Search Unity

[PiXYZ Plugin] New CAD File Importer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PiXYZUnity, Jun 6, 2017.

1. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

IMPORT ANY CAD FILE

With PiXYZ PLUGIN, import any CAD file (CATPart, Solidworks, JT, STEP…) with perfect tessellated meshes and limited polygon count.
    See formats supported in PiXYZ PLUGIN

This is the perfect bridge for connecting the engineering & CAD worlds with the gaming world, allowing effortless integration of large 3D assemblies and creation of powerful visualization experiences.

PREPARE YOUR ASSET

At import, access built-in tessellation presets to define mesh quality or create your own settings according to your optimization strategy.
    Create LOD on-the-fly when tessellating your CAD model.
    Apply automatic UV projection mapping (channel 0) and auto-unwrapping (for channel 1 Lightmaps) to your new mesh.

More info on our website: https://www.pixyz-software.com/plugin/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    mgear likes this.
  2. mgear

mgear

This is amazing!

will it be available in the asset store also?
    does the price include updates, until how long/to next version etc?
    the plugin is for editor importing only, not runtime cad importer?

AlanMattano likes this.
  3. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Thanks mgear!

Regarding you questions:
    - The plugin will be available on both PiXYZ web store and Unity asset store.
    - The perpetual license includes all new minor versions. Major versions should be released once a year.

Best,
    PiXYZ Software team

4. jvhgamer

jvhgamer

Is there an option to purchase run-time capabilities?

5. DatDo

DatDo

can not see any plugin for download, is the plugin still available?

6. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Hi,
    CAD import at run-time from our plugin is now available. There is not additional cost for this feature, but each user of the final application will need a PiXYZ Plugin for Unity license to import native CAD file at run-time.

PiXYZ team

7. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Hi,
    The new 2018 version of our Plugin for Unity will be available for download on the 26th of March 2018

8. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Saw the announcement today. We have so far been using 3D Studio Max, SAP 3D Vusal Enterprise Author and Keyshot 7 for CAD translations (and one other tool I don't think we can mention, for a competing engine). All of those tools have their unique quirks and flaws, so it will be interesting to try this one as well.

Does this new partnership with Unity change the pricing? I did not see mention of that in the announcement.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  9. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Hi ekergraphics,
    You can contact us directly for pricing details (contact@pi.xyz). But no worries, it's quite the same.

10. mikko_forsman

mikko_forsman

Hello,

Is there any documentation available for the plugin?

-Mikko F

11. ibyte

ibyte

@oliverschnabel Are the scripts you used in your microsoft demo available somewhere online?

12. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

HI,

If you download and install the trial version on www.pi.xyz/download you'll get access to the documentation

Thanks
    PiXYZ team

13. d_grass

d_grass

Hello PiXYZ,

if i try to import an Creo-File in PiXYZ Studio the error message "CAD API failed error code (-10007)" appears.

Unfortunatly i can not provide you information about the file because it is under nda.

Are you able to help somehow?

With best regards

d_grass

14. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Do you have a support forum?

15. mende

mende

Hi. I downloaded the the trial version of the plugin and try to test it before purchasing it .
    Is the PiXYZ plugin only available for unity pro ?
    I followed the documentation, but Im not able to activate the license in unity.
    After I try to open the license manager window inside of unity I see this error.(see screenshot)
    I also tried some different unity versions without any success.Im working on Mac and use the latest version of the plugin and unity 2018.1.1.f1.

Any help

Attached Files:

developer_unity224 likes this.
  16. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Hi,
    Sorry for this issue. For now the PiXYZ Plugin for Unity only works on Windows with Unity 2017.4 or above.
    We hope to have it on Mac by the end of the year.
    Thanks
    PiXYZ team

17. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Hi,
    We're building a forum but in the meantime you can contact us at contact@pi.xyz
    Thanks

18. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Hi,
    Are you using Unity 2017.4 or above ? Did you try same file in PiXYZ Studio?
    Thanks
    PiXYZ team

19. MarieScala

MarieScala

Hi,

I just try the trial and all works well on Windows.

Then I tried to build for my mobile ( android ) and it tells my invalid license.
    So I tried to connect to my account to validate it, on the app, and I got :

"DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'PiXYZ4Unity'"

You already say it's possible to import in runtime but is it possible on mobile ?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  20. d_grass

d_grass

Ehm .... like I said in PiXYZ Studio ... not in Unity

Thanks again :)

21. Abbasjahir

Abbasjahir

Hi.

I am working in Unity I downloaded PiXYZ Plugin for unity and it will run but Camera movement getting a null reference
    Why any idea?

22. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

How good is this the PiXYZ UV unwrapping? UV projection is very important and difficult task. Little is shown. Can any show a good screenshot other than... :oops:

upload_2018-8-25_22-5-26.png
    From the seller web site 2018

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  23. mrekuc

mrekuc

What is the process of getting a model into unity and retain its animation. I have animated an FBX but every time I bring it into Unity the animation is gone. I tried to re target using the same model (just not imported through PiXYZ) and it's animated but completely out of wack. What is the pipeline for working with animations and PiXYZ importing in unity? @PiXYZUnity

24. optnw

optnw

Hey d_grass,

did you get any answer ?

25. ElinH

ElinH

@PiXYZUnity we are considering changing from polytrans to PiXYZ, but i ran into some problems while testing the trial.
    Is there anywhere a forum for PiXYZ Studio?
    When importing my .stp files with polytrans all materials are assinged. In PiXYZ Studio all materials gets imported but totally lost the link to the geometries.
    Some parts broke while tessellation. When importing the same model with 3DS max default importer the result is much better.
    When identifying and exploding patches is there no option to select backfaces in wireframe mode? Some else it's a really dumb jop to select everything i want to attach.
    Also explode bodys in the CAD menu doesn't has any impact. The manual and also the documentation are really reduced for a product with a yearly price tag over 1k.

26. pneuro

pneuro

I am using latest PiXYZ (PiXYZ4Unity-2018.3.1.r4) on latest version of Unity (Unity 2018.3.0f2 (64-bit)) on a system with PiXYZ licence. The sample scene ImportOnPlay is itself not working on build.

Also, when I imported the package, I got the error:
    The method or operation is not implemented. System.Environment.FailFast (System.String message)

Please check screenshot.

Further, the PiXYZ 2018.1.x won't build at all on .NET 4.x which is required for Entity component system.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  27. HC815

HC815

I tried pixyz, and I can't use the prefab to pass the unitypackage file in the unity project of different computers.
    Through it, the model loses a lot of information, including merging and reorganizing the model and the loss of mesh.

28. blanx

blanx

Hi, I had the change to play with PiXYZ a bit and I am wondering if you plan on adding baking of vertex or texture ambient occlusion as we discovered that it breaks a lot of quality to our models in unity.
    Currently I use faogen to build the vertex AO but I think it would be great to have it all in one tool.

29. VeryRedChris

VeryRedChris

Hey Mate, have you got any further in solving the issue, After a day of searching and fiddling, i'm still stumped.

30. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi. I downloaded the the trial version but when i test it it take alote of time and memory to load just 10mb models.
    is there any configurations to solve that ?

31. zf_forgacs

zf_forgacs

Hello,
    I'm using PiXYZ plugin to import CAD files runtime, so any editor feature is probably won't work. Could you please tell me how can I use the RuleEngine at runtime in any script?
    When I tried to use PiXYZ.Plugin.Unity.Tools.RuleSet.run to use a preconfigured RuleSet to do some adjustements after importing the model, the build failed. It is in the PiXYZPluginUnityEditor.dll which is editor only and if I try to include it the build still fails.
    Is there any way to use the features from the RuleSet without using the rules (like building bounding boxes or moving objects, etc...) or is it possible to somehow use it in a "Standalone x86_64" build?

32. Faye-Euler

Faye-Euler

When I import .stp, pixyz show CAD API failed error code (-1).
    I use pixyz for unity 3x. Please give me a solution about it.

33. TeamSoftware

TeamSoftware

@PiXYZUnity

Hello,
    is it possible to use the PiXYZ Unity plugin within a final application only. What does "only one file at a time and batch processing not allowed" mean in this context?

Is there an extra licence model for cases you need to import more then one cad file at a time and include all files into a batch process?

34. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

Hello everyone. Thanks a lot for your interest & questions regarding PiXYZ technology and the PiXYZ Plugin for Unity.
    Shall you have any question or request regarding PiXYZ, please contact us directly using this email : contact@pi.xyz or through the PiXYZ Helpdesk : https://pixyzsoftware.freshdesk.com/support/home

We'll be happy to answer all your questions !
    PiXYZ Team

35. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

36. PiXYZUnity

PiXYZUnity

@ CSI_Team : Yes, it is indeed possible to use PIXYZ in a Unity built/runtime application. In that scenario, a user UI must be added to your app allowing the end-user to install & activate a PiXYZ license from the runtime app, and load a CAD model, one at a time.
    Importing a full folder/set of files in one time is not possible using PiXYZ Plugin (see PiXYZ EULA). PiXYZ Studio.Batch product would be the solution for such a process.

37. CDCappa

CDCappa

Hi PiXYZUnity!

I have a small question.
    What you see in this video

is it viable in WebGL?

EDIT:
    In my case, local files will not be used, my application would receive an IFC sent by a server.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  38. V-J

V-J

Hi,

I imported a model with metadata into my Unity project.

The goal is to display the data in a UI.

I'm having trouble to get hold of te Name and Value text in the metadata script? The script seems not accessible. Do i need to add a library to get acces?

Hope someone can help me out.

39. Cascho01

Cascho01

First you have to use the namespace:
    using PiXYZ.Import;

Then you reference the Metadata-component:
    Metadata myMetadata = GetComponent<Metadata>();

Then you can access a property, for example:
    string myProperty = myMetadata.getProperty("propertyname");

You may also have a look at the API ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  40. V-J

V-J

@Cascho01

I managed to use; To get and Set a property value.
    But i'm having trouble to get all properties in the shape of a dictonary.
    I tried many ways, but without succes.

My question is how can i read all properties in the metadata.cs at once?

Maybe it is Unity C# Dictionary related, but it would be appreciated if you could help me.

here is a part of my code.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Metadata metadata = selectedObject.transform.root.GetComponentInChildren<Metadata>();
    3. Dictionary<string, string> properties = metadata.getProperties();
    5. goPropData.text = properties.ToString();
    7. // Also tried
    9. Dictionary<string, string> properties = metadata.getProperties();
    11. string propName = properties["Name"];
    13. goPropData.text = propName.ToString();

41. Cascho01

Cascho01

Your dictionary should be fine, but you have to do something like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (string str in properties.Keys)      
    2. print(str + " " + properties[str]);

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  42. newguy123

newguy123

Are there any plans to enable import of data from 3ds Max, including V-Ray material import and conversion? (or Redshift, Corona, Fstorm or any of the other mainstream render engine pipelines)?

43. FelixApplus

FelixApplus

Hello, I'm trying to generate a LOD chain for my photogrammetry mesh (.obj) in Unity, and according to the documentation (https://www.pixyz-software.com/documentations/html/2019.2/plugin4unity/MeshQualityGroup1.html) if I pick "Maximum" quality in the LOD model for LOD0 the plugin will not do any mesh manipulation at all. "The imported mesh will be fully preserved: no optimization will be run." But my LOD0 still looks crunched, the normals and UV is messed up :/
    Whats going on? is there some other checkbox I need to tick?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  44. iSinner

iSinner

According to the documentation, pixyz can import only PXZ format at runtime and only on Windows Standalone x64.
    @PiXYZUnity Is this still the case? and if yes, are there any plans on bringing the runtime import functionality for other formats and other platforms?

My case would be, i need to import DWG files at runtime into my application, on iOS. Is it possible to do this with PiXYZ?

45. Cascho01

Cascho01

You missunderstand the information from the docs. You can import the formats at runtime, I personnally use IFC for runtime archviz imports. Windows Standalone you may be right.

46. newguy123

newguy123

almost a year and no answer :-(

47. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Yah...
    Since there was no replay to my UV mapping question, I end up purchasing Rhino for the conversion of NURBS IGS to poly, RizomUV for UV mapping, MantisLOD for LOD, and testing InstaLOD.

PiXYZ on paper looks awesome having all in one place. I can understand why is not available in the asset store. But I'm afraid of the prize and not having a perpetual license. Anyway, I do not understand the difference between PiXYZ Studio vs PiXYZ Unity... Do we need both?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    newguy123 likes this.
  48. DriesVrBase

DriesVrBase

You only need the plugin. The plugin can export quite a lot and the tool has a lot to offer. If you want extra possibilites you can buy the studio version as well but you don't need it

49. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Anyway, since its not a perpetual license is unaffordable for me.

50. developer_unity224

developer_unity224

Hi there. I'm having this problem too, using the latest plugin version 2020.2.1.9 and Unity 2018.4.14f1 | 2018.4.18f1, it always pops up a Exception while initializing Pixyz plugin : PiXYZPlugin4Unity while trying to activate the product.