Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Planet Workshop - Procedural planet generator and exporter

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by carlpilot, Jun 23, 2021.

1. carlpilot

carlpilot

Hello all,

I've just released Planet Workshop, a custom procedural planet editor and exporter. With Planet Workshop, you can create and customise your planet with layered noise, random and height-based colours, craters and more, then export heightmaps, textures and 3D models.

Exported planets from Planet Workshop can be imported into Unity, Blender, other 3D modelling/rendering software and more. Textures are exported as equirectangular maps in PNG format and 3D models are exported as UV-unwrapped OBJ files for wide support and nearly drag-and-drop performance.

I created Planet Workshop in Unity 2021.1.4f1 and the crater generation was my first adventure into compute shaders. Overall, Planet Workshop is optimised to generate and export planets within a second or two on a moderately powerful computer, and future updates will likely contain even more performance improvements. For the best performance, I recommend using a lower mesh resolution (127 or 255) to preview the planet and only increase beyond there for final exports. More information in the included readme.

Planet Workshop is available for free (or pay-what-you-want) on Itch.io and the source code is available on my GitHub repository.

Download link: https://carlpilot.itch.io/planet-workshop
    GitHub repository: https://github.com/carlpilot/Planet-Workshop

Source code uses the Apache licence but anything you create with Planet Workshop is entirely yours to do as you please with.

bb8_1, Maelasae and StevenPicard like this.
  2. Amon

Amon

This is cool!

carlpilot likes this.