Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Planetary Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HenryV, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starnity

starnity

Hello HenryV,
    Now I use Unity 5.3.2f
    Why havn't appear "Planet Terrain" in Game Object tab?
    later version unity change the menu arrange,
    not have "create other"
    That's not same in ur video tutorial as start

2. Cliftonm

Cliftonm

You're going to have to run the API updater, and fix any errors that pop up. That should get it working.

3. Doctor06

Doctor06

I was able to fix all the errors and I get it to a running state but the shaders are messed up and purple as if the shaders were missing. What would you suggest? Do I also have to update the code in the shaders? Have you encountered this?

4. Cliftonm

Cliftonm

Yes, I've had this. Only some of the materials are deprecated. Make a new material, and change the shader to PlanetaryTerrain/TexturedPlanet. Add textures, change colors, and it should be good. To add it, go into your planet, click shader and add the material to it.

5. MachoBrizzin

MachoBrizzin

I'm not able to save my planets as an asset.I click "Save to Assets" and a windows opens allowing me to choose the location to save, when I click "save" nothing happens. The window stays open and there's nothing saved in the directory. Anyone else having this problem?

6. Smalls_2

Smalls_2

So... I've managed to get everything settled except the shaders, PlanetaryTerrain/BumpedPlanet and PlanetaryTerrain/BumpedPlanetPoleTexture which both show 1 error "Shader error in '<<insert mentioned faulty shader>>': Too many texture interpolators would be used for ForwardBase pass (12 out of max 10) at line 50 (on )" both at the same point

Code (CSharp):
    1.         CGPROGRAM
    2. #pragma surface surf BlinnPhongEditor  fullforwardshadows
    3. #pragma target 3.0
    4. #pragma glsl
    can anyone provide some detail on why this is and how to fix it? TBH I'm still learning the ins and outs of Unity and have a very vague grasp on shaders....

7. Razmot

Razmot

#pragma target 4.0
    would give you 16 max.
    SM4 is supported on GF 8600, Radeon HD2000 and more. pc hardware from 9 years ago ...

8. Darkworth

Darkworth

Have seen a couple comments like this, and I have gotten most of it working fine... but have any of you managed to fix the atmosphere? (guessing its the shader at fault). It just renders as a solid color band around the visible edge of the planet... You never visibly pass through it and it just looks like this...

9. Cliftonm

Cliftonm

I've been using the atmosphere from the Space Graphics Toolkit. It's much better.

10. Darkworth

Darkworth

I was able to get all of the shaders working using a fix here I had overlooked, while I had gone through and set them to SM4 and done some suggested fixes for alpha, the initializing of inputs was what finally fixed them. However thank you for the suggestion, the SGT atmosphere is definitely much better! :)

On another note, is anyone having issues with changes made in the module editor not saving? I fixed the planets not saving to a prefab issue but whenever I try to edit a module or create a new module it only saves the first generator node, nothing else is there when reopening the module... additional generators, none of the operators, and the output... they are all missing as if they never got written to the file. This definitely kills any hope of using this addon as without it you cannot make custom planets outside of the modules it comes with.

Thanks in advance.

11. DevJim

DevJim

The saving of modules needs to be fixed in Unity 5, I haven't got around to it on Stars End as yet. For terrain editing I have a test scene in Unity 4 and bring over a txt file once I'm happy with the results.

12. Asanay

Asanay

13. GregMeach

GregMeach

So you are saying that instead of destroying the LOD meshes, you simply disable them (.SetActive(false) )

Does/did this resolve a particular problem?

Thanks

14. Asanay

Asanay

And shut down the net is + performance + saving position plachment helper objects
    Tested to 100 planets in one scene ...
    I have little understanding of the code ... why not come up with nothing looks more ...

Так же можно использовать замену скрипта Surface...
    У меня почти как no man sky )))

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    GregMeach likes this.
  15. neoshaman

neoshaman

I wanted this asset to study the logic, but it is deprecated, ie there another way to obtain it :(

16. Mulbin

Mulbin

I'm assuming this asset has been abandoned by the creator? Does anyone know of another, good procedural planet generator?

17. neoshaman

neoshaman

There is two others I found after posting that, they all seem complementary, assuming you can meddle the code source, having all three and learning the implementation and failure would have been a great lesson!

planet size planet generator:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/30263
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3151

Spherical stuff:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/65466
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/398
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/63393
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/63333
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20550
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34316

Now you have to understand than having a planet generator by itself isn't enough, their is many issue to solve as you have to reinvent and readapt most thing that worked for flat upright terrain with small size! Physics, coordinate, walking, camera, etc ...

18. iLawn

iLawn

hi all !
    Anybody try to save Planet thru Unity serialization (ng version)?
    After load saved game Planet Terrain don't re-generated (
    Thanks before %)

19. patchworkx

patchworkx

hye out there : is someone still workin on that project/asset...--
    i cannot find it anymore on the asset store..- documentation isn`t findable webside down..-
    by
    studying the threat..--i see a-lot hands on that ..

has someone imprufed and fixed the assed so far?
    is someone in a mood to reorganice an new version to put on the asset store?
    will be happy to have it well documentaded back in the asset store- or privatly downloadeable..--

20. Asanay

Asanay

21. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Asset was abandoned most likely

22. Mazak

Mazak

It has been removed from the store long ago

23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Thread closed. Asset no longer available.

Mazak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.