Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Plastic scm takes forever to update

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Terkish1987, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Terkish1987

Terkish1987

I'm downloading an update of plastic scm through the app and it takes forever to do it.
    upload_2023-3-15_20-51-24.png

I checked my internet speed and its stable 1Gbs download as it should be, only Plastic SCM has this issue. Anyone else experienced this problem?

I hope I did not duplicate the thread.

Update: After 10min, I've measured an average speed of 1.6Mb/s, not even half yet. Speedtest done at the same time showed again 948Mb/s. Nothing but issues this Plastic, since the first release. Sad, because collab was really good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Did you try downloading from their website directly?

Collab was not really good.

3. Terkish1987

Terkish1987

No, I did not. It's 9 min left, I will wait. Next time I will try.

Definitely better than Plastic SCM. At least it was working.

codeBatt likes this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't understand how downloading a file from their web-server slowly qualifies as a service not working, but anyway.

Here is their download link in case you want to try: https://www.plasticscm.com/download

5. Terkish1987

Terkish1987

The thread is about turtle-slow download, the "not working" part is just an opinion after many, many problems, unity crashes, random freezes, GC errors and other issues caused by Plastic.

Thanks.

6. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @Terkish1987,

We don't have any other report of server-side issues that could explain the slow download speed.
    What is your data center location and where are you located? Could you attach the Platic client logs?
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs

Can you run the following command in a console? This way, we should be able to check the network speed upload/download data.
    cm iostats <YourOrganization>@cloud --nettotalmb=128

Regards,
    Carlos.

7. Terkish1987

Terkish1987

Hi @carlosalba1985, thanks for getting back to me.
    1. Which one of the log files would you like, and how would you like to receive it as I'm not going to drop it here for security reasons.
    2. I'm not sure I understand, do you want me to run this command on which console or where? On Windows, it doesn't work.

3. Update: I've got another issue, after that update Plastic decide that can't find projects on the hard drive and it telling me that I need to create new workspace having the project files on the same location without touching them. I'm not sure if for that I should create another thread.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  8. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Can you open a support ticket and share the latest logs with us?

Do you have a standalone Plastic Cloud edition client installed in your machine? https://www.plasticscm.com/download
    If you install the Plastic SCM client, you should be able to run "cm" commands in a Windows "cmd".

Yes, please let's open another thread to avoid mixing the conversations. The file where Plastic tracks the existing workspaces is the following one. I'm guessing if it was removed:
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\plastic.workspaces

9. Terkish1987

Terkish1987

Do you want me to include the location issue with it as it's actually more annoying? (It is not the first time it happened).

Yes, I do have it. The first screenshot about update time was from a standalone application. I'm using it since migration.
    Today's update on plastic was fine in terms of speed.

On the first try it wasn't as I put my organisation name leaving angle brackets, that's why it wasn't working, my bad.
    There are results:
    PlasticIssue.png

Today's update was quick. Maybe it is something to do with the fact that it has constantly issues with login off and losing directory of the projects?

upload_2023-3-17_9-58-34.png
    My internet is stable. Location Uk.

Attached Files:

10. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Do you mean that not all your coworkers in different locations are not facing the same problem when downloading data from the same repo?

Note that comparing that web browser speed test with the Plastic upload/download speed is not fair because the speed is dependent on your location and cloud data center location. What is your Plastic Cloud data center location?

I don't think it should be relevant. If you are logged in the workspace metadata is not broken. If it happens again, we will need to review your Plastic client logs to check where the time is spent.

11. Terkish1987

Terkish1987

I'm going to open the support ticket. It will be easier if we schedule the call, there are more details to it and over the phone, we can address them all.

Quick answers:
    It doesn't work for me as the owner so I'm not adding complexity by having other people use my repo on Plastic SCM. It just doesn't cooperate compare to collab.

I just wanted to point out that my internet is fine, the intention wasn't to compare speed. I understand the speed will vary but shouldn't be to the point of 2Mb/s.
    Region of the server - Europe West - Netherlands.

12. matiasges

matiasges

Same here. At the beginning I was uploading at 800 and then down to 2 and 1.

13. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

We don't currently have any issues detected in our cloud infrastructure. If it's slow, please open a ticket with us at devops-vcs-support@unity3d.com