Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Planetary Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HenryV, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadlyWrapd

BadlyWrapd

I also get similar errors when saving to assets. Running Win 7 64 bit.

2. GregMeach

GregMeach

Thanks! Wasn't sure if it was only on my Mac - hopefully Henry will patch us up soon :cool:

3. DSebJ

DSebJ

Hi Tom,

I bought RTP because of the support for Planetary Terrain - I hadn't heard of it before but when I saw the screen shots from your asset - with the option to run this on the planet, I was sold. However I'm using PT2.0 and I can't get it working properly with RTP. I followed the instructions in your read me but as it would be, all of the code to update manually, has changed.

Hi HenryV,

Can I petition you to update Tom's copy so we can have this awesome combination working?

Cheers,
    Sebastian

4. BES

BES

Sadly the devs for many of these assets seems to be MIA way too long ...some sort of status report would be nice... tell us your alive and didn't abandon this asset :D

5. quarzwar

quarzwar

quick question:
    Does anyone know how to make a grid around the planet?

Thanks
    Jesper

6. Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Doesn't support DX11 and only supports forward rendering? So this is only good for mobile platforms, yet it's not optimized for mobile, so what is this good for if anything?

Also, the update isn't compatible with my already created modules with v1, so you'll lose everything by updating.

7. mons00n

mons00n

Is there any way to use the modules from v1.x? (Canyon/Lagoons/Peaks/TinyVolcano/etc)

8. rdavid269

rdavid269

:(look I love the editor and the planets and the other stuff in that pack,but can you please,please,please,
    please,please,please,please, lower the price from 1-20 dollars please I know you work hard that pack and the editor so bad to make it good,but the price it too high and I can't afford that and even if my parents can I still won't because we save our money for food clothes and our survival,and $90 is to muchfor us,so can you please lower the price please.im only 13 years old and I never made a game before in my life,and I have to the 13th of may to make my game before my unity licence expires and I can't use it until 2 months.

9. BES

BES

I think I figured out the collision detection issues .... can walk without falling through the terrain now..

Delete the capsule collider on the player character ...give the capsule a sphere collider instead ... keep increasing the radius until the character can walk on the surface ...including the hills ...after that obviously the low parts of the planet might look like your character is flying...so make it so your character is just above the ground when walking on the hills..

I added a frictionless material to the sphere collider on the player character also

Using continuous Dynamic collision detection on the rigidbody also..

This is with the provided character controller with the recent version of Planetary Terrain v2 v2.0 ...

I tested it 5 times now ...seems to be working.

10. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

I am not sure why people are so intent on a gravity system being included in this. If you are too lazy to write such a simple script then go use the one off the unity wiki.

The only times I have had issues with the collision is when I am pushing the capabilities of my computer and the software with how many calculations I am asking it to do, and PT has trouble keeping up.

However I am still a fan of how the old shader system worked, it was very simple and straight forward.

11. BES

BES

There is already a gravity system ...was added in the last update... so I am confused by this..

Yeah I am not sure why the character falls through the terrain on every planet I make ...collisions and LOD levels are all set and enabled ...I tried 3 completely different methods for gravity and character controllers and they all fall through the surface unless I make the collider a sphere on the character with an 8 radius as I mentioned above.. My comp is an 8-core 3.6ghz, 16gigs ram and R9 280X ...so I am not pushing it much even at 8x subdivision..

I agree ...I like how the old shader worked ...was simple and the results were better..

No offense to HenryV though I know he worked hard on this asset..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  12. blackanub1s

blackanub1s

I'm the only one not being able to use RTP V3.1 with Planetary Terrain V2 ?

A tutorial somewhere?

13. DSebJ

DSebJ

I'm not able to use it either. RTP V3.1 works with version 1 of Planetary Terrain apparently.

Tom / HeneryV haven't confirmed one way or the other (see my post, about 10 posts before this)

14. blackanub1s

blackanub1s

OK thank you,
    I was afraid I misunderstood.

I hope an update will be made. :s

15. BES

BES

Don't know ...think he may have abandoned this asset ...he hasn't been on in a while ...no response to any questions ...don't like when the devs of bought assets go dark like this..

I like the way the old planet shader material worked ...the results were better ... no offense to HenryV...

16. DevJim

DevJim

The results are better in this new version, i've been using it in a multiplayer 3rd person shooter prototype.

You need to create a material using RTP - triplanar planet shader i think its called, and drop it in the shader tab in the planet inspector.

For placing objects make good use of the LOD levels for the planet and the imposter system, and you can have very nice believable fly-ins to the planet. Dont overdo the object placement.. and for grass i'd recommend adding something to the ground shader, if that's at all possible, not such a good idea to have grass growing out from verts.

Curently the rtp shader messes with the fog controller, it has its own fog system but you should be able to fix that yourself with a bit of tweaking.

If you are at a stage where you are coding gameplay.. Mesh resolution can be changed at runtime! I run at 16 while in a vehicle and 24 while on foot. Not very noticeable and makes all the difference.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Dreamaster likes this.
  17. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

I'm shocked at how impressive your video is :D. Multiplayer 3rd Person? What are you using for your networking solution? I've yet to find a good multiplayer solution durable, and robust, enough that can handle the whole planet.

18. BES

BES

I cannot produce those results ...cant even get the trees to work ...or the grass ...lol

I think its lack of skills on my part ...so I will most likely use "Atmospheric scattering" or "NexGen" assets and "fake" an atmospheric transition to a normal procedural terrain map.. that way I can use a day/night/weather cycle/system with voxel terrain and voxel/dynamic water systems etc.. instead of trying to get them to work for these Planetary terrain planets...

When my skills are better I will come back to this asset..

19. DSebJ

DSebJ

That looks excellent. How big is the planet your using? What does it look like when you fly to it from space?

We've had problems balancing a very large planet radius (80K units) and still being able to generate enough detail on the surface without it looking overly repeated when your flying in to the surface.

20. HenryV

HenryV

Hey guys,

sorry for the silence in the last few weeks. I have been a bit overwhelmed with all the work regarding this and few other projects I am involved in. I am also writing a thesis (regarding procedural generation) with a deadline closing in. Its my bad and I hope you will understand and don't feel too neglected.

I still plan to provide updates for the project and really should update the manual!

Anyone in need of urgent assistance you can also contact me by email at henry@planetaryterrain.com

@WholeNewStudio, ^ impressive stuff!

21. HenryV

HenryV

Sorry about the lack of manual / tutorials on this. RTP works with PT v2 too.

It should be only few steps to set it up:
    1. Create a material with RTP as shader
    2. Drop this material to Planet inspector in the "Shader" tab
    3. Set UV1 type to Spherical

22. HenryV

HenryV

Hey, if you are interested in getting the old shaders to work with the new version it should be very possible. Create a material with the old shader in it, set it up in slot in the shader tab in inspector. You wont need the olde SurfaceColor-script though, instead you can adjust the parameters directly in the material.

23. HenryV

HenryV

Sorry, but it is not possible due to binary serialization issues.. (Though the final thing that broke the serialization was the adding of everything in a namespace.. So it might work to take everything out of the namespace, but cannot quarantee that.)

It should be possible to recreate those module though. I did create most of the original v1 modules in few minutes each, but of course I have the advantage of knowing the whole system inside out. Perhaps I'll port some of the over, but in the meantime I encourage you to experiment and create new modules, that way you might create better ones for your needs.

24. blackanub1s

blackanub1s

Hello HenryV,

No problem, as long as you do not let down the project.

I think there is a problem between incompatible "Planetary Terrain V2" and "Terrain Terrain Pack v3.1".

in "Relief Terrain Pack v3.1" Tomaszek request to make some changes in the scripts of "Planetary Terrain V1.01"

See the following file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45391150/PlanetaryTerrain%20guidelines.txt

25. HenryV

HenryV

Hey, yeah those instructions are meant for the v1 version, v2 doesn't require any of those steps. Just create the material and drag it to the slot in planet inspector and if you use global maps set the UV1 to Spherical. Sorry about the confusion on this!

26. blackanub1s

blackanub1s

Thank you for your interest.
    this is what I did, but there is as an artifact in the middle of my planet

$RTPandPT01.jpg

27. HenryV

HenryV

Try this out:
    • Find function called "GetSphericalUv" in Surface.cs (around line 775)
    • The first line starts with "Vector2 uv = new Vector2();"
    • In that line there should be a commented out bit, uncomment it and remove the "new Vector2();" that was before it
    • So the line now reads: "Vector2 uv = new Vector2(Mathf.Atan2(vertex.z, vertex.x)/Mathf.PI*0.5f+0.5f, vertex.y*0.5f+0.5f);"
    • Comment out the next 2 lines "uv.x = ..." and "uv.y = ..."

That could fix the problem. After doing that it is as Tomaszek wrote the UV calculation, I changed it afterwards to make the texture generation global maps to match the uvs and that might have produced this artifact.

28. Wavinator

Wavinator

Hi HenryV. Can you tell me if there's any support for generating planets at runtime from a seed? Or is it more of an editor / prefab process? I'm interested in purchasing PT for an open universe game but wondering what would be needed to generate the planets.

29. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Wow this asset looks awesome just stumbled on this thread.

Just to confirm I can save my generated planet to an .fbx file? or an .obj? Hm guess you cant export it huh

30. HenryV

HenryV

Hey, yeah you can generate the planets from a seed. The workflow has been designed so that you first create a gameobject with the planet script in it, tweak the parameters in the editor to get the kind of planet you want, and save that as a prefab without the meshes (basically just a empty gameobject with a script and your parameters). After that you can set it to automatically generate when instantiated or call planet.Generate() to create the actual model.

Well the system automatically saves the models as Unity's own asset file format, so they appear as mesh files in the project, but you cannot load those files in an external editor such as Blender etc. However there are model exporter scripts available (such as this http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=ExportOBJ) that you can use to export to files in a more appropriate format.

31. blackanub1s

blackanub1s

Thank you HenryV, but it changed nothing. I think I fixed my problem by adding the script "ReliefTerrainVertexBlendTriplanar" directly on my planet.

I made a compilation of test including the following:
    Suimono,RTP,SpaceGraphicsToolkit,CloudsToy and Planetary Terrain

you can download the EXE to this address: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45391150/RTPandPT.zip

32. BES

BES

33. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Thanks Henry!

34. kulesz

kulesz

Is it possible to change planet heightmap/materials at runtime? Some kind of explosions leaving craters etc?

35. GregMeach

GregMeach

Seems this was overlooked in the recent replies from HenryV
    Would appreciate a response - thanks :cool:

36. eagle999

eagle999

I have exactly the same problem. Also the planet is not casting shadows as a mesh placed under the surface receives light from one side.

Has anyone solved this? Thanks.

37. HenryV

HenryV

Hey, so it appears there is a problem with saving the material because it already exists in the project. In this case saving the material at all might not be necessary as it already exists and you could just use it.

But to fix this error we need to make few adjustments to how the material is saved:

In PlanetEditor.cs, replace lines 209-212 with this:

Code (csharp):
    2. if(mat == null) {
    3.     mat = new Material(surfaces[i].renderer.sharedMaterial);
    4.     planet.terrainMaterial = mat;
    5.     AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(mat, path + surfaces[i].name.ToString() + "Material.mat");
    6. }
    7. surfaces[i].renderer.sharedMaterial = mat;
    So now instead of trying to save the material (which already exists in the project) it creates a new material that is a copy of the original material.

38. GregMeach

GregMeach

Awesome - thanks HenryV!

Patched up a new project and exported it as PlanetaryTerrain_v2.0.1p
    :cool:

39. SeanPollman

SeanPollman

I am experimenting in our game, and I swapped out our planets with PlanetaryTerrain ones, but it seems that for some reason when they are spawne din (By our galaxy generator) I do not see any landmass.
    $lXHvfuu.png

If I pause the scene and inspect the planet, the child objects for the terrain are there, but they have no visuals at all.

Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

40. GregMeach

GregMeach

Re: Unity 4.5
    Just a heads up; the Nodes.cs (I think that's the file name) causes THIS error (as do several other asset packages). Something about recursive/null serialization.

...and the FIX here

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  41. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

I am having these problems as well. Anyone who knows how to setup shadows to work, your info would be greatly appreciated.

42. Sporkmonger

Sporkmonger

I'm seeing the same banding artifact that blackanub1s was reporting when using spherical UV, except that I can duplicate with both RTP and my own custom shaders. It's clearly not an RTP specific issue and both shaders work fine on simple spherical meshes. Also the banding artifact happens only along a single longitudinal patch of tris. Increase the number of subdivisions/mesh resolution and the banding gets smaller. The fix suggested by HenryV did not work; same banding appeared both before and after uncommenting stuff.

43. BES

BES

Sooo... how would I get a "before version 2" of this asset? ... since I cant find a copy anywhere on my computers or backup drives and I normally back up everything..
    The older version of this asset(before version2) worked better for my purposes.. got better results from space...looked more realistic also..
    No offense to HenryV but he SHOULD have an older version of this asset somewhere ...since he made it.. or he should remember HOW he made the first one(latest version before version 2) ..

44. crunchyoverseas

crunchyoverseas

Hi henry,

Interested in using this for a godsim, I need a planet similar to one you see in populous:the beginning. Does it include a gravity system?

45. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

Painting terrain only works on the top and bottom surfaces. My planet is split into 6 pieces.

46. Miguel Gorjao

Miguel Gorjao

Hi every body Im new here im trying unity for about couple of weeks i`m 3d sculptor and animator i`m trying to working with planetary terrain but when i choose a module and generate all the planet is pink why this happen can anybody help-me out Thanks a lot in advance!

47. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

If anyone who has gotten shadows working on the planet surfaces I would really appreciate knowing how this was done.

48. DSebJ

DSebJ

You need to add a shader. On the planet, go to the shader tab and then select a material.

49. DSebJ

DSebJ

It does include a basic gravity implementation in the FPS character and attracts the character towards the planet. To use it, you just turn gravity off of your rigid body's and replace it with the gravity script. Actually quite simple.

50. DSebJ

DSebJ

How big is your planet? Do you see it on smaller planets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.