Search Unity

Question Plastic SCM Version Control (Gluon) - Remote Projects open to empty scene

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by ebbenflow, Sep 17, 2022.

1. ebbenflow

ebbenflow

Hi. I'm attempting to leverage Plastic SCM cloud saves for version control and to enable "remote" access to edit my Unity projects across machines (same location/network, across Desktop PC, Laptop PC, hopefully Mac/Macbook). This is for projects that are part of the same "organization" to be accessed only by myself, via the same Unity account, across machines.

I've followed Unity Learn and Documentation to setup Plastic SCM (Gluon) workspaces for and checked in multiple projects on my laptop PC, each a full scene including terrain, scripts, assets, audio, etc. All are within Plastic SCM-compatible Unity Editor versions, and remotely accessed projects opened with the same version.

When I open the remote projects remotely from my desktop PC via the Unity Hub, some - perhaps all - of the assets, etc. appear to be there in the hierarchy but the scene is completely empty. I've attempted deleting the locally saved copy of the project on my desktop PC and re-accessing the remote project but no change. There are tells that indicate the remote versions are not 1:1 with the latest iteration of the projects checked in to the Plastic SCM workspace (in some have to link to my Organization, update Version Control, etc.). On a couple, I've additionally enabled Cloud Build, thinking this may have something to do with it based on reference to it in the documentation, but no change.

I'm new to version control but am at a loss and perhaps expecting the process to be more intuitive - as simple as cloud-saves for games, browser favorites and passwords, etc. I've exhausted hours of research and review of the documentation, Learn content, YouTube, Reddit, Unity forum threads, etc. on the topic to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. ebbenflow

ebbenflow

FINALLY got this working, sort of, through trial and error. But still not working as expected leveraging the 'Open remote project' option.

1. Attempted to 'Open remote project' in Unity - opened to blank scene
    2. Attempted to follow steps here, starting at #5: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/co...uv=2022.1&projectId=630e728fedbc2a33c08442cd#
      1. download the workspace saved to the cloud through the Plastic SCM app on desktop
      2. then open project saved to local disk and open the Scene file - opened to blank scene
    3. WORKED - Navigate in File Explorer to the downloaded workspace on local disk, open from there
      1. ex:
      2. upload_2022-9-17_15-28-23.png
      3. THEN, go to Unity Hub once the file already opened and open file from disk to get it to appear in the Unity Hub projects list
        1. it will error saying the file is already open but this will link it so it can be accessed in the Unity Hub
        2. upon closing the project, re-opening from the Hub works

3. Maleke

Maleke

I had a similar issue.

For me the initial commit on work computer by default didn't include the scenes and assets. It defaulted to only uploading the project settings. Thus, when I opened the project on remote computer I had blank scenes.

After I went back to work computer and added all the assets to the repo and updated workspace I was finally able to see and work on it.

Good luck,
    Mal