Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Platformer PRO - Ledge Climbing, 360 Loops, Ropes, and Much More ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnnyA, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks might push it out soon. There's more I want to add but a lot of good stuff to get out there.

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

New feature Persistable Objects:

Need to stop writing features and release 1.1.4 soon, its getting fat!

PS It takes a while to get to the point :)

3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Okay this week is all about doco, release on the weekend.

4. Gus3D

Gus3D

Good stuff!

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.1.4 submitted

abatcat likes this.
  6. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

The persistable component is really nice. Will be very helpful for me.

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Great, whens your demo coming ... :)

8. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

My plan is to have a first trailer ready mid June! Well actually it was end of May but well not everything works as planed.

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.1.4 available

10. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Nice! So I will reintegrate it tomorrow morning.

11. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

I would like to create a new special movement. The goal is to jump to a ballon and then hang on the ballon and control it while asscending. The ballon should have a certain direction which does not need to be only up, but could also be somewhat sidewise.

Right now, I have the rope component and a moving plattform but that can not be controlled by the character. So I guess I need a special movement for that that gets triggered when the character is attached to the ballon. And it should gets ended when using the jump button.

My plan is to investigate the following scripts:
    -Special_Movements
    - Air_Movement (Falling portion asscending is like inverted falling)
    - Rope component

I will go trough your air dash tutorial and hope to be able to work something out.

Do you have an idea how to set that one up?

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hey mate, I answered this one in the platformer pro forums.

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Whats next - v1.1.5 and on

1. Create a public git repo for sharing in progress stuff.

I've got a lot of stuff thats quite usable but not "kit ready" and this is a way to get it out there.

You can fork this and share your own code too. I'll review merge requests and push.

2. Boss Enemy System

I've been slowly progressing this, too slowly I guess. It is going to be awesome but its still a while away. Hopefully at least some screenshots soon, and maybe a video after that.

This will become the main thing I work on from now until its done.

3. Some new movements

Block still needs to be tidied up, I'm adding a more nimble wall movement for climbing up walls and stuff.

4. More video tutorials

Maybe not of interest to most here, but I've had a few requests for more beginner video tutorials lately.

Bhanshee00 and abatcat like this.
  14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Added a new wall movement that allows climbing upwards as well as sticking and sliding.

15. abatcat

abatcat

It could be great if you could change the behaviour depending on what the wall is made of
    Like if the wall was very slippery the character would just slide down and if it was something climable the character would climb instead.

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Funny that you mention it. That was going to be my next written tutorial.

abatcat likes this.
  17. abatcat

abatcat

That's awesome \o\ There isn't many platformers out there that support that kind of movement.

18. zeb33

zeb33

Does anyone have any tutorials/pointers on integrating PP with Spine ?
    Is anyone using PP with Spine from esoteric software?

19. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Lots of people are. I personally prefer using Spine via Mecanim, but I also have an animation bridge specifically for calling spine direct if you want to do it that way.

Here's a quick pick of my mecanim settings for use with spine which might help you get started:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60620789/Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 10.32.37 am.png

(Some things are covered in green as its a commercial project)

There's also some discussion platformer pro forums.

If you want to try the animation bridge drop me a support request including asset store order number. If you are a LE user ask very nicely ;)

zeb33 likes this.
  20. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

I am using Spine with PPro as well, but also the mecanim way. It works just perfect. Haven't tested the spine bridge.

zeb33 likes this.
  21. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

So, do you think the new boss system will be in the next update? Or when aprox. do you think this will be ready?

22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Its hard to say, its a lot of work. I'm still changing structural things.

Definitely not next update. 1.1.5 will be out in 2-3 weeks and has some additional movements (block, wall movements with climb/run) and the updates to AdditionalCondition so they can be applied to all movements (which amongst other things makes complex power-ups a lot easier to do now).

Other potential stuff in this update is some updates to cameras (to support things like looking away from a wall by holding right or left).

23. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Thanks for the reply. I am holding back on introducing new enemies right now, since I hope to understand the new system better. Thats why I am looking forward to it. Update 1.1.5 sound great non the less.
    But what do you mean by looking away from a wall by holding left or right? Addidional Camara movements without moving the character?

Oh btw. I have decided against making a trailer right now. And altough I would love to share my work with the outside world. I feel that it needs more polish and more interessting stuff before I can show it. The first impression is quite important.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yes. Think Mark of the Ninja.

25. TinyRing-Hu

TinyRing-Hu

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Cool you should post a link to your game here too :)

27. TinyRing-Hu

TinyRing-Hu

Here is the game-play video of my little game.
    The game is running on iPhone6 @ 60FPS;

Because the PlatformerPro's Core is very elegance & clever, even spawning many Enemies/Bullets/GameObjects, It still doesn't use a lot resource of CPU, The result that the performance is truly good;

So It's left me a lot resource of CPU&GPU can do more things, in my game, i also used the customized XBR@2x shader, CRT-Scanline shader, Gyro-Tilt-Motion, A*Pathfinding, and ShurikenParticles .. it still running @60FPS.:)

;) thnaks JohnnyA

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    GamerPET likes this.
  28. NavarroFamily

NavarroFamily

Hey, I'd like to see some tutorials on level select (like the Alien Sample), and more menu/UI tutorials in general.
    I've been trying to "reverse engineer" the Alien Level Select, to see how it works, and have been running into a few road blocks and questions.
    Such as:
    Why do levels 1.2, 1.4, and 1.5, all have separate gameobjects for their locks?
    How do levels 1.3, and 1.1, know what lock belongs to them with "Lock Sprite" set as NONE.

And how to reset the locks quickly? When i Beat a level the lock disappears and I can move on, and it saves that information, so when i come back to the level select screen at anytime, my progress is saved, and that's great!
    But simply for testing purposes I'd like to know how to reset the locks and "Start All Over", (as the player, sort of like a New Game)

29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hey @SebastianNavarro ,

the level select stuff is not detailed out with video tutorials, etc, as its just not something that many people use.That doesn't mean such things wont come, its just got to be balanced with the things many people are asking for.

For testing you can reset a lock by right clicking the Level Lock Name which will show an option to lock or unlock (do it in play mode):

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 1.34.38 PM.png

The level lock name is used to lock the thing you can't walk on. So its Road 2 which has 'Level-1.1-Complete' set as the Lock Name, its also this road piece which controls the lock sprite for level 1.1.

1.2, 1.4, and 1.5 don't have matching roads as they are at the 'end of the line', so I added extra objects to show the locks.

I agree not an intuitive way to set it up, I'll update it so ALL the lock sprites are separate.

So in summary:

Level Load Scene Name is set when you want a tile which can load a scene.

Level Lock Name is set when you want something to block so a user can't walk on it based on a level being passed or not. There can be more than one of these for any given level lock name, for example road 4and road 5 are both blocked based on the value of the Level-1.3-Complete lock.

Lock Sprite - If Level Lock Name is set you can also optionally set a sprite which will be turned on/off based on the lock status.

30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

PS I do have a video I recorded of how to use the UI menu system, so that one shouldn't be too far away.

31. NavarroFamily

NavarroFamily

Awesome! Thanks again for all your support! That was an extremely helpful response, and I'm looking forward to the UI video!

32. GAMEDEVBROS

GAMEDEVBROS

Hey JohnnyA! I really want to add mobile controls to my game for android but i don't even know where to start. I've tried looking for videos and documentation but i just keep finding only vague explanations of the process. Could you please explain it to me because i really need to figure this out?:eek::confused:

33. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Built in ones or from a third party?

For the built in ones its simplest to use the prefab called: "Prefab_MultiPlatformInput" which includes a touch input that turns itself on if mobile is detected. For in editor testing you can find the child game object called "InputEnabler" and tick the box "Force Match" in the first condition (which matches Android).

For third party support it depends on the package being used.

34. GAMEDEVBROS

GAMEDEVBROS

Okay, so I'd just drag this prefab onto the scene?

35. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@GAMEDEVBROS yes (you may need to remove your existing input).

36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Got a couple of recent requests about this, so I'll aim to prioritise a quick start video on setting up inputs, particualrly mobile inputs.

37. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Loving this early game footage ...

... powered by Platformer PRO.​

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    magique, abatcat and Bhanshee00 like this.
  38. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

And while we are at it, more awesomeness available on steam ...

abatcat and Bhanshee00 like this.
  39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Keeping the flow going on iOS and Android ...

40. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Really nice stuff! PPro just is a really good base for such games! QED!

41. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

I have a general question wich is not directly related to platformer pro, but since it is directly related to 2d Platformers I still going to ask here and hope that there are some pros to help me out.

I have quite big level in horizontal and vertical scale. I am working with parallax backgrounds on different layers. Now the problem is how to set the parallax layers up? If the part I wan to populate with background elements is farther away from the starting point it is almost impossible to put them into the right place because they get moved directly after the start due to the movement of the player.

Does anyone has a good idea how to approach stuff like that?

42. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

There's a lot of big stuff going on, but figured I best do a small update in the meantime. Here's current release otes for v1.1.5:

* Updated CharacterLoader to better support selectable characters and multi-player.

* Added MenuItems to support selectable number of players, and selectable characters.

* Added a Projectile Aimer which aims directly at a target.

* Additional Conditions can now be applied to all movements.

* Additional Conditions can now respond to 'success' or 'activation' (for example consume items or health if all conditions are met).

* Simplified the creation of power-ups which affect available movements (using new PowerUpConditions).

* Cleaned up some Character methods to simplify development of highly custom movements. UPGRADE NOTE: This may affect your custom movement that rely on checking or applying collisions manually.

* Added two new wall movements: wall run and wall climb.

* Fix: Waypoint mover one-off re-enable no longer causes errors.

* Fix: Damage Movement inspector no longer has mismatched descriptions in Unity 5.

43. superwendel

superwendel

Some nice additions in there that I wasn't expecting to see. Again, beating me to features that I thought I'd have to flesh out myself. Looking forward to it John.

44. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Should be submitted this weekend. Still a few small things I want to clean-up.

45. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Nice work! Looking forward to the update!

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

1.1.5 submitted.

Final release notes:

* Updated CharacterLoader to better support selectable characters and multi-player.

* Added MenuItems to support selectable number of players, and selectable characters.

* Added event responses for HEAL, DAMAGE and KILL.

* Changed EventResponder Inspector to use human readable names with multiple levels of menu instead of being a large list of enum values.

* Added a Projectile Aimer which aims directly at a target.

* Additional Conditions can now be applied to all movements.

* Additional Conditions can now respond to 'success' or 'activation' (for example consume items or health if all conditions are met).

* Simplified the creation of power-ups which affect available movements (using new PowerUpConditions).

* Added a RailPlatform which locks player to a 'rail' with many options to control how the player moves on rail (e.g. create a mining cart).

* Cleaned up some Character methods to simplify development of highly custom movements. UPGRADE NOTE: This may affect your custom movement that rely on checking or applying collisions manually.

* Added two new wall movements: wall run and wall climb.

* Fix: Waypoint mover one-off re-enable no longer causes errors.

* Fix: Damage Movement inspector no longer has mismatched descriptions in Unity 5.

* Fix: Damage Movement Animation with Bobble wont freeze on passthrough platforms.

I like being able to find event response types more easily:

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 6.15.26 PM.png

JeffSLG likes this.
  47. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Great, hope you add more feature in the next version.

48. superwendel

superwendel

The EventResponder Inspector looks great John, a very nice touch as you've made more and more events become available.

49. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

New swim:

Nateply, gurayg and JeffSLG like this.
  50. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hmm what else to do in 1.1.6...