Search Unity

Bug Planar reflection probe not working in VR

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Sheynes, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Sheynes

Sheynes

EDIT : Ticket issue to upvote :
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...s-misaligned-for-both-eyes-when-vr-is-enabled

Hello there !
    So i've been playing with realtime planar reflection prob as a mirror alternative for VR, and so far, it doesn't work as intended.
    You can see in the 2nd attached picture that my reflected finger is too much on the left, for my left eye (and for my right eye, the finger is reflected too much on the right). I bet the reflection doesn't take in account the stereo position of the eyes. So it makes it unusable in VR.

I'm using unity 2019.4.17f1 with HDRP 7.5.3

You can also see in the first screenshot that the reflection is just wrong too for the whole mirror. I am left with no way of making a mirror on HDRP, since shadergraph doesn't allow the keywords unity_CameraProjection in custom nodes.

That would come handy to have this fixed !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  2. Sheynes

Sheynes

Here the issue appear better :

3. Sheynes

Sheynes

So actually I believe it's because the render for the reflection prob happens right in the middle. So it is incompatible with VR. It should be rendered twice when the camera is VR, but it isn't. Is that a bug, or it is just not supported at all ?

4. Sheynes

Sheynes

Up, any news about fixing this issue in futur versions of HDRP ? :D

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Future version? it's version 12 now, and you're on 7. Is it fixed already?

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Also Unity doesn't usually fix bug report posts. They can ignore it or never see it. If you want something fixed or for Unity to TELL you how to fix it, make a bug report via the editor. Usually, Unity will email back with details.

7. Sheynes

Sheynes

So on unity 2021.2.0b7.3246 on HDRP 12.0.0 the VR still do not work with the planar reflection probe
    upload_2021-8-12_22-20-25.png
    upload_2021-8-12_22-21-6.png

We can see clearly that in the scene view (On top) the cylinder hit the "mirror" in the middle.
    While in VR, using the mock HMD from the XR Plug-In management there is an offset in the positions, leading to a wrong stereoscopic issue.

How should I proceed to create an issue ticket ?

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/206336985-How-do-I-submit-a-bug-report-

You can submit a bug report in the Editor by following these steps below:
    1. Click on Help and select Report a bug from the drop-down menu.
    2. Specify from the drop-down menus what the problem is related to and how often this happens.
    3. Enter a valid email address and complete the title and description fields.
    4. Finally, click Send to submit your bug report.
    Once you've done this you can leave the case number in the thread to in case a dev is interested in commenting. Unity will get back in touch by email. Letting it upload a small reproduction project is best.

And perhaps @SebLagarde will already know :)

Sheynes likes this.
  9. Sheynes

Sheynes

Alright I posted the issue :
    upload_2021-8-14_19-5-3.png

10. Sheynes

Sheynes

11. jorgeolothar

jorgeolothar

Is this only an HDRP issue? Is there a solution for Planar Reflections in URP?

12. Sheynes

Sheynes