Search Unity

Question Plastic SCM code review clarity

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Kruczek, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Kruczek

Kruczek

Hello,

Me and my friends have been trying out Plastic SCM as our version control system for a Unity project.

We're trying to use the code review feature, however we find it very difficult to navigate through the things we can actually review. The review pane contains scenes, prefabs, meta files, directiories and all manner of files that are either binary or otherwise not really reviewable.

Is there a way to hide those files from the review process without actually removing them from the repository or pending changes?

2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Plastic is considering all the changes performed in the branch the same. In order to perform a code review, it may require some understanding of a Unity project so you just review the changes in the code files but not in the binary files.
    I'm afraid the code review system doesn't allow you to ignore the changes if they are binary vs text files.

But let me share your feedback with the team.

Regards,
    Carlos.

3. sorenandreasen

sorenandreasen

sorry for necromancing, but i just wanna chime in that it appears to be everything in a certain branch that will included in a newly created code review - not just the changes. coming from an IT department where pull requests was an incredibly important part of our work (where only the changes that would be made in a give merge was under review) this approach seems very strange to me. perhaps what i am looking for here is something else than plastic's notion of a code review?

4. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Let me try to fully understand. When you perform a code review of a branch, it will include in the diff all the file revisions created on that branch. I mean it includes just the changes you performed on that branch. Doesn't it fit with your workflow?

5. sorenandreasen

sorenandreasen

I guess it's the interface that is confusing me here probably: i simply have no idea what other branch the code review branch is being compared to. let's say i have the following branches
    /main
    /main/A
    /main/B
    /main/A/c

if i create a code review for /main/A/c which branch does it compare it to? /main? or /main/A? or ?
    sorry if im being slow here but I dont find this intuitive from the current UI

6. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

When you create a code review for a branch "main/A/c", the diff is compared versus the changeset from where the branch was created (the last changeset of /main/A).

sorenandreasen likes this.
  7. unity_FB82A228F4FEA971AA67

unity_FB82A228F4FEA971AA67

is there any way to create a code review between two different branches like we can do a diff between two branches.

8. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid that this scenario is not currently supported.