Search Unity

Bug Play button can overlap Grid Snap button

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JasonC_, May 27, 2021.

1. JasonC_

JasonC_

Platform:

Unity 2020.9.3f1, Windows 64-bit
    Display resolution 3840 x 2160, system scaling at 250%, editor using default system scaling

Issue:

The Play button can overlap the Grid Snap button in the editor if the window is resized to be too small horizontally:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (7).gif

See also:

Additionally, when this happens, the portion of the Play button that overlaps the Grid Snap button becomes unclickable (demonstrated in linked video) -- the Grid Snap button received the click instead.

Expected Behavior:

Expected behavior is one of the following:

- The transport buttons stop before they overlap the left-side buttons, or
    - The editor window's minimum width is set to a larger value that prevents this from happening.

My personal preference is the former, as I prefer not to increase minimum size limits.

2. JasonC_

JasonC_

TIL these forums support YouTube embeds. Neat.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Good news! It's even in 2021.1.0... yaay!

And it's got even more overlap with part of the "GLOBAL" button, and all the buttons to the left of it judder around as you resize.

JasonC_ likes this.
  4. JasonC_

JasonC_

HauntingDirtyDragon-size_restricted.gif

Also: @Kurt-Dekker Man, I watched your video. Have you tried resizing it harder? It could work. Those buttons are gonna be sore tomorrow, though. :D

Joe-Censored and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

"KURT... SMASH!!!" You should see me when I'm debugging... brutal!!

I just want to know how reasonable UI metric anchor calculations happen such that moving the RIGHT edge of an outer rect causes inner rects anchored to the LEFT side to transiently wobble laterally.

HOW!??! SHOW ME YOUR CODE!

The only legitimate explanation I can come up with is that the slightly-crushed version is actually the operating system taking the existing screen surface as a bitmap and mindlessly smooshing it laterally, which is visible for a moment before the WM_PAINT (or whatever it's called on Mac) triggers.

6. They solved it in 2021.2... no more toolbar next to the play button so no more overlap! :D

screenshot1.png

JasonC_ likes this.