Search Unity

Planning my "game"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cosmicmesh, Mar 21, 2009.

1. cosmicmesh

cosmicmesh

Hi all,

New user... Been playing with 2.5 on Windows for a couple of days. After learning to create a simple level and walk around, I'm planning a "game" as a way to continue learning and motivate me to try out new things.

My idea is to mix FPS and Spaceflight in a "short" game prototype... The player would walk around certain game locations in a first-person mode and then fly around space in more of a flight-sim feel. Was hoping some of the more experienced folks could answer a couple of questions as I am getting started here...

1) I am planning to model one area of space (small solar system), as well as two small "planet" locations that the player can visit. I see these as three separate scenes in Unity. Is this the right approach?

2) How "big" can I make the space scene? I obviously need to consider how to handle scale and physics in this environment (space is BIG, games are SMALL!) but I was curious if there was a max size / number of units I should consider?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's a start. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

1. Welcome to unity!

2. Your space level can be as large as you wnat to, but try to put much stuff into the level (asteroids,other space ships, etc...), so that it's not gonna be a boring level. How do you want to limit your level? Will the space ship explode if you are to far away from the center of scene? Will there be many other planets (that you can't visit)?

The best idea is to first think of what you want to put into the scene, nobody likes empty spaces in video games, they are boring. Also, nobody likes space scenes where you keep colliding with planets/asteroids...
    Don't forget to make most of the solar system dynamic, so that the world seems to evolve/change.