Search Unity

Plastic SCM really complicated

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Blobord, Feb 24, 2022.

1. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

It won’t let me do anything. My project has been stuck in a completely unusable state all day because of PlasticSCM. Nothing is loading, and now it’s giving me this too. 470D14CD-6A15-4E03-9F38-9A383D4C7D7D.png

it twists my arm to do one thing and then twist it to do another thing and I can’t do either. It’s not letting me revert or commit changes. I’m just stuck

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

This means it doesn't find the Unity merge tool, which is a really weird issue I'm baffled they still haven't solved.

Find your client.conf file (typically in AppData\Local\plastic4 ) then edit the merge tool path for unity scenes and prefabs to be a valid path to Unity's merge tool.

upload_2022-5-1_2-19-26.png

3. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

I couldn’t find the client.conf file anywhere on the Mac but I looked in the Plastic SCM preferences and found Merge Tools and changed the Unity version to match the one I’m using, like you said, and that finally got it unstuck at least. It’s still giving me so much trouble though just trying to do a simple revert. It shouldn’t be this complicated

7B020FB7-42CB-4EAB-887A-1981FDD2D4B7.png

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Not sure if that’s correct actually, since you’re supposed to use the Unity merge tool only for prefabs and scenes, not every non binary file.

5. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

I’ll try changing it to binary too then right after I finish uploading this 4.99GB of files that it’s forcing me to upload just so that I can revert it all. I’m really not sure why it has to be like this

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You don’t need to upload to revert it. If you don’t want your changes just undo them.

Also you shouldn’t set the Unity merge tool to binary too.

7. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

Haha I'm not even sure what I'm doing with it anymore after fighting with it for so long. I don't even know what shape my project files are in either. There were some weird partial uploads and files it wanted me to delete before I could even do anything, and a lot of jumping back and forth between programs trying to get it to work. It still doesn't really feel like a viable tool I'd like to have to use.

Yay my revert finally went through and my project files are still in tact!

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  8. popochv

popochv

All I wanted was to share one repo in my account with another user group.
    When I add them through the permission option in the Plastic SCM client, I could find this newly added user group from every single other repo in my account, and this user group has been assigned with the same permission that I assigned to the repo that I actually want to share with them only.
    What the hell?
    Why this permission panel shows the user group on other repos that I never asked to share with them? and why this shows that this user group has the same list of permission?

I did what the manual says
    https://www.plasticscm.com/document...urity-guide#Openuparepositorytoaspecificgroup
    But this ended up with a weird result.
    Now I have to wait until my teammate confirms me that they can see only one repo or every repo in my account.
    What a time waste...
    Can you simply the UI of the Plastic SCM PC client?
    The permission panel for each repo should show a different list of permissions per user or group per repo. It should be.

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @popochv, I'm sorry you were having issues setting your repo permissions with your user group. Did you configure the user group's permissions in the "Repository server permissions" option or in the "Permissions" option of the Cloud view? Your Repository Server Permissions should be seen across all repos in your cloud server, while settings set in the Permissions window for a specific repo can override values set at the org level (like being able to view/read a repo).

I'll pass along this feedback to simplify the permissions-handling UI to the dev team.

10. radianhelixmedia

radianhelixmedia

My favourite "Plastic is trying my patience" moment today has come from:
    If you are on Windows 7, and press "Try the New Alpha GUI!"

The UI switches to the new .NET update that no longer supports Windows 7. This crashes plastic, and pops up an error.

Surprise!

The solution:
    https://forum.plasticscm.com/topic/...scm-gui-alpha-is-now-available/#comment-45917

Oh, you scoundrel. Leaving behind us old men on our aging OS. Ya gettin' on me last nerve, whippersnapper, ye are!

11. stechmann

stechmann

Collab was incredibly buggy to the point where it was unusable in a team. We kept getting files that were simply not synched between team members, files disappearing, weird conflicts, etc.

Plastic at least works much more reliable and has so far synched properly with the repository, except in one case where a file did not get synched for the life of it. It also crashes sometimes.

So Collab was 70% reliable, Plastic is 98% reliable. That's much better but still not good enough.

Also, Plastic it is bloated with features no one needs and the user interface is a nightmare. Two clients, really?? Simple tasks like restoring a deleted file cannot even be done without major hassle. Plastic loses track of files when there are too many change and move operations queued, requiring to split up the upload into 3-4 separate steps where it is a trial and error game which files I am allowed to check in now. And the Unity plug-in is unusable as it keeps getting in the way. Not great, really not great.

Seeing the complexity of Plastic, it seems like a lost cause and should be rewritten from scatch without all the bloat. What we need is a simple leightweight solution that is 100% reliable. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  12. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

We appreciate your feedback. Note that having two GUIs is one of the most demanded features for Plastic SCM. Especially for gaming, where the are two main roles in the team: The advanced developer who requests advanced version control features (distributed workflow, branching, merging, shelving...) and the artists who have some problems learning the advanced version control stuff and want something simple with basic features and easy to learn.

I agree that restoring a deleted file is not easy in the Plastic GUI. Not sure if you have checked the new Plastic X GUI. We are redesigning from scratch the UIs (both developer and artists GUIs). Your feedback is welcome.

Do you have any ticket/report regarding this issue of moving items and having to checkin in different steps? I would like to review the details if your case. You can also reach us at support@plasticscm.com.
    The same applies for the Unity plugin. If you have some blocking issue, please let us know the details and we will be happy to assist you.

LilGames likes this.
  13. NitroZoron

NitroZoron

I hate Plastic SCM so much
    It took me nearly a week and a half to figure out how to collaborate and once I figured it out, it didn't even work properly

outdated files and S***. my friend can't see the new changes how the F*** am I meant to work like this, it's too complicated to use and the tutorials for it are complete trash. the repositories and workspace are so so annoying because again the tutorials are literal garbage.

sad thing is, I wanna revert to the old collaborate but of course, my project was made during the plastic SCM update so it F***ed some S*** up

I have a deep hatred for this software so much
    because of how it operates and how S***ty the tutorials are, and it's so overly complicated more than it needs to be and the only type of support I can go to is F***ing emailing and forum but god knows how long that'll take to get an answer if I even get an answer.
    it's so annoying I just wanna have an easy collaboration with my friends but no I can't have that! thank you plastic SCM for completely wasting my time and the time of others. Unity has clearly made a lot of easy and clear documents and the manual, yet when it comes to plastic SCM it's a disaster. I literally had to go on page 2 of google PAGE TWO, no one goes there unless they're desperate. and still no answer to any of my problems.

FIX THIS SOFTWARE
    or delete it

I'm moving to unreal if this S*** hasn't been fixed

14. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi NitroZoron, if you reach us at support@plasticscm.com, we will be happy to arrange a meeting with you to review your issues with Plastic SCM and find the best workflow for your needs.

GiovanniCREAL likes this.
  15. LilGames

LilGames

In my experience so far, the Plastic team's response time has been excellent. Not at all like regular unity Support channels. So make sure you contact "Plastic" support by email and not regular Unity support.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    carlosalba1985 and IOU_RAY like this.
  16. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

For the life of me I still can’t get Plastic SCM to load my “Pending Changes”. I am stuck watching this spinning circle thing for all eternity while nothing ever loads. I want to make some major changes to my project but can’t until I get some version control that actually works properly

E8E43C79-185D-4F4E-808F-5E5659E7F6DB.gif

Update: I had to delete my ENTIRE workspace and make a whole new one to finally get it to load again. Plastic SCM is highly impractical and not production ready.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  17. OveryonderStudios

OveryonderStudios

It's always a bit of a sad exhale when OPs of angry posts like this finally admit to what they did that broke things. In this case, deleting large directories from the project and reimporting them from registry, or aborting workspace changes and being surprised that they're left with a mess. You can't pull the plug out of the wall on Git or Perforce mid-operation either.

This is invariably going to confuse most VCSs - they do actually care about metadata like timestamps, and who's to say that the reimported package wasn't full of binaries or patched since the last version.

xavier-ateo and LilGames like this.
  18. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

DD5D4F21-42B3-402A-AC36-45832DB5DE7B.gif

19. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

I am usually bit of a hater these days for anything Unity, but I do agree.....the Plastic Forum itself is definitely a better place for responses and support than here for....well, Plastic.

It is a bit weird that they have an official forum, and then a separate (also) official forum here on Unity. I would probably suggest using both if you're using it for Unity though.

We just ran into similar issues.

We started using Plastic shortly before Unity acquired it and it seemed more stable then. Since, I have seen multiple massive downtimes...I've seen amateur-hour errors show up on their website because they had no forwarding set up, I've seen numerous issues for our artist with connection issues to the cloud servers.

Could be coincidence, I doubt it, but at this point I don't care. It would be nice to just know that we can work without service/software interruptions, as we already have to constantly deal with Editor issues, Cloud-Build issues, and so on.

On the flip-side, we went through 100x more hell with Collab. Collab COULD have been great but it was neglected and we were lied to relentlessly about the efforts behind it. Hopefully Plastic warms up to you because what other choices do we have now?

Marc-Saubion and AcidArrow like this.
  20. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I can see multiple reports and feedback in this thread. We are collecting all of them and sharing them with the team.

For debugging a particular issue, you can open a new forum thread or open a ticket at support@plasticscm.com
    In this one, there are different reported issues/feedback and it's difficult to debug all of them in the same thread.

21. Bean_std_nt

Bean_std_nt

Bros, I got almost your errors above, I just ignored them, but I got another terrible error made me crazy:
    My project has only one member on cloud, I mean only me pushed changes to cloud. One day, I just upgraded from Unity 2020.3 to 2021.3, the project ran well after upgrading, but the crazy Plastic SCM told me that there were 23 conflicts to solve ==>>> WTH !!!
    If Unity don't solve this crazy tool quickly, I will think about switching to Unreal Engine 5

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  22. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

We will need some more context and details to understand this behavior. Are you available for a meeting to debug it?

23. Bean_std_nt

Bean_std_nt

If you want a meeting, just message to me.
    I want to report another bug: I renamed a class manually in VS and then rename its file name to the new name in Unity Editor. Then pushed to cloud. Then I pulled it on a Mac, and the project on Mac didn't change the file name, but it changed the class name in the content of script file.

24. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Do you mind to open a ticket at support@plasticscm.com with the details of these two issues. We use to answer pretty fast and we can even arrange a meeting with you.

LilGames likes this.
  25. jdingkitsune

jdingkitsune

goofy ah ah plastic scm

26. SammmZ

SammmZ

I'm looking through a bunch of topics regarding Plastic and seems like there is no solution to Plastic randomly marking half of the imported asset files/folders as private so they can't be deleted, right?

27. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

"Private" simply means that they have not been added to the repository yet. These files can still be deleted from your local workspace.

Hope this helps!

28. LilGames

LilGames

Unless they are needed by Unity! In which case you want to hide them, not delete.

29. dscohen

dscohen

Agree 100% and their sales and support team are unresponsive and unhelpful.

SammmZ likes this.
  30. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

@dscohen
    We are answering most of the support tickets opened at support@plasticscm.com in less than 24 hours (most of them in just a few hours). Could you clarify why you said the support team is unresponsive?

If you have opened any ticket with us with no response, please share the information with me and I will review it.

LilGames likes this.
  31. Bean_std_nt

Bean_std_nt

This is a very bad solution, a watse resources solution!
    We want to save our time, we need a forum like Stack Overflow, where same issues of others are solved by you, plasticSCM CS team, and we just apply the solution in fastest way, we don't want to send a private email and wait, wait, wait,....
    Today, I have a problem about the line "Add to inorged list" is disable, and I cannot find out anywhere by google for solution, plastic SCM need a better customer support team!

SammmZ likes this.
  32. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The fastest way to receive a response is by opening a ticket, especially if you are paying customer or the issue is urgent. We have a dedicated team answering tickets and you can expect a response in a few hours (or even minutes).

It doesn't mean we don't handle this forum. We are also monitoring and answering the forums (not only the Unity forums but also the Plastic forums where there is a huge amount of posts where you can search for your issue: https://forum.plasticscm.com/) but it may take a bit more time to have an answer compared to the tickets.

Please include some screenshot and details so we can check what is the GUI you are using and the steps you re following.