Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Platformer 2D w/ tilemap: Move player with moving-platform.

Discussion in '2D' started by Napoleonite, May 14, 2018.

1. Napoleonite

Napoleonite

I know how to make the player move with a moving-platform by making it a child of the platform:

But my problem is that the player has a capsule collider and a zero-friction-physics2d-material applied (to prevent getting stuck in walls from the tilemap like this guy: https://forum.unity.com/attachments/screen_problem-png.143501/ ).
    However that zero-friction-physics2d-material also causes the player not to move along with the moving-platform (took me a week to figure out that this was the cause). Applying a material with friction to the platform obviously does not fix it because zero multiplied by something is still zero.

Yes applying a friction material to the player obviously solves the moving-platform issue but then I get stuck in every wall from the tilemap again.

How do I best solve this?

2. N_Murray

N_Murray

Hi I'm not sure how you would implement this but I'm sure you can apply a different material upon OnCollisionEnter with the platform and then change it back with OnCollisionExit. Just a thought ;)

Napoleonite likes this.
  3. Napoleonite

Napoleonite

Wow thanks that super simple solution does indeed work (why did I not think of that..). I however cannot drag a Physics2DMaterial into the inspector onto a public variable for some reason but I can make them strings and load it in the Start() function and since enemies require it as well I made a separate Script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class PlatformEntity : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     public string DefaultMaterial = "PM_Default";
    6.     public string PlatformMaterial = "PM_Platform";
    8.     PhysicsMaterial2D MaterialDefault;
    9.     PhysicsMaterial2D MaterialPlatform;
    10.     Collider2D Collider;
    12.     void Start()
    13.     {
    14.         Collider = GetComponent<Collider2D>();
    15.         MaterialDefault = Resources.Load("Materials/" + DefaultMaterial, typeof(PhysicsMaterial2D)) as PhysicsMaterial2D;
    16.         MaterialPlatform = Resources.Load("Materials/" + PlatformMaterial, typeof(PhysicsMaterial2D)) as PhysicsMaterial2D;
    17.     }
    19.     public void SetMaterialDefault()
    20.     {
    21.         Collider.sharedMaterial = MaterialDefault;
    22.     }
    24.     public void SetMaterialPlatform()
    25.     {
    26.         Collider.sharedMaterial = MaterialPlatform;
    27.     }
    28. }
    And ohyeah I also had to change the platform material itself from 0.4 --> 1.0 friction.

4. N_Murray

N_Murray

Looks good:) and its always the simple things that catch us out , sometimes you just need to take a break or get someone else to have a look ;)

unityunity