Search Unity

Plastic SCM not detecting scene changes.

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Kiour_gr, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Kiour_gr

Kiour_gr

Hello, I work in a team of three with Plastic SCM (through unity, 2 macs 1 pc).
    We have recently noticed that while one of us edits a scene and saves it, the scene does not show up in the pending changes. Our temporary solution is to select the changed files and manually check them in. Is there some setting we can change?
    Any idea why this is happening?

2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Is the scene already controlled (checked in) to the repo or is it a private file?

Could you check your ignore.conf/hidden_changes.conf. I'm guessing if the changes performed in this file are being ignored for some reason.

Regards,
    Carlos.

3. Kiour_gr

Kiour_gr

Thank you for the reply,
    All the scenes have already been checked in once for sure when I created the project.

this is my ignore file contents similar to my colleague's.
    Library
    library
    Temp
    temp
    Obj
    obj
    Build
    build
    Builds
    builds
    UserSettings
    usersettings
    MemoryCaptures
    memorycaptures
    Logs
    logs
    /ignore.conf
    *.private
    *.private.meta
    ^*.private.[0-9]+$
    ^*.private.[0-9]+.meta$
    **/Assets/AssetStoreTools
    **/assets/assetstoretools
    /Assets/Plugins/PlasticSCM*
    /assets/plugins/PlasticSCM*
    .vs
    .gradle
    ExportedObj
    .consulo
    *.csproj
    *.unityproj
    *.sln
    *.suo
    *.tmp
    *.user
    *.userprefs
    *.pidb
    *.booproj
    *.svd
    *.pdb
    *.mdb
    *.opendb
    *.VC.db
    *.pidb.meta
    *.pdb.meta
    *.mdb.meta
    sysinfo.txt
    *.apk
    *.unitypackage
    .collabignore
    crashlytics-build.properties
    **/Assets/AddressableAssetsData/*/*.bin*
    **/assets/addressableassetsdata/*/*.bin*
    **/Assets/StreamingAssets/aa.meta
    **/assets/streamingassets/*/aa/*
    .DS_Store*
    Thumbs.db
    Desktop.ini

4. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Are you also reproducing the issue in the Plastic GUI (www.plasticscm.com --> Downloads)?

5. Kiour_gr

Kiour_gr

My colleagues are graphic designers, I was hopping to avoid it and work only in unity like we used to do in collab.
    I will ask them to do it this way and report back.

6. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

No problem with working just in Unity. But in order to debug this issue, having the Plastic GUI may help to determine if the problem is related to the plugin.

7. unisip

unisip

Same issue here. Plastic was working just fine until today. But for some reason now some files are not showing in the plastic pending changes tab.
    Here is what I did:
    - modify a scene
    - modify a script

The pending tab shows the script but not the scene
    In the project view, I see the purple arrow on the scene asset, showing that Unity has spotted a change on that asset
    If I open the branch explorer and look at the pending changes view, it sees the scene and the script

Using Unity 2021.3.16f1
    Never had this problem before and I have been using Plastic for a long time

8. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @unisip, what is your Version Control package version? Are you using the latest one? 2.0.1

Is the issue happening also if you open the Plastic SCM GUI? www.plasticscm.com --> Downloads.
    Or only if you use the Unity plugin?

9. gromiczek

gromiczek

@carlosalba1985 - I'm having this same problem and am using the Plastic SCM GUI. I've been using Plastic for a few years now with no problem until yesterday, which was my first pull to a different computer after the Unity integration.

10. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

11. unisip

unisip

PlasticSCM Gui works fine. I am using the latest supported version control package in 2021.3 (will check that it is 2.0.1)

12. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @unisip please let us knmow if version is 2.0.1.
    If I properly understand, the pending changes in the Unity plugin doesn't match with the Plastic GUI?

13. unisip

unisip

Actually I just checked and it is version 1.17.7 (Unity 2021.3.16f1)
    Version 2.0.1 doesn't show in the list so I can't seem to upgrade to that version.
    My version 1.17.7 displays as Version Control, but the actual package is com.unity.collab-proxy.
    How can I force Unity to update it ?

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  14. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Could you try this manually install the latest version?

Attached Files:

15. unisip

unisip

That worked! Installed 2.0.4 on top of 1.17.7.
    Still not sure why 1.17.7 didn'ty show any updates available though. That's odd..
    I'll try to use it a little to see if it fixes my issues.
    Thanks for helping.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  16. sorenandreasen

sorenandreasen

I'm also having issues with thiss. Scenes are definitely checked in, but when i swap between my home-office and the office, despite being 100% i have checked everything in prior, i will almost always experience some scene changes that haven't been applied somehow. and I am extremely careful about play-mode, this is not the issue. incredibly frustrating to sometimes have to troubleshoot some strange bug just to find out it is because some scene change wasnt applied in plastic.. Im on unity 2022.2.11 with Version Control 2.0.3.. just seeing now there is a 2.0.5 though

17. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Can you easily reproduce the problem?

Plastic is tracking the content on disk and the "Checkin changes" view should show any file on disk that contain changes in the timestamp (doesn't matter if the file contains actually changes in the file content or not). This is the default behavior. Assuming you are refreshing the "checkin Changes" view before submitting the changes.

If you can reproduce it and Plastic is not tracking some of your changes, we will need to debug your local configuration.

18. sorenandreasen

sorenandreasen

Hi Carlosalba, yes I can easily reproduce the issue. i just did the following:
    1. do some work on PC1
    2. apply changes from PC1 to Plastic
    3. send the local scene file "A1" to PC2 for manual diffing
    3. go to PC2 and click "update" on "incoming changes"
    4. manually diff the raw text from A1 with the newly updated scene file "A2" on PC2
    -- A1 and A2 are identical
    5. try and run scene A2 on PC2
    -- immediately i see crucial scene information is not there - specifically regarding public values set for components in the inspector.

how on earth the scene files can be identical and yet still these things are not stored is perplexing to me.. are these public inspector-set values not stored in the scene files then??

i am sitting here looking at the still-correct scene on PC1. let me try and elaborate on what i see:

the first value i noticed being wrong is a

[SerializeField]
    public LayerMask IgnoredPickupLayers;

in A1 this has 2 layers selected and in A2 it has no layers selected

what else can i provide to get to the bottom of this?

alecmak likes this.
  19. sorenandreasen

sorenandreasen

noticing now there is also a public string that i had set on PC1 on a whole bunch of components, but none of these components have them on PC2. the bewildering thing here is that if i search in the text of the raw scene file on PC2, i actually find that exact string (which is no where to be seen either in the VS solution or in the inspectors - on PC2). not just once, there are the same number of occurenses of this string as the number of objects I gave it to on PC1

wish i had just kept using git at this point

EDIT (temporary SOLUTION):
    apparently, closing unity on PC2 and reopening seems to have fixed the missing references.. at least a temporary comfort for now

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  20. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi @sorenandreasen, so the problem was not the files were not properly updated but the problem is the Unity project was not reloading the changes that were downloaded via incoming changes?

21. sorenandreasen

sorenandreasen

that does indeed seem to be the case yes

22. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hey @sorenandreasen,

Can you please confirm whether you have your Library folder (or any files within it) controlled by source control? The default and desired behaviour for this is for the entire Libary folder to be ignored.

Instead of using two PCs to troubleshoot this, can you also reproduce this issue by creating a second workspace on one of the PCs?

23. sorenandreasen

sorenandreasen

@ollieblanks checking this now and everything in the library folder is ignored except Library/PackageCache/com.unity.renderer-pipelines.universal@14.0.6/Runtime/Materials

the content itself inside this folder is ignored, so I'm actually a bit baffled why this folder is even included at all. should this have any effect on the problem mentioned earlier?

24. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Even if a file is ignored, it can still be explicitly added manually. I would suggest deleting this file from your repository as it is definitely not necessary and could be causing problems.