pluginmaster418@gmail.com

The tool does not apply overrides on prefabs.
    For prefabs created in edit mode. Changes made in play mode will be applied to the object in the same way as if you had made them by hand using the inspector in edit mode.
    For prefabs instantiated in Play mode, the tool will treat them as independent objects, disconnected from the original prefab.

If you want to modify and apply overrides to prefabs instances instantiated in play mode, you can change your instantiation code like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2.    UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(prefab);
    3. #else
    4.    Instantiate(prefab);
    5. #endif

7. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

Doesn't work for SerializeReference. Can you solve it?

8. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, Thanks for reporting the issue. I'll try to fix it. Could you send me a mockup project or package where I can test the issue? my email is pluginmaster418@gmail.com.

9. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

In my project it doesn't work, but I tried a minimal demo and it's ok. So, the problem might be in my project, let me test it a little more and let you know the result.

I've tested many times, but still can't find a specific problem. But it really doesn't work in my project and often crashes Unity.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  10. Holooooo

Holooooo

Great job!But it seems doesnt work in 20.3.30f1.I try to save Main Camera transform, but it turn back to old value after me exit play mode.

11. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, thanks for reporting the issue, I tried here and it works on unity 2020.3.30f1.
    Could you describe the sequence of steps you followed before the problem occurred?
    Or, could you record a video showing the issue?

12. Stonegolemstudio

Stonegolemstudio

Is there a new documentation anywhere?

13. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

14. pholz

pholz

Hi,

I just sent a mail but maybe some others have the same issue: When I save a script component, all object references are deleted. Also, it sometimes just doesn't work at all. 2022.2b6. It may have to do with the fact that I am dynamically unloading and loading scenes after startup...?

15. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi. Thank you for reporting the issue. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

16. Game_Taco

Game_Taco

Hey @pluginmaster418 I’m considering picking this up, but I’m wondering about the limitation in the documentation. Is this limited by the Unity serialization utility, or is it able to work with something more advanced? I often use Odin’s serializer or the Json.net serializer because they support generics and more complicated types, and they're both free.

17. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, Play Mode Save uses Unity's serialization system, so there is no support for generics or more complicated types.

18. tomkail_betterup

tomkail_betterup

Just bought this plugin - it seems to work great and it's a bargain for the price (try implementing this yourself, it ain't simple!), but I'd assumed it would restore gameobjects, not just component values.
    For those who need this functionality, I wrote a plugin while at Inkle that's free to use. It's a bit scrappy but works in simple cases. Surprised to find that Unity still haven't solved this officially all these years later :(
    https://github.com/inkle/Unity-Save-Play-Mode-Changes

19. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi. You can save objects created in play mode by selecting the object and then in the PMS window selecting "Save all components now" or "Save all components when exiting play mode". Another way to restore new objects created in play mode is to create a parent for the new objects and then add it to the save list by selecting "Always save all components when exiting play mode" in the PMS window.

20. FredTuna

FredTuna

Hi @pluginmaster418 , I just purchased and installed PMS but realized it might not work for my use case. Our scene is pretty bare to start with and we instantiate most of the world's objects at runtime by instantiating prefabs. Unfortunately, PMS doesn't seem to work when modifying values on objects from instantiated prefabs? Is this correct? If so, is it something that could be added as a feature in the future?

What I'd love is for PMS to detect that when I modify a property on a component that is part of an object of an instantiated prefab, it recognizes which prefab it is an instance of and apply the changes to that prefab.

21. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, PMS doesn't apply overrides on prefabs.
    If you want to modify and apply overrides to prefabs instances instantiated in play mode, you can change your instantiation code like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2.    UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(prefab);
    3. #else
    4.    Instantiate(prefab);
    5. #endif

22. WayneJP

WayneJP

Got a problem. I have scene A and scene B, I save changes on scene B, then move player to transition to scene A.
    If I back to scene B, the changes on scene B are discarded.
    If I exit the play mode, changes in scene B don't save, and if I click Apply All Changes, the gameObjects I changed in scene B are all dissapear !

23. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, thanks for reporting the issue. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

24. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Fixed in version 3.7.5. Now available to download.

25. WayneJP

WayneJP

It works fine, though transition through scenes will revert all changes, but the plugin save and apply changes correctly after exiting the play mode.
    Not sure if that's a issue. It's up to you :)

26. jderricorbc

jderricorbc

Hello, I am currently getting a compile error when trying to enter play mode after installing this. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? Thank you.

Assets\PluginMaster\PlayModeSave\Editor\Scripts\PlayModeSave.cs(936,47): error CS1061: 'Cinemachine3rdPersonFollow' does not contain a definition for 'DampingIntoCollision' and no accessible extension method 'DampingIntoCollision' accepting a first argument of type 'Cinemachine3rdPersonFollow' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

27. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi, thanks for reporting the issue. What version of Unity are you using?
    A quick fix is to delete all lines containing 'DampingIntoCollision' and 'DampingFromCollision'.
    I'll include the fix in the next version.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  28. Hiti3

Hiti3

Hey, I noticed the script while searching for an asset. Can this tool save the entire scene (a city - objects with meshes and a texture on it) into an object or a prefab that can then be loaded in any scene in editor?

I was looking into FBX exporter to save the whole scene with all the gameObjects, because the scene is procedurally generated and I wish to save this procedurally generated scene to later load and edit it manually in editor. Can it do that and what would the simplest way to go about doing this?

29. cihadturhan_unity

cihadturhan_unity

Just a heads up.
    This is not an error but just a warning from unity 2022.3.2f1. I guess some APIs changed in this unity version.
    upload_2023-7-19_1-34-36.png

30. pluginmaster418

pluginmaster418

Hi. Thanks for reporting the issue.

cihadturhan_unity likes this.
  31. cihadturhan_unity

cihadturhan_unity

@pluginmaster418 This asset stopped working.
    It somehow adds `null` value to `_scenesToOpen` array and it fails to save on exit.

upload_2023-10-8_17-13-30.png

32. cihadturhan_unity

cihadturhan_unity

On top of this, where can I see the list of all the items being saved. Is there an UI for that?

33. BradleyHean1

BradleyHean1

HI, a quick question. If I load a scene from an asset bundle (at runtime obviously), will I be able to keep all the gameobjects created after exiting play mode?

34. smallville7123

smallville7123

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  35. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

I really miss this plugin https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...py-n-paste-multiple-components-50686#releases ...wondering if your one could add some of those features like the other window that shows copied components.. it was way more useful to make a copy of a component during play with changes, and then out of playmode go through and copy the values i wanted permanently keeping....

not sure if your one can do that where you can save individual fields to be saved after playmode?

either way the above plugin had benefit of just more ui to look over changed values and decide... could you improve this one to have similar features as seem pretty closely related.. other author abandon gone can't seem to find anything simimlar