Search Unity

Play animations from other programs?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Denisowator, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

I made an animation in Blender, and I don't know how to make it play in Unity.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. aer0ace

aer0ace

First, is the .blend or FBX file in the Assets folder.

3. Denisowator

Denisowator

At first I had them both, but I saw that the .blend file had the camera following the animated object so I moved it (The FBX file is in the assets folder).

4. aer0ace

aer0ace

When you drag the FBX asset into the Hierarchy, it must have an Animator component on it, and then, the Animator component must have a animation Controller assigned in the Motion slot. The controller is another asset in your Project folder. Create one, and then add a new state by dragging the animation clip in the FBX into the Animation window.

5. AaronC

AaronC

Denis, please don't forget you have an outstanding invoice to pay.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. Denisowator

Denisowator

OK, I did everything you said. Do I have to do anything else, or can I now activate the animation using scripts?

7. aer0ace

aer0ace

That should work. What does it do?

8. Denisowator

Denisowator

It's a spawning animation that makes the character grow from nothing as it floats up and rotates, before floating back down and giving control to the player.

9. aer0ace

aer0ace

I should have phrased that better. When you press play, what happens?

Also, is that animation related to @AaronC? You should probably pay his invoice.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. Denisowator

Denisowator

The animation I'm talking about is my own version of what I've asked AaronC for, since I couldn't get his animation to work as I wanted it to.

Also when I press play, the animation works fine. Would I use scripts to make it play only at a certain point? Since whenever I hit play it activates and that's it, it just stands there.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  11. aer0ace

aer0ace

Yeah. So, in order to control it from script, you'd probably need to add another state for idle/inactive, and then assign the appropriate transition lines. Then, when you click on the transition line, you will see that you can add a parameter. You'd add a trigger param, and in script, you'd call Animator.SetTrigger() to switch states.

12. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thank you. :)

13. Denisowator

Denisowator

I've never used the animator before, could you possibly show me what it should look like?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  14. aer0ace

aer0ace

Watch this whole video:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-roguelike/player-animator?playlist=17150

Moving forward, doing google searches and reading around, you can probably get some good results for most of your questions. It's the most valuable skill a game developer must acquire to finish a project.

You got a pass for this one, because the Unity documentation actually doesn't tell you how to add transitions, only states. Shame on them.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thank you. :D

16. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thank you for the advice. :D

17. AaronC

AaronC

The solution provided was the solution requested - and was done on the cheap as a favor, and was modified even after delivery for you because you changed your requirements. If you request a solution and that solution is delivered, you pay. Its called business.

If you're going to be a dodgy client around here - expect to be treated like one.

18. AaronC

AaronC

Invoice unpaid and cancelled..

A warning to others..

Denis Pawszok /dawit444@wp.pl