Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Planetary Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HenryV, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingJackal

FlyingJackal

Really sucks this dosnt work with Unity 5, and that the author has been MIA for months. Sad, cause i could use something like this right about now.

2. BES

BES

Yeah I just tested this in Unity 5 ...some of the planets work ...other ones have gone pink... some pro only features that used to not work should be working now..... and I keep getting errors ...

on the bright side ...now my "Ethereal Planets" asset works like a charm now ...even the features that were previously PRO only...lol...before it didn't work... even though it has crappy terrain mesh ...character cant walk on it atm..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

Tons of people saying Planets no longer work in Unity5, and some saying they do.

Additionally, it seems Henry is NOT dead as he logged in today to look around etc (according to Unity forums). So maybe we'll see some news about this very soon :)?

I still believe Spherical Terrain is the future over flat-terrain maps. However, we still can't treat planets are "Terrain" objects yet it seems :(?

4. HenryV

HenryV

Hey, yeah the asset is partially broken on Unity 5. Most visibly with the normal mapped terrain shaders, they do not compile now because they exceed the texture interpolator limits. I recently upgraded to Unity 5 myself so I will do an update for this too soon. Sorry about the silence. The reports of my death might be slightly exaggerated.

About the future of Planetary Terrain. I think there are few fundamental problems currently with the system. First of all I am not really satisfied with the performance of the LOD. It makes me think that perhaps run-time generation using the CPU might just not be good enough for larger planets. Using the GPU would be much better, though that approach would bring its own down sides. Another approach would be to pre-generate the data and save it on disc, then just load them like many paged terrain systems do.

A question for users: would you rather have a smaller planet that would be completely customizable similar to the regular Unity terrain, or a really massive planet (approaching realistic sizes) that would have limited customizability?

5. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

I've personally found realistic to be completely unusable for a game.

However, something large enough to where curvature of the planet isn't noticeable at first-person-camera height (aka: like real life-ish), but small enough to where it is usable for play-ability concerns.

I THINK previously 1/1000th was large enough, or made 1/100th the size of earth as the MAX sizes. So long as a player standing on the surface cannot visibly see the curvature of the planet (aka: the planet being too small) it should be large enough. Scaling down from there should be good enough.

I would KILL for this to be customizable similar to the regular unity terrain editor. If we could treat planets as if they were a normal generated terrain it would make it compatible with all of these new terrain-based extensions and plugins usable.

The end goal, at least for me, is an asset that allows developers to create plane OR spherical terrains to be used for gaming.

For my personal project I'm working on ramping up soon, again, I need a spherical planet as my "World" instead of a terrain, because I want surface -> atmospheric flight -> back again. As the primary mode of end-game transportation will be flying vehicles without zone-lines etc.

Looks like I came back at the exact perfect time for Henry to pick this up again, yay :D!

[Edit-ed Mention]: I'd like to bring to point a feature i've been wanting hardcore for world editing. Is it possible to write into the asset editor-level camera control for world populating/editing purposes?

Example: When I zoom in on the scene-view for placing buildings and/or editing the terrain for a "content area" like a dungeon or city it'd be GREAT if the scene-view camera could auto-rotate to the planet's orientation so I'm not looking at it upside down-etc.

6. Razmot

Razmot

I' m for option 2 - the planetary rendering should handle really massive planets.

My personal design choice is to have a flat terrain for on foot gameplay and a spherical representation for space. My flat terrain is in fact voxel based - with pseudorandom generated biomes and content. So the perfect planetary terrain asset for me would be one that lets you feed it with flat biome / height data in cartesian coordinates and just handles the spherical representation at various lod levels. I think CPU based is way simpler to handle then.

As for transition between flight and landing, I'm not even sure it's really so important. I mean it's capital for flight sims, but for a game with space + on foot content, FPS / RPG and such things, an animation somewhat like mass effect, or just a little more dynamic would work fine. Even a good old loading screen could work - for an indie game ;)

7. danreid70

danreid70

I'm all for the smaller planets with all the fun stuff we could do to it for variety... True size "huge planets" would be a scale too large for most gameplay. I've been using this kit with a planetoid size (around 50000 units) and its big enough to walk around on and drive and set up small mining colonies, yet small enough that my trans-orbital ships can still feel dwarfed by it and fly around outside the atmosphere and gravity and still traverse down to planet side to disembark/deploy ground based units.

So... I'm all for smaller planets, so I can get some good terrain and detailed plant-life and such...

That's what one of my next steps will be: populating the planets with props and plant life. Good timing! Was wondering best way to start working on that - some slick tools would be awesome! And if atmosphere effects could be upgraded to unity 5 that would rock! A way to quickly place a planets worth of prefabs varying by height/etc, with fast draw calls.

What ever happened to that system where we could set equator/polar caps textures? I remember earlier version was able to pull off some cool effects but haven't been able to get it to work since 2nd major upgrade.

HenryV, welcome back! Hope all is well and your away time from the forums wasn't a bad thing? Looking forward to what you have in store for this kit!

8. BES

BES

I was thinking ...planets like in:
    X²: The Threat
    X³: Reunion
    X³: Terran Conflict
    X³: Albion Prelude
    X Rebirth
    pic
    really massive looking up close ... but that seems to be unrealistic...

What I would really like is being able to walk on the surface,land on the surface with ships and such, place biomes, trees,grass,plants, water with waves that you can swim in..
    Think, No Man's Sky type planets
    ...but not that crazy or complicated .... being able to use meshbrush type tools to paint on the grass,trees and such would be helpful.

9. sanuvin

sanuvin

I would buy it if you offered highly detailed small planets.

10. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

"Small" being the relative term here.

The problem the gaming industry had now is that spherical terrains are nearly impossible for indie companies to pull off that can serve the same purpose as flat terrains (ie: gameplay environments).

It has to be large enough (hence why i mentioned 1/100th or 1/1000th earth size) so that they cannot see the curve of the planet when standing on ground level, but small enough so it can suffice an ENTIRE "world" that a normal game would.

"Massive" would be something like 1/10 or 1:1 earth size (or larger).

Please keep in mind you are currently the only one providing a spherical solution for terrain and/or playable planets. No one else is providing this, or plans to.

Also, putting functionality to be native supportable for RTP is essentially a requirement. :p

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try Spherical Terrain
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/spherical-terrain-editor.274721/

Or

Planet Terrain Editor & Generator
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20550

12. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

Neither of those assets give what Planetary Terrain has given in the past (that is simply unfortunately broken currently).

"Planetary Terrain Generator" was never meant to be used in a first-person world map situation. It's primarily meant for, and was designed, as a "backdrop" planet generator.

The other one is an "everything done manually sphere editor". It isn't a Planetary Terrain Generator. You'd have to manually draw the whole planet, and even then it couldn't be on a large enough scale to be useful.

:( I've already looked at them, trust me.

13. BES

BES

Thats not entirely true... Space Graphics Toolkit provides a spherical solution for terrain .....it isn't as good as Planetary Terrain currently but you can still make planets that you can walk on and place objects on ...it supposedly uses Unity mesh..

I originally used Space Graphics Toolkit with Space for Unity....with Ethereal Planets to make this:
    ....I just wanted to improve my space scene with Planetary Terrain ...since the planets look the best ... I never could get Planetary Terrain planets working like I wanted them to though ...as far as ground level stuff and the nodes and the shader system... since the shaders would always act oddly and not look as they should.. well the second version of the shader system in Planetary Terrain...the first version worked how I wanted them to.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm using Spherical Terrain because Planetary Terrain is giving me such a hard time. I will admit it's annoying to have to make the planet manually.

15. ZJP

ZJP

Proland for Unity.

16. exiguous

exiguous

Well, I'm not sure that its appropriate to hijack the thread and "advertise" other related products here.

I think PT is the most advanced planet generator and the most feature rich. But unfortunately also one of the most "not working" one. If the issues would get fixed (colliders!) it would be king of the hill again and deserve its price tag. currently its only a time and money sink.

As far as I'm aware this is only a LOD solution and no generator. But I could be mistaken.

But you understand the frustration your customers have when paying close to 100 bucks for your product and be left alone with the problems it raises. Thats bad customer relationship and press.

Before you introduce new features you should fix the existing problems first. incase you vanish again we have at least a better working product (for the moment, until UT changes stuff again).

I agree that large scales create much problems and is not worth the effort. just walk 1 hour in one direction (in real world scale!) and see how "boring" it is. I can't imagine that people want that in games. the size of objects, movement speed etc are scaled to "fun" values anyway so its not really required to have PT provide it IMO. So if i get working "small" planets [edit] with Colliders + RTP support [/edit] I'm happy.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  17. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

I would prefer mid sized, certainly not realistic sized. Realistic sized is just a bunch of unused play area.

A planet with a radius of only 80km (1 unity unit to 1 meter scale) results in a map surface area size of over 80,000sq km. That is more than twice the largest game world ever created for a video game (Guild Wars: Nightfall at 39000sq km).

Either way, my usage goes from 10km radius to 100km radius.

GregMeach likes this.
  18. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

This --^

I mentioned it before, but one of the largest problems with spherical terrains is that if the planet is too small it is extremely "noticable" and kind of removes immersion from your game. "Oh, I'm walking on a ball" is kind of weird feeling.

However, going past 30km radius and up the horizon isn't as easily viewed as belonging to a sphere until you start gaining altitude. I WANT people to fly in the upper atmosphere and see it is a planet, but then when they land on the surface they do not see a massively curved horizon. I think I found that occured around 50k radius (1 unity unit == 1 meter scale as mentioned before).

Right between 10k and 100k sounds perfect to me honestly, and 64bit makes it possible to go beyond 500k (literally 10% of this planet would only be used for gameplay lol!).

Dreamaster likes this.
  19. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'd certainly consider a highly editable "small" planetary terrain (not realistic size),
    something you could go from space to ground level.
    At ground level I'd like to be able to represent, with some realism, the actual game playing area,
    so I could transition into actual "on the ground" (normal Unity Terrain) play area.

GregMeach likes this.
  20. BES

BES

There are too many varying responses about planet sizes already ....technically you can shrink your player character and change camera perspectives to make it appear that the planet your character is on is larger than it really is at ground level..

The main points:
    #1: Surface of the planets (when walking/driving on the surface) need to not show planet curvature..
    #2: Biomes
    #3: need to be able to place grass,trees,bushes,buildings and other things on the surface
    #4: built-in water system that has waves and foam and reflections and such(customizable though)
    #5: digging tunnels and stuff
    #6: I liked the sculpting in planetary terrain if it wasn't bugged badly
    #7: improve the terrain collisions when walking on the surface so the character doesn't keep getting stuck
    #8: planet size shouldn't really matter and be up to the person making the game ...what if I wanted multiple solar systems of planets using the streaming system(streaming scenes together)? ...I wouldn't want every planet to be exactly the same size there needs to be variation..

You didn't look at the video I posted then....I told you its several different planet generator assets in one scene...the moon is from the Ethereal Planets asset(previously indie version...now the PRO version works in Unity 5), the big planet is from Space Graphics Toolkit ...the difference is that Space Graphics toolkit needs a pre-generated terrain texture and/or a six sided set of textures in a specific order(made in L3DT and/or World Machine or some other terrain generator) ...THEN you add the tiled texture details ...its a pain in the ass ....but it can be used as a planet generator ....
    Ethereal Planets on the other hand generates planets like planetary terrain....all you do is plug in the textures and adjust heights...including water height ....but its no longer supported by the dev and the collision mesh is messed up...its way above the actual terrain mesh and the character looks as if flying when on the surface..

I chose Planetary Terrain because it looked like the best solution... I assumed HenryV would be more active and was on top of things like other asset devs ... so took a risk and grabbed it..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  21. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

Point #4 isn't needed to be provided by Planetary Terrain. We have Suimono which is essentially a solution that deals with the water plane itself which im told it may work with planets. Not sure yet but integrating that would be cool, but I imagine Henry won't want to deal with that as we can do it ourselves most likely.

Point #2, Biomes are a little harder to do, and isn't necessarily something we "need". We could just as easily "paint" a Biome itself on our own time. The whole point here is to get a planet generation system that cuts development time down considerably. We aren't talking real-time planet generation like "No Man's Sky". We're talking about procedurally generating planets to save countless hours for art and world creation. I'd also like to point out that using RTP you can create "Biomes" yourself. So again, RTP is very important to this project since it is a "Terrain Solution", however creating an entirely new system for Biomes by Henry isn't something realistic.

Point #5 would be really cool, but again I'm worried about development time on Henry's part. It may be just as possible to create "tunnels" manually by erasing pieces of the terrain and masking it yourself. I'd like to hear Henry's take on this though.

As for the point about changing your character's size to change the "Scope" of the planet, that is NOT an option. Several past solutions have presented SEVERE issues with changing your character's size in order to make the world "larger". It completely screws up animations, and a whole bunch of other errors directly related to size need to be completely rewritten with MANY unity assets as they generally default to unity's known scale of 1m == 1 unity unit.

The size of the PLANET is VERY important. Anywhere between 10km and 100km is generally the size that is needed from the discussion had on this forum so far. If you need something smaller I suggest the other mentioned assets as they don't deal with actual "playable" world size planets (if you could even call them planets due to how small they are?).

Lastly if you need a planet larger than 100km that seems to be far outside the scope of this project. Anything above 100km isn't actually "playable" space. It's just too large. Even 1 million players at any given time would have trouble finding one or two other people given that size.

22. BES

BES

I have several water assets... Water Plus, Dynamic Water, Easy Water, Fluvio3 Pro ...none of them can do proper water for planets ...except maybe one ..and its not very good...doesn't look very realistic.. I have no more money in my budget at this time to buy another water system or any other assets..for quite a while..

23. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

Wait for someone to confirm about Suimono then bud :)! I can't do it myself yet because the asset is broken :(. The older Suimono version when PT worked did work well. We'll see though!

24. DevJim

DevJim

@HenryV welcome back!
    My team and I are still actively using PT for Stars End which is multiplayer now with quite a few fixes on top of the original PT asset. (ill upload some recent footage when i get a sec) We have combined foliage render and placement helper into a surfacemanager script with quite a few extra features thrown ontop. We are using it in Unity 5 with RTP3.2 and Suimono water adapted for planets.

Our planets are currently sized at 30 - 50k. At this size they also suffer from floating point issues, where the surface is so far from the planets origin there is a small, sometimes noticable shake on the terrain. While im working on a fix for this myself (more of workaround) I'm very interested in your comment of offloading LOD to the GPU. Going against other users comments Id rather something big like this be implemented rather than small fixes that are probably trivial anyway.

Looking forward to seeing a continuation of this asset!

EDIT: I've uploaded some footage

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  25. exiguous

exiguous

Depends on type of game. I fe need only "dead" planets without life/ecosystems.

Is also special for a certain type of game. Not required by most.

Isn't that what i told in my comment? SGT manages the LOD but don't GENERATE planets itself.

Anyway, I get the impression that you want a solution that includes every "thinkable" feature what you might want/need somewhen. But lets stay realistic. If HenryV don't need them I guess he will not include them. If you need a highly customized solution you will have to build it yourself/ontop and can't expect HenryV to do all the work for you for this little price.

So please lets focus on fixing the existing stuff first before getting wet dreams of what features to include next. A broken asset uses noone no matter what features it has.

26. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

----^

27. BES

BES

Yes that would be nice ...but a while ago I decided to do a "fake" atmospheric transition to a regular terrain map... and just use the same atmosphere the planet uses... and keep the same rotations and stuff by locking them to the same hierarchy(terrain can face the camera as you transition through the fake atmosphere) and use "landing zones" that you can lock onto..
    Since none of these planet generators actually have the things I need and my programming isn't good enough to modify the code to get what I need/want.
    I will keep looking at this thread though and grabbing the updates for it when/if they appear.

It can ...but it looks toony and unrealistic unless you use the method I said...

Razmot likes this.
  28. Deleted User

Deleted User

My planets are within the floating point limitation. I'm primarily an artists, therefore having to write an extra code with uScript isn't my idea of fun.

My planets (for example see Capture1), are large enough not to notice the curvature. Each one of my planets are scaled to 480 (X,Y & Z coordinates) and placed in the center of the map (3,000-X , 0-Y , 0-Z transform coordinates). They were created using Cinema 4D (Spherical landscape) and Cinema 4D's gradient shader.

To avoid any floating point issues, I created a spherical skybox (as you can see in Capture2), that serves as the space backdrop. Once a ship reaches the skybox, that ship will move onto the next unique planet.

I'm not hijacking this thread, it's just that PT was amazing at first. But when I started having complications using it (and using other spherical planet asset), I decided to make a planet on my own. If PT could support Unity 5, continue to provide an atmosphere (and the shader) and include a helpful user guide, I'm willing to return to using it. I really miss the terrain noise that PT produced, the terrain created on Cinema 4D is nowhere near as good (especially when a character is walking on the planet).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  29. DevJim

DevJim

No coding required. By using RTP3.2 and another atmosphere from the store the Unity 5 issues are mostly resolved. You will get some non-serialized warnings shown in the editor, but the only difference here is that Unity is now showing these warnings where it wouldn't in unity 4. See the video in my last post to see PT running in Unity 5.

30. BES

BES

Ok... Dumb question probably ....are those extra terrain features in that video actual models or just billboards?

And it looks very good ...great job ..thanks for showing a video.

Also this error
    I commented out the first [System.Serializable()] in Node.cs and the errors stopped ...I don't know C# very well ...I assume I didn't break anything since stuff still works..

Also in the massive planet scene, the character controller was flying off into space(like bouncing off the planet and into space ..violently) ...now it doesn't do that after I made that one change...

And RTP terrain shaders work just fine on the planets as said above...

Only other issue I am getting is that there is some odd black flickering lines on the ground when walking on the planet in the massive planet scene... I assume that's related to RTP...so will keep messing with it...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  31. BFips

BFips

Hi!

I've being trying to create a model of a planet. The point is to see the planet from space, and slowly enter in the atmosphere and land. With LOD.

I've tried the PT, but I'm already using Unity5, and I get everything pink. Considering that, and all the other plugins here presented, in your opinion (those who post those plugins here), which / it the most suitable for my project?

PS: I don't pretend anything very realistic, in fact, I even pretend to make it more like a cartoon. Trying something with cel shading maybe?

32. DevJim

DevJim

Thanks! They are models, i removed the imposter system when i was revising how foliage objects work, I may add it back in at some point, but the general idea for Stars End is to have procedural models that decrease in quality/poly's over distance.

No answer for this one yet unfortunately but im looking into it.

33. evilseed

evilseed

I was able to get the shaders working in Unity 5 by forcing SM4 and initializing the output.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma target 4.0
    3. ...
    5. void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) {
    6.     UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input, o);
    7. }

Dreamaster and GregMeach like this.
  34. BES

BES

<--- using Planetary Terrain

Dreamaster and Deleted User like this.
  35. carmine

carmine

Hello, the links to your website (in the asset store) aren't working. I'd love to try a webplayer preview of this before buying.

Thanks!

36. GregMeach

GregMeach

Pretty sure that WILL break node data from being saved in the Editor. I added this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     [System.NonSerialized] protected Node[] inputs;
    and removed the errors.

Thanks for the "patch" for the Atmosphere shader mentioned above.

I'm still looking to "patch" the BumpedPlanet shader as I get this error:
    If I change the shader to use 4.0 code (#pragma 4.0) my iMac lists:
    For the life of me I cannot see the 12 textures to try and reduce them to 10.

37. GregMeach

GregMeach

smaller planet size please

38. ViperG

ViperG

I'm looking for big planets!
    Also does this work with unity 5?

39. BES

BES

The Video I posted above shows it works in Unity 5 certain shaders turn the planet pink though ....and other errors will occur..

40. eagle999

eagle999

I've found a fix for the BumpedPlanet shader in Unity 5. I've changed the target of the shader from 3.0 to 5.0 (in line 52 of the shader file) and that fixed the compilation error and now my planet is not pink anymore as the shader works.

41. piacentini

piacentini

It might work on your desktop machine with the latest version of DX, but the shader will still fail on older systems and on mobile. Windows Phone and BB for example support SM2 only, and I believe the older iPads will only work with SM2 (or 3) as well.

GregMeach likes this.
  42. neff11

neff11

Spend money for nothing :/ everything is pink i downloaded unity 4.6 for export my planet to 5.0 and still pink anyone can help me to solve the problem?

43. GregMeach

GregMeach

Scroll up for:
    However, that doesn't fix the PlanetaryTerrain/BumpedPlanet.shader <- that one needs to be re-written for Unity 5 (or change it's version to 5.0, and not run on anything but new gaming PC's)

Edit: of course changing it to ShaderModel 4 ALSO limits you from (all?) mobiles and many other non-PC build types

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  44. neff11

neff11

not understanding

45. GregMeach

GregMeach

Sure, stick with using Unity 4.6 until this asset package gets updated for Unity 5.

46. neff11

neff11

any version work, same problem with all

47. kzaurckichz

kzaurckichz

An in-between size, like 10 to 100 km radius is perfect.
    I've been working on a space sim using Planetary Terrain and RTPv3 for more than a year.
    In my opinion, The best possible radius to look realistic as a space sim is 100km (1/60th of the real earth), no need to be bigger.
    5 to 10 km also works for small moons and things like that.
    Smaller than that is just not realistic at all for a space sim or if you want good graphics in your game.
    It all depends on if you want a Space sim with nice graphics or a cartoonish arcade game.

48. rdavid269

rdavid269

how do you make this one if find this one most interesting and if you do know show me how to do the module for the planet in the image

49. rdavid269

rdavid269

how do you make this one if you know please show me how to make it

50. patchworkx

patchworkx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.