Search Unity

pixelation question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thegreyman1, Nov 12, 2011.

1. thegreyman1

thegreyman1

Hey guys, I'm not a programmer or anything and despite being a 3D artist I am quite ignorant to the inner workings of graphics engines so the answer to this question may be really simple, so just excuse me if I sound rather dumb.

Have a look at this image, if you will:

This is an image from a relatively early PS1 game. Now just suppose I waned to make a game that was this "pixelated" and "basic" looking... I hope you know what I mean.... Theres very little or no anti-aliasing, its low poly and the textures are tiny but is there anything else I have to do to achieve this look? Like do I need to lower the screen resolution of the browser or anything. I know also that the PS1 was a 32bit system so how does this effect the quality of the visuals? Basically any advice how I can make a modern game in Unity that looks like a PS1 game.... I'm sure this will be very interesting to find out.

And please assume that I am quite a beginner with Unity, because I am quite rusty now....

Thanks!

2. thegreyman1

thegreyman1

P.S. bonus points for anyone who knows the game and car! :)

3. HolBol

HolBol

Well you stated it all. Low draw distance is another :L. But pixelated tiny textures, no Anisistrophic filtering etc. No AA, lots of blillboards, low poly models.

4. ivanzu

ivanzu

The car looks like ford probe but im not sure as i can only see its back.

5. carking1996

carking1996

It's a mazda rx7..

And what everyone else said. Make very low poly models. Small textures, etc.

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Runabout
    1996 Mazda RX-7

Use low poly models and low-res textures. Make sure to use a lot of billboards also. Basically do what everybody else said

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. TehWut

TehWut

unintentional performance boost!! Now that's what I"m talking about!

8. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

To get a pixelated resolution you could render everything at a smaller-than-full screen size with no bilinear/trilinear filtering and no anisotropic and no antialiasing, then grab the render into a texture and then re-draw the texture at full-screen size.

Another way is simply to disable everything that smooths out textures etc, draw to `blocky` coordinate resolution, use nearest-neighbor filtering etc.

In 2D you'd set up a camera which has a coordinate system half as big as the resolution, for example.. .so the screen is 1024x768 but the camera views a 512x384 area.. this will make 2x2 pixels.