Search Unity

PlasticSCM vs Alternative

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by impheris, Jul 5, 2022.

1. impheris

impheris

So... i'm starting a new project with a friend who wants to work with unity... anyway i'm seeing in the forums that collaborate is deprecated and now we need to work with Plastic but i've been seeing really bad reviews all over the forum about Plastic (for a change... what a surprise) whatever i just want to share the project with my friend like collaborate... is this Plastic good? is there any free alternative? thanks... :)

2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

As you know, Plastic SCM it's the default one with Unity (Collab has been deprecated).

There were some issues in the past (not with Plastic SCM but mainly specifically with the plugin for Plastic SCM inside Unity).
    Most of these issues are fixed in the last package version.

I would recommend you to give it a try and we will be happy to assist if you have further questions or face any issues.

Regards,
    Carlos.

3. impheris

impheris

all right then... thanks

4. impheris

impheris

Hi again, i have a little problem, i invited my friend to the project but he is able to see my other projects too and i do not want that, also, in the dashboard i did not see any option for that, how can i select the project that i only want he to see?
    Also, i "disable" and "reset" some projects in: DevOps > Config > "project" > Disable project in cloud build, but he can see it and there is some files on the cloud storage.
    Also i remove the "version control" package from the project with the assets manager but in the hub (after restart) it still showing "source control" on those projects

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Marc-Saubion likes this.
  5. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

6. impheris

impheris

Thanks for the link, now, about my previous comment:
    1 - i invited my friend to the project but he is able to see my other projects too and i do not want that
    It means do not want him to see the other projects, that is a big security problem (in my opinion).

2 - i "disable" and "reset" some projects in: DevOps > Config > "project" > Disable project in cloud build, but he can see it and there is some files on the cloud storage. (pretty self explanatory i think)
    I do not want him to see my other projects, just the project i want him to work with me.

3 - i remove the "version control" package from the project with the assets manager but in the hub (after restart) it still showing "source control" on those projects
    It means that even after removing the assets (version control) with the package manager, in the hub, is still showing "source control" next to the name of the project which means that is still using Plastic and cloud "stuffs" :)

Edited: Nevermind, i installed the app and deleted the repos

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    carlosalba1985 likes this.
  7. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

The problem is that the default settings allow access to everything. It should be the opposite.

8. impheris

impheris

So it was not my fault... I see... very unsecure, that is a big BIG fail

9. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

When you create a Plastic SCM Cloud organization all the users have access to all the repos by default. There is no restriction. But you can customize the repository permissions based on your needs. Plastic has a very granular permissions system for both repositories, paths, branches: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/security/plastic-scm-version-control-security-guide

10. impheris

impheris

That is really bad, at least it should have an option on the installer to make it unrestricted by default or not. If i'm working with 2 or more clients or i have my own project and i'm working with one client, my client will see and have access to my repo at the moment i installed Plastic (exactly what happened to me) i don't see a good reason for that :/

Marc-Saubion likes this.