Search Unity

Platformer PRO - Ledge Climbing, 360 Loops, Ropes, and Much More ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnnyA, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Platformer PRO is a powerful and flexible kit for making platform games.

Make your Game - Pluggable movement system and heaps of built-in movements and options mean you can ensure your game is YOUR game, not just a variation of ours.

Does the Hard Stuff - Does the stuff that most other kits don't: 360 Degree Loops, Ledge Climb, Ropes, Mecanim-driven movement, gravity flip and heaps more.

Does the Extra Stuff - Includes systems for everything from in-game customisable inputs to power-ups and items to a 'no-code' menu system.

Many samples - We don't just include one or two samples. The kit has 8 (and growing) sample levels which include 2.5D and 2D, physics-like movement and retro-movement, melee and projectile attacks.

Great Documentation - Not just API docs. Online HTML guides for beginners through to advance users, custom inspectors (with tooltips, warning messages, and helpers), FAQ's, online video tutorials, slack chat, and more.

Get an Android APK or Web Player demo at: http://jnamobile.com/demo.html

iOS builds available via TestFlight on request.

You are welcome to ask questions before purchase: support@jnamobile.com

Lots more videos on the youtube channel.

theANMATOR2b and BTStone like this.
  2. Ben_Avery

Ben_Avery

Congratulations on release!

3. meapps

meapps

4. BTStone

BTStone

Gratz on the release! :D

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Finally got the basic ledge climb doco in: https://jnamobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208054108

Unfortunately its hard to make this both flexible and simple. On the positive once you set it up you shouldn't need to touch it.

Also submitted the next revision. Release notes:
    Code (csharp):
    1. - Added variation to alien sample showing health bar and 'health pack' items to boost health.
    2. - Fixed bug where standard ledge climb would start REACHING movement when outside of the grasp distance.
    3. - Added an alternative jetpack movement which only takes effect when in the air, much like a double jump.
    4. - Small clean-ups to various samples.
    5. - Submitted alternative package with Unity 5 to avoid warning message showing up in the asset store.
    Last one is a doozy, even though the package imports into Unity 5 without requiring script upgrade (and has no warning or errors), the asset store still repots a warning when Unity 5 users try to use it (unbeknownst to me until someone posted a support request). This update I submitted with 4.6 and with 5.1 so this warning should go away. Hope I didn't lose too many users :s

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Added support for Rewired (Input).

jasonMcintosh and BTStone like this.
  7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Added some more options for animating and controlling attacks.

v1.02 is ready... hopefully v1.0.1 gets approved soon.

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Added a air float movement (hold jump after jumping to float). Can be turned on off with a power-up if desired.

10. The_Daleatron

The_Daleatron

congrats on finishing the product

11. biscito

biscito

hey john , )

lil bug with ferr 2D, using WallMovement_AutoStick, the fonction "overridepublicvoidDoCling" bug the wall to wall jump, i'v mask it now it's fine

Code (CSharp):
    1. overridepublicvoidDoCling() /
    2. {
    4. //Becausewearemovingandchangingvelocityallthetimethecollidersdon'tguaranteethatwesnapexactlytothewall
    5. //Soherewecalculatetheabsolutewallpositionwithanewraycast
    7. }

bud i 'v an other bug, the character don't grap the ledge, using ferr 2D, i'm investigating, do you have an idear ?

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Did you read the ledge climb doco it goes in to a fair amount of detail on the conditions for detecting and grabbing a ledge: https://jnamobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208054108-Ledge-Climbing

For more detailed support I'll need a project as ledge climbs are tricky to debug without a project. Can you export your Ferr2D colliders to a static collider and create a simple sample project?

- John A

PS Please use support channels for support requests, if you post here no ticket will be raised.

biscito likes this.
  13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

superwendel and BTStone like this.
  14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.0.1 is available

15. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

New tutorial on how to easily create ladders and ropes:

StonePaleAle and Jaans like this.
  17. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Platformer PRO - Video competition - Win $100 USD

Submit a short video (10-30 seconds) of your game, tech demo, or experiment done with Platformer PRO and you go in the running to win $100.

By submitting you agree that JNA Mobile can use your video, edited or unedited, for promotional purposes. Your game and company/developer name will be included in any material.

Winner will be determined by JNA Mobile based on visual quality, relevance, and other factors. Decision is final.

Payment will be made via PayPal only.

Competition closes 10th of October. Results to be announced 15th of October.

- - - -

To Submit send an email to support including the following:

Game Name:
    Company or Developer Name:
    URL(optional):
    Video Download Link:

18. superwendel

superwendel

This sounds interesting and is motivating to get more of my project together. Thanks for forming this competition, can't wait to see what other users are doing with Platformer Pro.

19. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@StevenWendel - I figure its good for everyone involved. A bit motivation to get your game moving forward, a (little) bit of advertising for your game. Potential for a little prize and of course good advertising for me too.

20. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Started work on the next sample called KarateQuest which is vaguely karateka inspired and is mainly about featuring complex attacks, blocks and combos.

EDIT: or not... hard to find good free art. Maybe I should learn to create character sprites :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Dash attack done.

superwendel likes this.
  22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Combo attacks are the plan for today, as well as some doco and maybe a video tutorial on EventResponders and FX.

EventResponders make adding effects to your game super simple, requiring no code to do things like play a particle effect when you jump, or change a sprite when a lever is pulled.

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 8.14.00 pm.png

Although mainly used in the menus the FX system allows you to add physics and tweening behaviour to your objects, again with no code. For example the spinning gun that flies off the character in CommandBro.

23. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Combo Attacks and weapon wielding.

Note that most graphics are not from the kit, I wanted to show what you could do if you weren't hindered by my art skills.

Combo attacks are almost done, just got to do a little clean-up. They allow queued combos (keep bashing keys to get combo), post hit combos (connect with one attack to combo in to the next), and cancel attacks (one move interrupts the other).

In the above the combo is set up as follows:

Kick queues in to Double Kick (so just press kick twice):
    Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 4.32.14 pm.png

Then Spin Kick can follow a Double Kick ONLY if it hits the bad guy:
    Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 4.32.23 pm.png

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    abatcat likes this.
  24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

In the above video I also play a particle effect if the dummy is hit with enough damage.

25. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.02 submitted, some pretty good stuff in this release:

v1.0.2

* Added ComboAttacks and DashAttacks.

* Improved most air movements to provide more consistent gravity application when grounded.
    UPGRADE NOTE: You will need to readjust (increase) the jump velocity for any air movements using physics.

* Added a Weild Weapon movement to simplify transition to a new weapon with new moves and animations.

* Added a DOUBLE_JUMP animation state to easily enable different animation for double jump.
    UPGRADE NOTE: You may need to add this state even if you don't use double jump as some other movements may trigger this state (e.g. wall movements which use override jump).

* Added new options for attack animation mode.

* Added more options for Attack Location and added "movement blocking" to optionally prevent some movements triggering while attacking.

* Added Float and Fly movements.

* Added support for third party input package Rewired.

26. superwendel

superwendel

Lots of good stuff in there, especially the wield weapon. Something I was going to extend myself but I'm happy you beat me to it.

27. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Well you could do it as a power-up in v1.01, but it makes more sense for it to be something specific to weapons.

Also just realised I forgot to add the option for an item constraint (only wield sword if you have the "SWORD" item). Blah two minute job... v1.0.3 here I come.

If you need that in the meantime send me a PM.

28. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

PS Don't forget this:

Platformer PRO - Video competition - Win $100 USD

Submit a short video (10-30 seconds) of your game, tech demo, or experiment done with Platformer PRO and you go in the running to win $100.

By submitting you agree that JNA Mobile can use your video, edited or unedited, for promotional purposes. Your game and company/developer name will be included in any material.

Winner will be determined by JNA Mobile based on visual quality, relevance, and other factors. Decision is final.

Payment will be made via PayPal only.

Competition closes 10th of October. Results to be announced 15th of October.

- - - -

To Submit send an email to support including the following:

Game Name:
    Company or Developer Name:
    URL(optional):
    Video Download Link:

Jaans likes this.
  29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Work on v1.03 begins:

Added a new animator that lets you send states with a modifier (so if you aim up you can send IDLE_UP instead of just idle). This gives an easy way to do aiming, suitable for simple sprite based games (instead of ahving to do transitions and variable based transitions as used in pixtroid).

30. Jaans

Jaans

31. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi @Janns, there are still a few things to document, I got a bit caught up in adding new features last weekend, but doco is back on the agenda this weekend. I'll put that item at the top of the list.

In the meantime I'm available on the slack chat to take you through it.

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Dum-de-dah, still no approval of v1.0.2 by Unity.

33. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

And like magic v1.0.2 is now available ;)

34. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

35. Jaans

Jaans

That looks really good, thank you! I will let you know in Slack chat if I run into problems trying it.

36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

So whats coming next...

A multi-player sample (theoretically multi-player is fine, but having a fully-worked worked sample ensures that (a) you have a reference and (b) I haven't missed anything).

This sample will be local multi-player for a start, but I'll look at network multi-player as a future option.

The sample will also feature more enemy types, the current library of Enemy AI and Movements is pretty limited.

After that the next major thing on the horizon is PlayMaker integration. The idea is to allow easy use of PlayMaker for either Movements, Animation or Enemy AI.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    superwendel likes this.
  37. meapps

meapps

How to let the rope swing?

38. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Do you mean auto swing or swing when the player presses a button?

39. meapps

meapps

40. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@meapps Okay, no example of that but I'll create one for you. You can do it with physics motors although a little script to act as a 'restrictor' does look nicer. I assume this is for your fixed length, single piece, ropes in the pitfall like game?

41. meapps

meapps

thank you, yes I want ropes like in the pitfall games.

42. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.0.3 submitted, release notes:

----------
    ----------
    Added new 'with transition' animator.

Added an option for 4-way aiming to complement 6-way and 8-way aiming.

Added an optional projectile delay to better time projectile attacks with animations.

Added a setting so crouch can use action button instead of DOWN on the vertical axis.

Fixed bug with SmoothCenteringZoneCamera and CameraZones.

Fixed bug with Variable Jump Height Air Movements which was inconsistent when the jump button was pressed rapidly.

Fixed bug with Physics Air Movements which wasn't maintaining velocity after falling.

Fixed bug in Jetpack as double jump.

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Work on v1.1.0 commences :)

superwendel likes this.
  44. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

45. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Just a little update someone wanted, making the snails a bit more like Mario turtles (i.e. they can collect coins on behalf of the character that kicks them, and can also damage enemies):

46. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

I'd love to see the documentation just so I can try and see how big of a change it would require in my project, if that's possible!

EDIT: Ah, I just saw the documentation on the site now, although they don't cover some of my questions! I'll send you an email.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  47. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yup, have gotten back to via your support ticket :)

48. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Many thanks! I'll be integrating PRO as soon as 2DTK support is available.

EDIT: @JohnnyA Is there a possible ETA on that, so I can begin preparing? I tossed another few questions via email but wasn't sure if you'd seen them.

EDIT2: Decided to just purchase PRO right now so I can at least take a look at it while waiting.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  49. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.0.4 (in progress)

Added some small updates like auto-fire and some more event response options. Also improved delayed jump so it works properly in front of the different jump types and can handle slopes.

50. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'll check again, I left the ticket open so I probably didn't notice new questions come in.