Search Unity

Plat Norris in Invasion of Earth!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Starsman Games, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

If you have followed this thread (that started in gossip and was moved to collab) then you may be filled in on this. If not:

A thread derail lead me to decide to create a game about a platypus dual wielding sharks that have lasers attached to their heads. :) (Edit: was mostly an attempt to one-up rab236's idea of a Platypus that acquired lasers, btw)

I posted character concept evolution in that thread, I'll re-post it here. The image above is the latest in that design evolution.

The game will be a platformer with full sized levels (unlike Misu Misu Kaboom that was designed around byte sized levels with collection objectives.)

Character evolution:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

It seems as if somebody stole my idea

*cough* Tharsman *cough*

As originally quoted by me from here,
    It seems as if the race is on.

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

He needs either...

A Top Hat
    A Monocle
    A Moustache

4. chippy-cheese

chippy-cheese

A monocle. Sounds interesting idea but the production is what matters to me anyways.

5. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Blasphemy!!!! My Platypus did not aquire lasers!!! He aquired sharks... who happened to have lasers attached to their heads!!! That's tottally different!!! He wont be fighting zombie alien ninjas either! Just cyborg alien mummies [just made that up *cough* i mean I didn't just made that up!]

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Eh, you can keep it. I'll have an even better game involving... wait... I'm not telling you.

7. MadRobot

MadRobot

Wait, what happened to the piranha shurikens? And that teddy still isn't right. I'm telling you, they have lace and frilly stuff and show a lot of skin.

I mean, what?

8. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Shuriken pirahna sound cool but who would use shurikens when you already have laser shark guns? Melee tools may be more of a question, perhaps at some point I'll give him a swordfish with a laser beak as a sort of light sabre :)

As for the teddy look, decided to go for a more cartoony yet organic look. Removed the edge lines where I was able to without heavy UV changes. The arms still look a bit slashed but this will be very small on screen character anyways.

I'm still working on the texture and will keep working on it for a few more days, on and off between other stuff. Just added a bit of shading to the chest to make that jacket look less... tattooed. I can defend myself with 3D but this is only my... what... 5th or 6th full character model to this date? Other than that it's been mostly basic geometric tests.

9. Heu

Heu

10. Haledire

Haledire

Wait a tic... when did the platypus become the hero? I thought they were gonna be shark wielding Platypi wielded by Octopi. I didn't get the memo...

I was envisioning some strange progressive situation where a shark was the first enemy, then a platypus duel wielding sharks, maybe a Gorilla quad wielding Platypi, A squid se... uhm... whatever six is... -wielding Gorillas quad-wielding Platypi dual-wielding Sharks, and an Octopus ... octo-wielding squids s...-wielding gorillas quad-wielding platypi dual wielding sharks, then maybe Cthulu ... well you get the idea.

Plat Norris works though. At least he has a name, but now we need to come up with an adversary! What kind of aliens are we fighting and why do they have a beef with Plat?

Edit: Perhaps they're trying to capture him as a specimen because of his odd appearance. Might need to accentuate the Platypus concept of it being some sort of mash up of different animals (needs moar tail... or does it look so small just because of the angle).

I could see having various fish as some sort of tech-imbued weapons and having some sort of tail move for a default melee when unarmed.

11. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I am shooting for absolute absurdity here so I'm thinking:

Martian Jellyfish from Uranus.

12. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Two things:
    How is it a Martian from Uranus? (trying not to make a joke about how Uranus is big and full of gas. I just failed)
    No kraken?

13. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

How dare you steal my idea tharsman! :p

14. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Martian jellyfish relocated to Uranus due to lower taxes and gated communities. They planned their Earth Invassion Initiative there and then.... well... started up the invasion.

Now you want me to copy your idea all the way? :p

You mean how did i steal the idea of stealing the idea? Good question, the paradox still confuses me.

15. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Might as well haha

16. MadRobot

MadRobot

There is no Kraken Uranus

17. Haledire

Haledire

How about this for an avenue to pursue for storyline:

--------------------------

The Martian Jellyfish from Uranus plot to take over the Earth by extracting DNA information from Platypi, believing them to hold the secrets of all the creatures of the world (because... why not), thus kidnapping the inhabitants of Plat Norris' homeland. Using the Platypi as a control source (ok this part I didn't think through enough, I'm reaching), the Jellyfish leaders send their minions to control other animals in various regions.

During the course of the adventure, Plat is forced to face off against not only these Martian Jellyfish, but animals being controlled by these Jellyfish attached to their heads as a means of control (because they're full of some sort of hypnotic gas... or venom? I like the gas idea cuz... ok maybe the Uranus joke got stuck in my head).

The adventure could go from Plat's hometown (where the attack begins, mostly just basic Jellyfish), to the Oceans (perhaps add some details of expanding his "Aquatic Weaponry Repertoire" where the Jellyfish have modified some aquatic animals and left the technology behind), to the Forests (Jellyfish controlled Bears with Squirrel-zookas), to the Jungles (Jellyfish controlled ninja Panthers with Piranha shuriken), to a City (Jellyfish controlled... zoo animals? with... Pigeon ... ok I'm losing the thought now...), leading up to chasing the invaders back to Mars! All the while rescuing Plat's fellow Platypi.

-----------------------

Just a thought, take it however you will.

18. virror

virror

Hahaha, best game idea, ever ; )

19. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Omg! You are actually going through with it!

20. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

What about Klingons?

21. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

What about Kraken Klingons?

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

How about a giant club that is a whale????

(PS. Any one in Australia would know platypuses are darn rare, i guess this explains what they are doing :D)

23. c-Row

c-Row

Because a creature that looks like a Platypus is bound to have something that justifies his existance. ;)

24. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

As far as story goes: I want to keep it as simple as possible. In game, I dont want to take any longer than a Mario game usually takes to establish the plot.

This means a short opening and a short ending, with no much storytelling in between.

So far I have some ideas I am set on, but wont spill them yet because I want to make sure I can express them nicely in some visual form first.

Heck yea it's happening! I am going to do a social experiment this weekend, going to setup some more media, perhaps some basic level design, stuff I can show off (if I manage to make it look good) in forums here and there, like the TouchArcade forums to see if I can measure player interest in the idea. Depending on the reaction to the teasers. The size of the project will depend on the communities reaction.

25. Torsh

Torsh

Plat Norris. Lol. Best game ever.

By the way, I like the character model.

26. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Thanks.

27. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

What about the top hat? Or monocle? Or one of those hats with a propellor on top?