Search Unity

Pixels. Everything looks like on a C64 ...

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Perillio, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Perillio

Perillio

Hello guys,

im fairly new to the whole unity-thing and i ran into a problem with my UI.
    Whatever i put in there, it looks like from a 1980s 8-bit game.

Actually trying to put in some Images (as buttons) which are imported PNG with a size of 516x516. I put them onto an UI Image which is 75x75 in size but it looks like the original image was downsized to a very small image and resized so it looks weird.

How can i fix stuff like this ?

Same problem for Text element but there i used the (total stupid) fix to import them with size 180 and set the text down so it looks at least a bit sharp.

A push into the right directon whould be nice :)

greetings,

Perillio

2. Johannski

Johannski

As for text, I highly recommend not using the default text components but Text Mesh Pro (Which is a part of Unity now and will replace normal text at some point), since it uses Signed Distance Fields, which behave a bit like vector graphics.

As for your Image problem: I guess the problem is that your resolutions differ that much. If you want to keep your image texture that large you could calculate the mip maps for the sprite in order to get a better quality small size image. Just enable mip maps in the sprite settings:

upload_2019-3-18_9-37-10.png

If you want to stay flexible and keep the application small you can also change the max size at the bottom. This will rescale the texture (but keep your original in the project), and therefore a smaller version will land in the build taking up less disk and memory space.

3. Perillio

Perillio

Thanks, this works way better than before.
    I found out, that when i compile the scene and run it in player the texture is fine. Its just in editor that it looks that shabby (well, now not that shabby anymore but still its way better after building).

Also i tried the 2019 version today, there its fine even without Mip maps checked. Maybe i messed up anything in my 2018 version.