Search Unity

Platformer PRO - Ledge Climbing, 360 Loops, Ropes, and Much More ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnnyA, Aug 27, 2015.

1. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Damn, i should have seen this; i didn't think that invulnerable was linked to damage.
    I'm having issues with the enemy knock back; is there anything special to do ?
    I've also tried with the PatrolEnemy, no visible knock back.

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You cant have multiple damages movements. The damage movement is the thing that controls what happens when you are damaged, if you have two its not clear which would be controlling the damaged enemy (in this case it will get whichever is returned first by GetComponent()).

3. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Nice looking forward to the next version! Still very, very happy with my purchase of Platformer Pro!!!

4. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Ok, i've removed the Bobble; but no knock back. I've tried to remove RB2D put kinematic, not kinematic. Nothing.
    Ended up adding a 'Add Velocity' event but when i hit the enemy real hard it ignores all the collisions and goes thru walls, etc ...

What's wrong here ? can you make a quick video please ?

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Please send a test case to support email address ( support AT jnamobile.com ). Nothing looks obviously wrong, but its a hundred times easier to work it out with a sample.

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

1.1.2 is approved and available on the store.

7. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Great.

I am downloading.

Cheers,

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi PeteLaChatte I haven't seen a support request? Did you work it out?

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Fixed a little bug today that was causing no rotating slope behaviour to be bumpy while walking downwards under some circumstances.

Will be rolled out in 1.1.3 but ping me if you need it earlier.

- John A

10. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Nice Update! Thanks.

11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Mostly fixes and cleanup so far in the next version:

v1.1.3

* Added a CharacterHitBox with "multi hit" so you can have (for example) melee attacks that hit multiple enemies in one frame.

* Fixes for PowerBomb attack.

* Added an option to ledge climb to support a dismount offset, which helps with certain kinds of sprite based animations.

* Fix: Made HasItem work for stackable items.

* Fix: Made downards non-rotating slop emovement bobble free (previoulsy under certain conditions there was a percepitble bounce).

Charlie_T likes this.
  12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

We also have some new voting threads to help the right features get implemented. Head over to the official Platformer PRO forums to vote.

13. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Wow, very nice package Johnny.

Can't wait until it release.

Please send me via email.

Thanks

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Updated 1.1.3 notes (still more to add):

* Added a waypoiny platform that moves from point to point (with loop, ping-pong, one off and random options).

* Added a CharacterHitBox with "multi hit" so you can have (for example) melee attacks that hit multiple enemies in one frame.

* Fixes for PowerBomb attack.

* Added an option to ledge climb to support a dismount offset, which helps with certain kinds of sprite based animations.

* Improvements to event responders and SpecialMovement_PlayAnimation to better support dialogs. UPGRADE NOTE: You should now use PLAY_ANIMATION instead of SPECAIL_MOVE_ANIMATION in your event repsonses.

* Fix: Added tile support to the improved ground movement pass down.

* Fix: Small clean up of the autostick wall jump/slide to support 0 gravity setting.

* Fix: Made HasItem work for stackable items.

* Fix: Made downwards non-rotating slope movement bobble free (previously under certain conditions there was a perceptible bounce).

15. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Just a small update that has been sitting for ages: added n-jump (multi double jump) to digital and physics air movement. You can also change this setting using named properties so you can add more jumps via powerups.

- John A

Gus3D likes this.
  16. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Thats a very helpful updated! It covers many issues that I had. I really appreciate that John is extremly supportiv! Platformer Pro is a powerful asset and John's fast and very helpful support makes it a top value package. If you're looking into getting PPRO. I can recommend it anytime.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  17. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

1.1.3 submitted, awaiting approval.

18. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Very nice! I will try to build small cut scenes with the new special movements play animation.

19. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Not approved yet? How long does it take normaly?

20. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

4-7 days

21. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

It has been approved and is available! :)

22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Next update is a bunch of platform samples (maybe 101?) Some of these are new, but are a lot are just examples of how to use the existing triggers, event responders, effects and platforms to realise new behaviours.

I'm not worrying too much about making these pretty, as long as they are good enough to demonstrate the concept.

Here's a WIP video:

23. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Started planning the new enemy system today. Going to be epic :)

Gus3D, superwendel and abatcat like this.
  24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.1.4 notes (still heaps more to add, but this is what is in so far)

* Added a new way of adding extra conditions to triggers and attacks. See AdditionalConditions.

* Added platform sampler with lots of pre-configured examples of platforms, hazards and items.

* Added a damage/death movement which can play different animations based on damage type. Note this item movement be added directly not selected from the drop down.

* Added balance on edge movement.

* Added UI controls to reorder events (applies to events with 0 delay only).

* Improvements for the wall cling wall movement. UPGRADE NOTE: It now sends animation states for WALL_JUMP, WALL_SLIDE and WALL_CLING not just WALL_CLING.

* Power-bomb animation clean-up.

25. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Added moving platform support for grapple:

26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Additional conditions (available from v1.1.4). Achieve cool stuff without code.

PS In this case it might be better to write a bit of code for this situation, this is just showing how far you can get without code :)

27. Gus3D

Gus3D

I watched the whole video without audio and I couldn't understand half of what was going on but that looks really powerful. I can already imagine the possibilities.

28. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'll try re-uploading, failing that I'll have to record it again.

29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Done:

Hopefully that makes more sense.​

Bhanshee00 likes this.
  30. Gus3D

Gus3D

Thanks, that looks great!

31. kmelton

kmelton

I can't say enough great things about this framework. I'm only part of the way through development of my platformer/side-scrolling shooter, but I was able to get up-and-running in a few hours. I really like the frequency of the updates and the professional app developer in me especially loves the cleanliness and efficiency of the code. Well commented code that will pass StyleCop and CodeAnalysis checks makes me very happy. Keep up the fantastic work!

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks for the comments much appreciated. Never hesitate to get in touch if you have an issue, concern, question or suggestion.

- John A

33. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

abatcat likes this.
  34. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Woah! Really nice, the conditions are very usefull. The Airdash looks really nice as well. Really cool upgrades to an already strong packeg!

35. BTStone

BTStone

Thanks for the tutorial!

36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hey @BTStone whats happening with Sir Eatsalot. Hasn't been much on your blog for a while!

37. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Is there a way to create a rope in a different angle lets say 90°? And cut it free during gameplay so it swings downwards dynamicaly. Right now this seems not to work. When I rotate the rope and rotate it back it gets wierdly deformed.

Oh, by the way @JohnnyA you might have to relink your video about the conditions.

38. BTStone

BTStone

Ah, yeah, I suck at blogging...we're making progress though! Artists work on different assets and I'm busy with structuring levels and creating SequencedDriven Entities ;)

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The actual rope movement is 100% Unity 2D Physics. The extra components just ensure the character sticks to and climbs it in a realistic way (and enables them to add force to it both as a weight and by swinging).

So if you set up Unity physics to do that, then yes it should be fine. The fact that you talk about things getting deformed suggests there might be a scale issue. Unity has poor handling of children objects when their non-uniformly scaled parents rotate.

So first step make sure everything is at 1,1,1 scale and use the collider settings to scale the colliders.

Note this is all theoretical as I haven't done it. I'll aim to set-up an example when I get some free time (but its a low priority as things in the feature voting thread take precedence :))

40. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Thanks for the feedback, I will go back and see if this fixes the problem.

On an other topic. I need to save certain things for when exiting a level, or when dying or maybe on other occasions.

Things like:
    - Player max health,
    - Player health,
    - Spawn position (or what spawn point"string")
    - Abilities (Behaviours active/dactivated)
    - Coins (Amount)
    - Level status unlocked/locked)
    - If certain gameobjects are activated or not in the specific level
    - Quest state
    - Items

I guess there will be more eventually.

I know that PPro is saving some of these already. So my question now is what would you recommend to do. Expanding the save system you did set up, guess that is part of the player class. Or what I started with setting up a new SaveLoadManager and save things that are not covered by PPro? Having everything in one place seems like a good idea, but since I haven't done that before I just don't know what way to go.
    Is there a doco for the persistens save load functions of PPro?

Edit: Not Player class, but CharacterHealth, ItemManager and LevelManager.

So I guess since many of the needed functions are already covered, extending this seems to be easier. I am looking at the API and try to understand what it says with my artist brain...

My game features a hub world with different portals. Those will bring you to different levels. The portals are looked/deactivated at the start and will be activated over the quest system, after talking to npcs, or simply by triggers. Both of it works already. But coming back from the levels to the hub world simply spawns the player at the same place as last time. So I need to save where he exited the world so he can be respawned at that same portal. That for example would go into the levelManager I guess.

Can you point me into the right direction here?

That would be awesome!

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@rfuhrer I'll reply to that one in the other forums, its a bit involved to easily discuss here.

42. BTStone

BTStone

Hey John,

is there a quick way to let the player/character drop from a Ladder? When the player climbs the ladder or just holds on the ladder and I disable the Collider-Component, the player doesn't drop.

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@BTStone the ladder is pretty greedy about holding on to control. Following fix should work:

Code (csharp):
    2.        /// <summary>
    3.         /// Keep control until dismount.
    4.         /// </summary>
    5.         override public bool WantsControl()
    6.         {
    7.             bool leftRightDismount = true;
    8.             // Early out the ladder is gone or disabled (new code)
    9.             if (character.CurrentLadder == null || !character.CurrentLadder.enabled ) return false;
    This is in LadderMovement_Digital find the WantsControl function and add the extra condition. I can't see why I shouldn't add this to mainline code moving forward.

- John A

44. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Current 1.1.4 release notes, might push this out pretty soon even those there's a lot of things I would like to add:

* Added more events and filter options for attack (AttackCausedDamage, AttackFinished) making it easier to create more attack specific special effects.

* Added a shake effect which can be called from any event. Mainly for camera shakes, but you can use it to shake anything.

* Added a new way of adding extra conditions to triggers, platforms and attacks. See AdditionalConditions.

* Added platform sampler with lots of pre-configured examples of platforms, hazards and items.

* Added a damage/death movement which can play different animations based on damage type. Note this movement must be added directly not selected from the drop down.

* Added balance on edge movement.

* Added UI controls to reorder events (applies to events with 0 delay only).

* Added more validators to help find misconfiguration.

* Improvements for the wall cling wall movement. UPGRADE NOTE: It now sends animation states for WALL_JUMP, WALL_SLIDE and WALL_CLING not just WALL_CLING.

* Powerbomb animation clean-up.

* Fixed new easy input enable/disable so it works outside of editor. Oops.

* Fixed bug with EventResponder on AOT platforms.

Bhanshee00 likes this.
  45. Gus3D

Gus3D

Sounds great! I actually didn't realize the wall cling movement didn't send those animation states already. That woud be very useful.

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Wall Climb Standard does, but wall cling was a very old movement and hadn't been updated in some time.

47. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Another update in 1.1.4 which I just added is the ability to trigger power ups, item collection and item consumption from any event. Item events can also trigger based on item type and a minimum amount.

For example you could set up a "HYPER MODE" behaviour where if you collect 10 crystals you get powered up, get a new animation overlay, new particle effect, faster speed, and a new attack. All without code!

48. Gus3D

Gus3D

Ah I see, I was following the command bro sample and the wall movement I was using already was sending the animation states. Didn't know that movement was outdated.

49. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Great, love it.

Hope you will add more function to this package.

50. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Sounds like another great update!