Search Unity

Feedback Plastic Client improvements

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Falondrian, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Falondrian

Falondrian

Hello,

I am a long time Perforce user and switched to Plastic because of the cheaper pricing on the centralized cloud subscription. Everything worked fine so far but the Plastic client design is giving me headaches.

1. Add a setting to auto-checkout files if possible (i.e. not locked). Team members should always be able to see if someone else is working on the same file. This is especially important for assets which in most cases are on the auto-lock-list and not mergable.
    2. The grouping of files into added/changed/removed makes analyzing larger commits a real pain. Add a setting to disable this grouping. Instead the file icons get a + or - icon if added/removed.
    3. (Fixed) I always use the "Undo unchanged" action before a commit. Grouping this under "Undo changes" is VERY dangerous, I can already see the moment where I loose all my work.
    4. The changelist workflow is aimed for ex-perforce-users. Then please, copy it properly:
    4.1 Remove the checkboxes. The point of changelists is to group your commits. Having extra checkboxes is super confusing and it costs additional time to check everything. Also it happened to me that I submitted two changelists in one checkin on accident because the second cl was ticked - this should not be possible!
    4.2 (Fixed) Allow moving changed files to changelists even if they are not checked out. It is totally intransparenty why this option is greyed out if a file is just "changed".
    4.3 The checkin comment should be dependant on the selected changelist and contain "<changelist name> - <changelist description>". Why is it a separate thing, what's the point of that?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Falondrian, thanks for your feedback! I'll pass this along to the client design team so that they can take it under consideration.

Falondrian likes this.
  3. Falondrian

Falondrian

Hi @Ryan-Unity, I switched to the new GUI client and it seems 3 and 4.2 are fixed, thank you! Are there any plans to do something about the rest too?

4. Falondrian

Falondrian

Hello, I am still hoping for the above mentioned improvements to the changelist workflow!