Search Unity

Play mode not working

Discussion in 'VR' started by AnKOu, Feb 8, 2018.

1. AnKOu

AnKOu

hello, I'm trying to test windows reality mixed. I click on Play Mode and the app starts in Unity but in my headset I stay in the home/hub of the mixed reality portal.

Settings :
    • Unity 2017.3.0f3 personal edition, tried with 2017.2.1p3, not working either.
    • Windows Universal App platform
    • holokit sdk

Have you any idea why it isn't working ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    jimmyfunny likes this.
  2. AnKOu

AnKOu

Works in 2017.2.1p3 in fact.
    Wasn't working at first. I launched a scene from HoloToolKit example and it worked. then I tried with my scene and it worked.
    My collegue is in 2017.3.0f3 (like me) and it works (not like me)

3. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

I had a similar problem that took me weeks to figure out what was wrong, turned out I was running Unity as an administrator. If you do that it blocks the HMD.

High five on the Jackie Chan, had a good laugh on that one

Let me know if that is your issue. If not, tell me what windows version you're running. To find out hit your Windows key, and type "winver", then press enter. This will give you full release information on your Windows version.

4. AnKOu

AnKOu

Hello, I was running Unity in administrator indeed.

I unchecked the option and now it works, thanks !

5. TranSystems

TranSystems

Hi. Unfortunately that did not seem to work for me. I shut down the admin rights on my machine, and the Mixed Reality Portal Cliff House scene is still all I see when trying to go into Play Mode from the Unity editor. I am using Unity 2017.3.0f3 with Windows 10, Version 1709 Build 16299.248

Any thoughts?

6. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Admin rights on the machine is different than running the Unity executable as an administrator. Right click the Unity.exe and go to Compatibility and disable "Run as administrator".

7. edwon

edwon

I'm having the same issue, can't see my game when I hit play in the Unity editor, just stays in windows home/mixed reality portal. I'm using Unity 2018.1.0f2, Windows version 1709, a Razer Blade laptop from 2017 with an Nvidia 1060 gpu (this setup works fine for Oculus and Vive).

I tried disabling "run as administrator" on the unity.exe but that didn't fix it.

8. edwon

edwon

9. Hanne_Huygelier

Hanne_Huygelier

Hi! I just updated my Unity version and now I am experiencing a similar issue with Oculus Rift and in Unity 2018.3.1.f1. When I start Play mode the game plays in Unity3D, but I am stuck in the home menu of Oculus in the headset. I tried running Unity as admin and not as admin, but this didn't have an effect on the issue. I also checked, but VR is still enabled and I'm still allowed to run non-verified applications by Oculus. Anyone with an idea what I could do to fix this?

kittphi likes this.
  10. docas

docas

Same issue as Hanne.. my app does not launch as a VR app

11. BigBoiiiEswin

BigBoiiiEswin

Same issue, UnityEditor is not run as administrator. Game starts playing, head is tracked as well as controls but the video in the oculus is stuck in the oculus menu.

12. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

We have had a common thing where users going into 18.3 often do not have the Windows Mixed Reality package installed. This often happens when you upgrade a project into 18.3. Can you make sure you're packages are installed? To get the package, go to Window > Package Manager, then find Windows Mixed Reality.

kittphi likes this.
  13. cyenketswamy

cyenketswamy

Set Holographic emulation setting to None.

JasonCostanza likes this.
  14. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Also what @cyenketswamy said, if you have the package installed. I should have included that part. Emulation tab is under Window > XR > Holographic Emulation. Good catch cyenketswamy, thank you!

15. ClaudiaKrog

ClaudiaKrog

I have the same issue. Unity project runs fine in the editor, and the Oculus rift headset works fine with other Steam games and for room set-up. After a steam update, when I hit play in Unity, the game is stuck on the loading screen in the headset. Only sometimes it will load, other times it will stay in the Oculus home screen, while the Unity game plays on its own. I tried admin and non-admin, computer restarts, and setting up the Oculus again with no luck

TimeWalk-org likes this.
  16. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

Hi, I'm currently having the same issue.
    I opened another post but it might get picked up faster here.
    (https://forum.unity.com/threads/win...tart-the-game-and-keeps-me-in-the-hub.955434/)

I'm using unity 2019.4.0f1 (LTS) and the XR development kit.

We are developing a VR game for Oculus and WMR.
    When I build the game, the oculus works fine. But once I open the build one on a HP Reverb (WMR), I remain in the WMR hub/portal. I can hear the game and on the monitor I can see the game but in the HMD you stay in the headset.

I tried the answers on this thread but it didn't fix the issue.
    Any guesses?

17. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Do you have a bug submitted that documents this? I'm curious if your Initialize On Startup settings are enabled for UWP platform. In the XR Management settings you should have a tab for Oculus and another for UWP, ensure both have "Initialize On Start" enabled. From your description it sounds like it's not attempting to start up XR and just running it as a UWP application on your system. If that's enabled, file a new bug for us and we can investigate using a minimum repro project if you can supply one

18. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

Thanks for your answer! I don't think I had it enabled in the UWP platform. I'll try that and get back to you.

I am building on the PC, mac and linux standalone build, WMR and oculus are enabled, initialize on XR as well. but on the UWP it is disabled, I'm not sure if this matters since I'm building on the PC, mac and linux standalone platform?

19. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Oh if you're building PC/Mac/Linux for WMR then no you would not need to change the UWP setting. Basically just ensure the Initialize on Start is enabled for all platforms you're building for. Sorry I assumed you were working with UWP, I sometimes forget you can do both with WMR :D

20. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

Yeah it is enabled but the game won't start for WMR, still not sure what causes this problem but I've downloaded openVR for the new XR plugin and that makes it work for oculus and wmr

21. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Could you file a new bug report for me and send me the number? Make sure your project is configured in exactly the way that reproduces for you. And also be sure to not include any sensitive (NDA) content in there as well.

22. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

Yeah, I'll try to submit a bug report but our project is around 90 gb so it'll take a while i guess. I'll let you know!

23. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

If you can reproduce the bug in an empty, or near empty project you can submit that. In fact it's preferable if you can do that since your project is so large and complex

24. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

After some testing we've come to the conclussion that it's not Unity related, you guys did a great job

It seems that starting the game from a third party doesn't start the game in the hmd. We wrote a custom program that starts our game from the server and launches it on the clients automatically (we're a LBE VR company). But Windows apparently doesn't allow that. If we go on the client and start it manually, it works fine.

JasonCostanza likes this.
  25. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Interesting! Well let us know if there's anything we can do in the future to help. You could potentially report that launching issue to Microsoft to unblock your use-case.

26. oliVRqin

oliVRqin

Was just agonizing over a similar problem, and I'm using Unity 2020.1.9f1 on a Mac; this solution might not work for you cause of different circumstances but it worked for me. My solution was to go to Edit -> Project Settings -> Player -> Under Other Settings, change the minimum API from whatever the default is to 'Marshmallow' Level 23. That's it, worked like a dream. Good luck!

27. ovidiuvbojor

ovidiuvbojor

Just go to Player Settings/XR Settings and uncheck and check back Virtual Reality Support

knguyen-mimbus likes this.
  28. JohnArtanis

JohnArtanis

how to uncheck administrator? or check whether my unity in administrator mood?

29. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

If you right click on the unity.exe and go to properties, then go to the compatibility tab there is a toggle for Run As Administrator